Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 22:02:19 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
WO for some 18" bad boys (Read 34516 times)
mrezstreet
Ex Member

WO for some 18" bad boys
10/14/06 at 14:20:51

hey gang...the 28th i got a show i want to put to ed 190v.2's in a WO for 18" subshttp://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=37 take a look at em and tell me what you think....ill put the 4 ed eu700's in a WO for 10's, in a 02 dodge x cad....off 1400 watts rms...and ill put 2 k rms to the 18"...you can got to pics annd video tab and see them play free air Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Re: WO for some 18" bad boys
Reply #1 - 10/14/06 at 19:12:24

it seams the only a few trys at 15" WO....why...is it cuz no one wants to play with the rhough....or is ht e WO not work well on 15" or 18" subs? Roll Eyes

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/14/06 at 19:22:43

Well- you can't fit anything larger in the WO without making the entire box bigger via scaling or some other way.

And as soon as you have to change the design you venture into no-man's land.  You would basically have to re-design the entire box so its works.  I don't know what else to say I guess except that you can do it- we just don't know how it will perform.

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/14/06 at 19:43:29

i have just seen a few 15" wo....what it a guy had the sub mounted in its own chamber outside the standered WO and just used a 36x36 design.....and fired the sub into the side of the box??? ??? man i just bont know...the ED 18 are wicked

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/14/06 at 20:45:19

Main reason you haven't seen it is it doesn't fit in many vehicles. The design is a lot more used for cars and by scaling up to a 15" sub, you are talking a pretty big box. Since you have the van, I would say go for it and see how you like it.
MrEZ, I know you have lots of time and MDF so why not?!
Kick it and let us know how it sounds.

Disclaimer,
The WO is built on a measured angle and reaction via using the single reflex fourth order bandpass enclosure model so scaling offers a number of options when stepping up to an 18. I am one of only a handful of people I know who have ever built bandpass boxes for subs that size.
Good luck

Robert

IP Logged
BigAir
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/15/06 at 01:13:17

So, build it.  I built a 15 and it worked.

IP Logged
dbjunkies
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/15/06 at 03:24:28

how did it do?  also, how big did it end up to be overall?

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/16/06 at 15:12:31

build it...AND BASS WILL COME
bigair...how did it work....and that had to be one big box....but as stated i have room for in me van...so mabe ill slam one out... Cheesy

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/16/06 at 17:33:09

a guy go bigger than 36x36....i guess....i do have 50" to play with......thoughts???

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/16/06 at 18:30:30

My thoughts on an 18" WO
I like scaling this thing so the basic premise is the difference in a 10" Sd and an 18" Sd. After that the numbers are generic since the design is not specific to a certain driver to begin with. I would go with 48"W x 46"L x 20" tall and here are the differences in the design. After this, you would just need to substitute some numbers into the plans for the original and start cutting. I have done this with the 12" version and was very pleased with the really deep output it had. COuld be interesting at very least to see some whoppin 18s in one of these.

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/16/06 at 20:22:57

THATS WHAT I WANTED TO KNOW caps...my bad....next few spare moments i have ill give it a shot Smiley

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/21/06 at 14:01:36

19ov.2 are coming well be in my hands the 25th....sunday...the box ???

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/21/06 at 14:49:43

[quote author=musgofasa  link=1160835651/0#9 date=1161019830]My thoughts on an 18" WO
I like scaling this thing so the basic premise is the difference in a 10" Sd and an 18" Sd. After that the numbers are generic since the design is not specific to a certain driver to begin with. I would go with 48"W x 46"L x 20" tall and here are the differences in the design. After this, you would just need to substitute some numbers into the plans for the original and start cutting. I have done this with the 12" version and was very pleased with the really deep output it had. COuld be interesting at very least to see some whoppin 18s in one of these.

[/quote]

hey mugsie,

dont you thik the 1.25 throat should be kept 1.25 instead of increasi  to 3" doesnt the sixe of the opening controll the bandpass? with the aditional height i imaging port noise wont be a problem? but you have buil way more boxes than me so i take your knowledge very seriously. i would like to one day build a big wo (18s would be fun) and scaleing it  RIGHT is something i have not seen DEFINITIVELY yet   ???

my best guess is to scale the whole box by the difference in driver cone area / size %
?

^ i guess that would make the throat 3" + or - for 18s  :-/

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/21/06 at 15:03:45

this is just for spl...so a fart box works great...and ill take pis with the box on the forklift Cheesy

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/22/06 at 00:01:21

[quote author=60ndown  link=1160835651/0#12 date=1161438583]

hey mugsie,

my best guess is to scale the whole box by the difference in driver cone area / size %
?

^ i guess that would make the throat 3" + or - for 18s  :-/ [/quote]

Actually, now that I do the math, I think it would be between 2.5 and 2.75" but yes the cone area increase is how I made the port size equivalent.
I did the same with the 12" (1.75") and the 15" (2.25") and it sounded pretty great.
I hope this works lol. I can't wait to find out if it pounds!

LAter
Robert

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 10/25/06 at 11:52:34

the subs are 18.3? outside di...with the box above i only have 17.5 across the baffl...should i make another top and bottem, or just move the 12" out to 13.5???so the sub will clear, or put the outside wall to the side of the box not on top?

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 10/25/06 at 13:51:38

EZ
If you put the side wall on the outside, will the sub clear then?
I didn't realize it was going to be that close.
You could also tilt the baffle at an angle, but I would prefer not to do that unless absolutely neccesary.
As long as the volumes don't change a lot, I don't think it will make any discernable difference to the sound.
Let me know what you decide.

Robert

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 10/26/06 at 14:12:01

im ganna just move thw inside wall a bit, and well see haw it works, i think from a spl point it will be fine ??? but well know soon

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/26/06 at 14:24:17

Sounds good!
You got any pics yet?

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 10/26/06 at 17:36:13

BOX WILL BE DONE FRIDAY...THEN THE PICS!  :D

IP Logged
colinreynolds
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 10/27/06 at 05:33:11

The kids are excited too!   Cheesy

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 10/27/06 at 14:35:44

a wo with 18s is gona be so sweet, pity your butchering it for spl? maybe when and if you get bored of a fart box you can modd it back to a sql box?

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 10/29/06 at 15:57:10

i must of messed up guys...it was tuned way tooooo high and i got killed 3 sheets mdf+ and 1 back ( bout killed mr loading that think in to the van) and i didnt hit 135.... pics on my http://www.icixsound.com/vb/icixnation.php?do=view&id=4652&catid=309 you can take a look...might me monday till the are up...be of line a few days...ill get back to ya guys...i need to do a 12" modle and play with it then try out the unchartered turf. the box was makeing funny noises...i stapled screwed and liquid nailed every thing??? Roll Eyes i guess ya never know till ya try ??? NEVER SAY DIE

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 10/29/06 at 21:00:30

Hey Josh!
How high was it tuned???
It might be a simple matter of that port side being too large? Could you slide a board in there to make that hole a little smaller? It is only 1.25" in the original. (If you think the tuning is the problem.
If it only did 135, it might be what I was talking about originally with the whole "size of horn" issues. That was the reason I had that huge design with the horn folding into the center at the front.
I would still love to play with that, but it is one of those things where wasting wood is a definite possibility.
So what's next for the big boys?
Wanna try a TL?
lol
Let me know what's on ya mind.

Later,
Robert

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 10/29/06 at 21:02:22

BTW,
GOod looking job on the box. Wish I could've been there to assist,
How are things going with the road to a new shop?

Robert

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 10/30/06 at 04:01:59

[quote author=mrezstreet  link=1160835651/15#22 date=1162137430]i must of messed up guys...it was tuned way tooooo high and i got killed 3 sheets mdf+ and 1 back ( bout killed mr loading that think in to the van) and i didnt hit 135.... pics on my http://www.icixsound.com/vb/icixnation.php?do=view&id=4652&catid=309... you can take a look...might me monday till the are up...be of line a few days...ill get back to ya guys...i need to do a 12" modle and play with it then try out the unchartered turf. the box was makeing funny noises...i stapled screwed and liquid nailed every thing??? Roll Eyes i guess ya never know till ya try ??? NEVER SAY DIE [/quote]

close the port / throat up to 1.25 inches. you havent wasted the mdf and time, you just need to 'perfect' it.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 10/30/06 at 13:25:14

This is just me double checking- but you did seal the sides of the box right?  I just don't see any pictures with sides on and want to be sure.

If you did and its still making noises- shrink the throat for a higher compression and lower tuning.

If that doesn't work- double check sealed chamber is in fact sealed- no air or movement while the sub is playing.

ANd finally- check the amp settings- I assume you set them up correctly- but often times the difference is a sub sounding blah and good is the Low Pass filter setting (or worse yet the little switch from High Pass to Low Pass).

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 10/30/06 at 13:43:26

You know, I just checked some numbers and me thinks the sealed chamber on those 18s might just be toooooo small.
Assembly shows the baffle board inset into the center boards so that won't be an easy thing to change.
Let us know if you played with it any Josh.
I hate it that it wasn't a success on the first try, but I think it could be worked with maybe.
I had the thought to tell you to seal the box up, cut holes in the top and mount the woofer to the outside to see how it sounds lol.
Hey no experiment is a complete waste.
I would like to hear the difference with the port closed down a lot though. That may be all it needs to completely change. Of course, those 18s just look TIGHT inside there.

Give us an update when you get a chance man!
Later,
Robert

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 11/03/06 at 04:04:31

60...i know that i didnt waste time or wood...im learning.....robert...im going to put em in a 12 cub w 180" port tuned to 35 hz....a tl has crossed my mind
the bos was sealed well the throught can still be changed in my spare time ill play with it....i still thik it will kill stuff if i can tweek it right Cheesy

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 11/03/06 at 09:21:26

That's a thought.
Remember how huge the box designs were that I sent you for 4 15" subs/ It occurred to me that you are in a large van so something large might be in order.
12 cubes tuned to 35hz? that's for only 2 subs right?
180" port? hmmmm I need to look up the definition of TL, that might be approaching it already lol.
Keep us posted. It might be that the current box is still useable, but I am thinking it just doesn't have the volume to develop a wave for that big driver.
Oh well,
Let us know man!

Robert

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #30 - 11/03/06 at 13:55:56

you tried 1nce with that beautiful big wo and now your moving on to a different design?................dont do that, i found with all my W builds they sounded better when the throat port opening was fireing onto a surface with  a small distance between the mouth and the surface, before you take the subs out try the monster wo standing or laying and fireing directly onto a solid surface (floor or an mdf pannel) my wo in a van sounded awful until i got it positioned corrretly, then it sounded awesome. i hope at least you tried it oriented a few different ways before you took it out and gave up?  tried it indoors yet?

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 11/04/06 at 12:08:24

60 i tried fireing it into the cab...roof...and to the back doors the thing is like 300+ pounds lol my astro broke down, so the box was replaced with kids for a week,lol im ganna put the 19ov.2's in a slot port for now. i am working on getting my stereo shop opened again and need to have something that pounds that the kids can see the ed subs...i am a dealed of ed now...so i need to get ed's name out. ill play with the wo on a 12" plan and then see how it realy works and go from that point. hanks guys....robert...tl plains??? lol ???

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 11/05/06 at 15:31:23

The sealed chamber.

Did you build it to the sealed specs of the driver?
Slide the baffle into the cc more.
Your cc looks too large, well the whole bloody thing looks too large.
How are you going to get more spl out of shrinking the port out of the cc?

It looks really boomy and not bassy.

See if there is something you may have missed or not thought about

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 11/05/06 at 20:18:50

[quote author=gexter  link=1160835651/30#32 date=1162740683]
Slide the baffle into the cc more.
Your cc looks too large, well the whole bloody thing looks too large.
[/quote]

Gex,
That was the first thing I was going to suggest until I saw the picture  :(
It looks like the baffle is positioned into the inner boards which means he would have to totally rebuild the box to do that. Of course, if he builds like I do, that would've been the case anyway, lol.

As for closing off the port, I think that it would help lower the frequency some which would help SPL in that size vehicle. He said it was tuned WAY too high.

Of course, Mad man EZ here is looking for some SPL from the gods so it might be that we have to go into some BIG, BIG enclosure designs to get what he is after.

Ask him about the 178 cubic foot tapped line enclosure I sent him!

I need a new job, my brain is turning into Hair fertilizer I think  :-/

Robert

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 11/05/06 at 21:40:51

from the wo plans page,

"Do not adjust the baffle further back in the chamber to reduce its size as a short cut, or you will increase the Q of the box to well over 1.0 (boom boom) "

anyone know how to calculate the 'q' of the 18" monster?

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 11/06/06 at 00:42:51

In case I was not clear..
side it into the CC expanding the sealed area.. not the opposite. if you did that you would have your nasty "boom boom"

I wish I had hair to lose. I already lost it because of my job.

leave the existing mounting hole where it is and make a new mount leaving the old one where it is serving as a brace for the driver to breath through into the " sealed chamber" and firing into the smaller CC " chamber with the port"

Clear as mud?

PS  nice build and just plain massive expanding the cool factor.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 11/06/06 at 01:47:06

Duhhhhhh
I didna think of that Gex  :-/ Undecided Cry Cry

Sometimes you need another perspective, of course the speaker barely fits on the baffle at this widest point. Of course, if it were tilted a bit.......

So Josh,
What have you been up to and what are you working on as far as TL's go?

BTW have you seen the newest pics of Meade's civic?

Sick I tell ya, just plain Sick!!

Later
Robert

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 11/06/06 at 02:45:54

[quote author=musgofasa  link=1160835651/30#36 date=1162777626]

Sometimes you need another perspective, [/quote]

ya when you get busy looking for answers sombody comes along and says something simple. Its only fun if your that person that comes along.

[quote author=musgofasa  link=1160835651/30#36 date=1162777626]

of course the speaker barely fits on the baffle at this widest point. Of course, if it were tilted a bit.......

Robert [/quote]

Exactly... saw big air do it in his over sized WO he said his wife was not at all pleased with the results and it was removed from the house..
I know none of you have ever had something like that happen to you, I myself would never build a subwoofer that is excessive ( well another one anyway)

I wonder if that db12 that JJ420 has not picked up will fit in my sons civic he bought this weekend.

well yes it will, with room to spare!

Now I wonder if my wife will let all that MDF into his car! where did I put that can of shellac?

cya

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 11/06/06 at 03:07:55

obert...the 12 cub slot port is under way....the 18's are gitting sad just sitind on the shelf well 12 cub +2 18" bad boys + 2k power.....and only 180sq " port tuned to res feq of van after the wall is in...port will be removable to chang tuning comp/dd Cheesy

IP Logged
BigAir
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 11/06/06 at 13:02:42

When I built my WO for 15's I scaled the box up by looking at the surface area of the woofers and then made the box that much taller.  That way the port lengths stayed the same.  If I remember right the whole box was still 36x36 (maybe slightly wider, I can't rember and I no longer have it).  The problem was with the baffles.  The angle was so steep that I had to notch the inside of the box to clear the flanges on the woofers. I also had to make sure I could remove the baffles.   I used some pretty small drivers too.  They were nothing like the ov19's that you used.  From what I discovered, it would be impossible to put 18's into a WO and still maintain a true scale to Steve's design.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 11/06/06 at 20:09:16

i still dont understand why we cant scale the wo by the ratio of surface area of the sub? if the ratio of surface area to horn dimensions ? is kept the same, surely it will perform the same......wonnit? my wo21 did ok, plays very low and very accurate for a pair of cheap 6.5 inch drivers.?

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 11/07/06 at 01:15:37

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 11/07/06 at 03:59:39

only 1500....but free shipping....ps i sell ed so i should run em...lol if they wanna give me the hookup and brop the price to 200 ill take 4...lol Smiley

IP Logged
BigAir
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 11/07/06 at 04:13:46

[quote author=60ndown  link=1160835651/30#40 date=1162843756]i still dont understand why we cant scale the wo by the ratio of surface area of the sub? if the ratio of surface area to horn dimensions ? is kept the same, surely it will perform the same......wonnit? [/quote]

Because it's horn.  Horns are tuned by the horn length.  It has to do with wave lengths.  If you make the entire box smaller, you will also make the horn shorter and the tuning higher.  If you make it bigger, you will make the horn longer and the tuning freq goes lower.  Probably too low.  Almost for sure so low that you would lose output.  I would imagine that because the WO is also a bandpass box, the horn length is even more critical to proper tuning.  That's the whole reason why I kept my 18" WO as close to Steve's design as possible and just made it taller/thicker.  Just remember, with horns length matters most.

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 11/07/06 at 22:12:40

well the cc was made per bp specs 3.5 cub and i cannt understand how i can put my 19ov.2's in a 36 " box thay are 18.3" wide and like 8" deep??? made im just om crack Roll Eyes

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #45 - 11/07/06 at 23:33:33

Nah, what did I have there EZ? was it 46"?
I think that this could be made to work in the space you have, but to keep the horn expansion rate and a reasonable length, I would actually need to model it like a real horn instead of a 4th order BP.
I might be able to pull that off now that I am home for a couple days.
I will send you a couple more ideas as I get some time to sit down and play with a calculator and a ruler. Things are finally starting to normalize a bit here, but you never know how long that will last with me.
Let me know how that ported box sounds!
BTW you never said if you saw Meade's new Civic install?

Robert

IP Logged
BigAir
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 11/08/06 at 15:10:17

[quote author=mrezstreet  link=1160835651/30#44 date=1162937560]well the cc was made per bp specs 3.5 cub and i cannt understand how i can put my 19ov.2's in a 36 " box thay are 18.3" wide and like 8" deep??? made im just om crack Roll Eyes [/quote]

That's why a WO for 18's won't work right.  A WO for 15's is pushing it a little too far, but can be done.  With the 19.O's the horn will get too long and lower the tuning to the point where you will lose output.  IMHO, the best bang for your buck with a WO is to build it with 10's.  12's will work good too, but from what I've done and seen not 50% better than 10's like the cone area would seem to dictate.  If you want something radical that will probably work, try building a Imperial with the 18's.  Otherwise and simple ported box will get crazy.

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 11/08/06 at 15:35:33

[quote author=BigAir  link=1160835651/45#46 date=1162998617]
If you want something radical that will probably work, try building a Imperial with the 18's.  
[/quote]

Ya know,
If I sit down and try to figure out more horn theory for 18" drivers, why is it that I don't think I am going to do any better than that?
Quite possible the way to go in the van. You have the room and this thing is going to be right on for what a horn is going to turn into no matter what the configuration looks like.
Hey EZ, want to give it a try?

Robert

IP Logged
mrezstreet
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 11/09/06 at 00:42:30

robert...i have not seen his latest install...Imperial you might have tyo xplan what it is...i havenot look in to it really....the slot port is ganna bumpin by this weekend i think, i need to put 2 3/4" peaces for the front...it will flush mount the subs, and thent the port will look right ( ill make it so i can change ports) so i need another sheet of mdf....lets look at  the  ???Imperial

IP Logged
BigAir
Ex Member

Reply #49 - 11/09/06 at 01:21:24

The Imperials are truely amazing.  The only problem might be in the size of your van.  Imperials like a lot of room and you might be limited with a van.  I'd still give it a try if I had a van.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print