03/29/24 at 14:30:32 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
frequencies (Read 6513 times)
makaveli097
Ex Member

frequencies
10/12/06 at 22:57:11

if you were building a wo enclosure for home audio using your reciever for amplification would you need to use any type of crossover or coil to cut off higher frequencies to the woofers? this assuming you are using an average car audio woofer (rf, jl, infinity).
thanks

IP Logged
musgofasa
Ex Member

Re: frequencies
Reply #1 - 10/13/06 at 00:30:48

Most home receivers don't have a powered "sub" channel.
If you are using one of the main channels (rear ch?) then yes, you would need a crossover to help it out some.
The box is band pass loaded and cuts out a lot of the high end freqs, but it will muddy the output a bit and cause some strange noises from the thing if you run full range sound into those woofs.

My 2 cents  :D Cheesy

Robert

IP Logged
makaveli097
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/14/06 at 00:12:59

does anyone know where i could get a crossover or coil? what would anyone recomend to cut the freq at for home audio. i would guess around 100hz. any thoughts??

IP Logged
dbjunkies
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/14/06 at 04:56:06

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/14/06 at 05:12:05

Your Reciever might have a sub out- most nowadays do.  Or at least mine does.

The next thing then is to look at your amp for the sub.  Usually they have a low pass and rumble filter.

If neither have anything useful- you can active or passive.

Active requires purchasing a home EQ or XO (or my personal favorite- a car audio XO ran off a 120vac to 12vdc transformer)

Passive requires a very large expensive coil. Or coils and capacitors depending on slope.

I would recomend 80-120hz XO point, based on how low you mains will go.  The lower the better for a sub.  The higher the frequency, the sharper the cut you are gonna wanna make also.  Best in my opinion would probably be 12dB/octave at 80hz.

IP Logged
makaveli097
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/16/06 at 20:56:03

thank you, all was helpful. ive ran car components off converters, batteries, various "rigged" ways. i'm trying to stray away from a permanent set-up that requires powering car components. i was thinking in the range of 80-100hz xo point. i should be good from here.

IP Logged
richard03
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/26/06 at 16:52:51

i found the sweet cross point to be3 about 86hx but that was with a box modded for 12's and using Pa drivers (beyma lx60 - www.beyma.com) was also high passsing the main speakers, sounded great.

i was using a digital crossover the behringer dcx2496, not that pricey...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print