Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO w/ 10" or 12" (Read 4191 times)
RandyP
Ex Member

WO w/ 10" or 12"
08/31/06 at 21:17:29

Hi everybody,

I am happy with my 8" WO. It is 36"x36" and the panels are 10" per the design instructions. I want to use the Dayton drivers from parts express   This one: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-110

OR this one:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-120

I will follow Steve's design to the "T" except I know he allows an adjustment in height of the panels to accomodate the 12" drivers. I DO NOT WANT BOOM_BOOM boxes. This is for a serious high-end/home theatre application. I want to ultimately get what I had with my dual-pair of HSU TN1220's which I sold and wish I never had.  :(   It's funny, ya never know what you have until it's gone. BUT, I think I can get what I had easily with two WO's . My ONE 8" WO ALMOST approaches what those two HSU's were doing, albeit it doesn't go as low or play as cleanly at the lower frequencies as the two HSU's I had.
12" or 10" version? which one sounds better for bass extension and SQ? I will be building two WO's and going stereo sub-use Smiley))
Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

My system:

Panny DVD player (used as transport)
Behringer SRC 2496
Behringer DCX2496 (active x-over) THIS PIECE KICKS SERIOUS BOOTY!!!!!! (6-channels of analog outputs, 1 digital AES/EBU input/ 3 analog inputs, ability to go from 6 to 48db/oct. slopes, your choice of Linkwitz-Riley, Bessell or Butterworth-ALL ON THE FLY; adjustable EQ from parametric to high and low pass, the q can be adjusted between .1 and 10 per EQ, AKM 24-bit 96khz ADC and DAC, I use this piece digital-in and analog out(of course) I have nine different EQ's on the mains, 5 different EQ's for the sub- using as SERIOUS room correction for bass modes AND to clean up the 8" WO. My 8" WO NEVER sounded better or cleaner. Good luck finding one because this latest production run sold-out everywhere.
I can now design my own passive crossover-less speaker systems without going out, buying caps, resistors, chokes and figuring out mathematically what values I need, spending the time soldering and assembling it all together- ONLY to find out I don't like the way it sounds- BLAh-BLAH - BLAH. The DCX allows me to save all this time and money and avoid having the signal go thru power-robbing, DYNamics-robbing passive X-over parts until the signal FINALLY gets to the drivers....I have never had a more open-sounding, dynamic system until this piece arrived about two weeks ago.

**Commercial over**

Hammer Dynamics Super 12 in an OB
Audax soft-dome tweeters (came with the Hammer kit)
Manley 80 watt stereo amp for mids,
Behringer EP2500 for bass amplification
Super T-amp for tweeters.
Transparent audio Ultra XL and Super interconnects
Nordost flatline speaker cabling for the mids and highs
10-gauge silver-plated teflon speaker cabling for the bass

I love this hobby/obsession.
Cheers,
Randy

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: WO w/ 10" or 12"
Reply #1 - 09/01/06 at 05:54:39

you could still use your wo the way it is and get a very beefy 8. beefy 8's and 10's
don't worry about the rms, they still work fine on "limited" power. i'm using 150w on a 10 and all i can say is  :)
i'm not disagreeing with the pe options. that 10 in the link you posted is looks very much like steve's dhm 10. you could save a bit more $$ and get steve's dhm.

IP Logged
RandyP
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/01/06 at 14:22:09

Adrian,

Thanks for the reply. Are you using the RL-10 in a WO? I read somewhere on the forum here that large X-max values can muddy up the bass in the WO because of the compressin chambers. Any thoughts anyone? That RL10 looks WAY COOL  :).

-Randy

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/01/06 at 20:16:27

i'm using the 10 in a db-10. since both designs are bandpasses, i don't see any problems. i've seen people use much more beefier 10s (32mm xmax  :-* ) in the wo, with excellent results. ss = great product, even better customer support.
high xmax can cause muddy bass in front loaded horns (just like the wo32). i'm not sure if the same applies to the wo.
4 single 4 10s ( mike, the owner has some in stock, i believe) would make a 4ohm load for you ep2500. 600w / sub. just watch the gains. i've used 500w on mine. the cone got warm  :). that would be a serious ht setup.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print