Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO for PA Usage? (Read 2965 times)
jhines
Ex Member

WO for PA Usage?
08/28/06 at 00:35:19

All/Any,

I have an interesting dilemna.  I am helping the children's minister at my church with some [reasonably substantial] remodeling.  This has/will include some changes to the auditorium's existing sound system.  I have been asked to consider subwoofer options and have a few things brewing in my head.  The problem is that one of the optimum locations for the subs (just due to building/stage layout) requires the box to have at least one smallish dimension.  I came across the WO and wonder if any of you have experience in using this in a full-time Sound Reinforcement application.  Being SR, I need SPL to fill the room but would still like to keep things low enough to "shake" things up.  :)  I would definitely be using two boxes, but may even have room for four should there be need.  The room's finished dimensions will be less than 40'w X 60'd X 18'h (at the highest point in the "attic" trusses) yielding less than 43,200 ft^3.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jon

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Re: WO for PA Usage?
Reply #1 - 08/28/06 at 01:18:50

well 2x WO, better yet, 2x WO32 built into a permanent installation would be "sufficient" for that space if you took advantage of the built in part.  See, if you load a WO, or WO32, in to a corner, you can make it even more like a horn, increasing both the SPL, and the low extension of the enclosures.  There are others here with more experience on horns, and the WO "horn" who can hopefully fill in the blanks for you.

Four would be ridiculous for that space, especially if you stacked tham all in one corner, likely not the kind of experience you seek I would imagine.  

umm, a single Imperial SO would also likely cover most of your needs in the subwoofer dept, make the mains Conventional Imperials paired to some nice DIY wooden horns for the highs and you would have a handsome system indeed.  Likely the 25 sheets of ply for this would cost more than you are willing to spend all by themselves, but the imperials seem to be very tolerant of most any driver.  The SO needs a driver that hits 20Hz comfortably in a 5 cube box, which can sometimes be "tricky", but in either case, a few dollars saved on drivers will likely go unnoticed given the intended application.

There are several threads around here about using either of the subs i mentioned, and the imperials in PA applications.

hope that sheds some light on your question....

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print