Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 01:12:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ROUNDED EDGES OF PORT (Read 12297 times)
dalfe5
Ex Member

ROUNDED EDGES OF PORT
07/21/06 at 16:13:08

THE INSERT IN MY DB10 COVERS ABOUT 1" OF THE PORT.  WOULD IT BE OK TO ROUND THE EDGE OF THE INSERT TO QUIET THE PORT NOISE.  THE REST OF THE PORT IS ROUNDED BUT THE INSERT STILL HAS A SHARP EDGE.  ???

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: ROUNDED EDGES OF PORT
Reply #1 - 07/21/06 at 19:54:08

it would be a good idea.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/21/06 at 23:40:35

Adrian, you have to yell!

IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA!

IP Logged
Gex
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/22/06 at 00:51:45

[quote author=J_Rock  link=1153498389/0#2 date=1153521635]Adrian, you have to yell!

IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA! [/quote]

I am sorry  you will have to speak up.

PS I ROUND ALL THE PORTS WHENEVER I CAN

IP Logged
dalfe5
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/22/06 at 03:39:10

I HAVE TO YELL BECAUSE OF ALL OF THE DISTORTION FROM MY  AM RADIO WITH THE DUAL CONE SPEAKER SITTING ON THE DASH.  i actually posted that while at work and i use all caps there.  sorry.  thanks for the help anyway.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/23/06 at 22:48:03

No problem.   Hope it solves the problem.

IP Logged
dalfe5
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/28/06 at 18:13:56

finished rounding all the edges and man what a difference it made.  no noticeable port noise.  made sure it was all sealed up air tight while i was at it.  i tried it out just sitting on the seat of my truck and it is awsome.  i have tried a box built to jl audio's specs (sealed) and a store bought prefab box.  neither came close to the sound of the deathbox.  the sealed jl box played alot lower but not near the volume.  the sound blends great with my highs.  the bass seems to be coming from the same spot as the highs.  i plan to mount it permanent this weekend so i thing that will help the sound be more solid.  they way it is now the box moves when it hits.  anyway, thanks for all of your help. Cheesy

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/28/06 at 19:07:24

the box moves when the bass hits ? what sub do you have in the box ?
what was the size of the jl recommended sealed box ?

IP Logged
dalfe5
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/28/06 at 19:40:38

it's a jl audio 10w3d2.  i had it sitting on the floor behind the seat but it would vibrate so bad it would move around.  the sealed box size is .625 cf.  the deathbox is set where it has 0.75 cf in the sealed chamber before speaker displacement.  i think speaker displacement is .05 cf.  when i had it in the sealed box it would feel the vibrations in the steering wheel down to about 15Hz.  no real sound other the making things rattle until about 25Hz.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/29/06 at 14:56:50

If the box is bouncing around, it could be a large reason why the DB is lacking low bass.   I always thought my DBs played lower then sealed yet were as fast as sealed boxes, so tightening the box down may help quite a bit.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/29/06 at 19:41:19

1inch mdf  :-*

IP Logged
dalfe5
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/29/06 at 22:00:26

That's what I'm hoping (mounting it solid).  It sounds good now but if it can be better then that makes it even better.  I still have one more box DB to build and thought about using 1" MDF but have not seen it here.  Only found 3/4".  I was wondering about instead of two seperate boxes building one larger one.  For example, instead of being say 10" x 10" x 20" (not real dimensions) make it 10" x 20" x 20". Do the same thing for the insert.  As for as the port goes I would guess to make it the same height but twice al long r maybe put one port on each 10" side.  On the sides it would face the sides of the cab and be like corner loading it.  I know two panels would need to be braced for the extra length but the insert might be enough to brace it. Just a thought. One made out of plexi would look cool.  

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/30/06 at 10:39:09

that would mean messing with the design. i would try to keep the front chambers separate, just because of the general idea of the db : simmetrical pressure on the cone.
or you could try to build the outer box to fit 2 inserts and build an insert that is twice as wide, only have a panel f on each of the 2 smaller sides of the insert. that way, you could cut the ports on the 2 10" wide sides of the outer box.
i've built a db-10 out of 1inch mdf. darn heavy & solid

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print