Send Topic Print
Metric WO3636 (Read 8369 times)
bibster
Ex Member

Metric WO3636
07/12/06 at 10:57:40

Hi all,

My first post here
Has anyone here allready built the WO36x36 in a METRIC version?

I mean: I can't just walk up to my local woodshoppe, and ask the poor bloke to cut me a piece of 19.05 mm thick plywood of MDF (what should I choose, btw) of exaclty 914.4 x 914.4 mm, and some pieces of roughtly 1m x 304.8 mm, right?  ???

I'd say: make it 19mm thick (or 18mm), 91.5 cm wide/deep, and 31 cm high, but who am I to say such a thing?

Anyone?

Regards, Paul

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: Metric WO3636
Reply #1 - 07/12/06 at 18:35:07

well, you can tweak with the size a bit, when dealing with such a thing.
i built a deathbox from 18mm particle board.
i tend to increase the size. let's say you have 914.4mm. i'd make it 915mm.
if you'll have the shop cut it for you it's better to increase the size. i noticed on both my projects that the shop cut the pieces just a tad below what i've asked them. ended up perfect.
i was very close to building a wo for my garden, but i didn't because of the hassle of moving the amps.

IP Logged
Gex
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/12/06 at 20:23:40

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1152701860/0#1 date=1152725707]well, you can tweak with the size a bit, when dealing with such a thing.
i built a deathbox from 18mm particle board.
i tend to increase the size. let's say you have 914.4mm. i'd make it 915mm.
[/quote]

3.75 inch = 9.525 centimeter
when it is .5 inch then 14MM is close enough
0.708 661 417 inch  = 18 millimeter
That pretty darn close
go for the 18 MM not smaller just as Adrian says
we use metric but the lumber yard always talks imperial.

IP Logged
bibster
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/18/06 at 07:31:34

Well,

Got the MDF the otherday (18 mm, 36x36x12) , and bought a really cheap tablesaw (A do have a nice one, but you just can't change the blade's angle, so I thought I'd buy a cheap one that does... Funny bit: This stupid china-made thinggy just turned out really odd: The motor is not wired correctly, so it turns the onther way around!!!! Cry Well, sod it I said, so I just put the blade in the other way, but now all the sawdust ends up on MY side of the saw: Pockets full!!!  :) )

Anyway, Some cuts didn't end up so well done, but the belt sander came in handy. I'll do a big woodfiller job tonight to repair some joints... and then a lot of caulking.
Ow yes, and I still need to fit the little brace in!

Haven't got any 10" speakers for now, so I'll make a temporary baffle, single layer only, to fit some 8"-ers I have laying'round...

Has anyone got a nice system for fitting a removable/replaceable baffle?

What about making the 'piece that forms the port on one end' shorter than needed, still fitting it on the line as if it went to 2" left, 2" up of off the corner?
I'd like to try it this way, so I can try ADDING different, thin layers of MDF to it to 'tune' the port...
And: Should this edge be just square, or would it help if I'd round it up a bit ?
And thoughts on this?

Regards, Paul

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/18/06 at 09:02:11

glad you managed to build it.
imo, it's a good thing to round every edge over which there is air flow.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/18/06 at 17:37:13

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1152701860/0#1 date=1152725707]
i was very close to building a wo for my garden, but i didn't because of the hassle of moving the amps. [/quote]

just buy long speaker wire and leave the amps where they are.

IP Logged
bibster
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/21/06 at 10:42:43

Hi,

Well.... finished!!! (For as far as DIY stuff can actually be 'Finished'..)

Bought some 'el cheapo' stuff for a start, don't feel like spending a lot of ca$h on this project for now, I can allways upgrade later.
So I got myself 2 sphynx-audio SP-W10-SONO 10"-ers, and a very cheap AM5080 plate amp of some some chinese make.

Fit the woofies on the single thickness baffle I had the 8"ers in, facing the 'ported' chamber.
Didn't bother to put the lid on yet, just made it face down on the carpet.

Wow! I was very happy when I turned the volume dail... down that is!

Played, or rather fooled around a bit, with this beerglass+water and the dark side of the moon CD: jumpy! (Just made that to show the thing to my friends over in the Netherlands)

My god, that was fun! I mean the pressure created in the chambers is able to lift the 40-something kilos this thing weights!

okay, that was fun.... Started to really listen a bit, after putting the lid on with some 60 4*40mm screws.
I cant help but finding that I sort seem to hear some resonance... stuck the wires to the cabinet with caulk, nope: still there.

Note that I didn't put the two little braces in (Forgot to saw them, I'll do that tonight, after work) Would that help?

The two 'ports' are not quite exactly a) perfect, nor b) equal. Should I arrange this, so they're exactly 3.18cm (1.25") ?
Would that help cutting of the higher freq.'s?

Regards, and happy WO-ing, Paul

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 08/21/06 at 16:51:22

aim the throat/port into a corner of your room, close maybe 5 or 6 inches.or stand it up so it fires off the floor on short legs (4 or 5 inches) you want to listen to it with the throat/port pointing away from you somehow.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/21/06 at 20:42:51

Listen to 60!
that was the best advice I ever got and it applies to the WO and WO32.
night and day with the WO32. it is 4 inches off the floor in a corner and in my case boxed in ontwo sides and the the sofa ( three inches air space for the WO32 and open on one end to the room.
No word of a lie that it tripled the sound ( as far as the ear goes that is) and never was boomy.

it really worked for me in this case.

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/21/06 at 21:15:37

I just love the video, thanks

IP Logged
bibster
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/22/06 at 03:48:59

jj420,

yeah, that was fun!!! (Note: One shouldn't mess with liquids on MDF, wipe clean right after!)
Without the water, the glass didn't last so long on the WO, so....  :D

Now, placement: As you can see, the way it's located in the video has a very low WAF....
I've placed it (you can't see the spot on the video, pity...) in the left corner of the room, on the floor for now, 'horn'  faceing ceiling, allmost against the wall (skirting + some wires are bothering) with one of the square sides, and about 25 out of the corner with the other side (Note: There's a central heating radiator in that corner)

What should I try: Lift it off the floor some 10cm, or make it face the corner (Thus 'hitting' the radiator) ?

Other question, nothing to do with placement: I've measured, in room that is, the box with a mic just over it, placed like I described before, with FuzzMeasure (osX), and found some oddities:

a) With the sub-Amp (AM5080 el cheapo) XO-ing @ !50 (Way to high) Big Fat bump (> +6dB) @ 35 & 100Hz, than normal downwards, and a huge bump @400Hz....
b) XO @ 50Hz (' normal') still a 'camelback': @35 & @100 okay, but some dip in between, and again this bump @400Hz..

like this: (Sod the 20Kz peak)

Ow, and, er, yes: Some of the speaker's params:
(Told you, really el cheapo)
92dB
Fs = 34Hz
Qms = 3,24
Qes = 0,52
Qts = 0,45
Vas = 145 liters

Should I Mod the case to adapt to this, and get a better response?
Thanks, Have fun,

Paul

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print