04/29/24 at 12:42:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO fullrange (Read 7205 times)
breisch1986
Ex Member

WO fullrange
05/15/06 at 06:02:41

Me and my brother are planing to build a WO 36x36x13.5 using my Infinity 1040's originally we were just gonna secure it to the bed of his 84 Toy 4x4. But I had an Epiphany yesterday, what if I run it fullrange, or build 2 and use Daytons fullrange in the other? I was just wondering if this could be done and would it sound decent? Decent enough for parties and such. I'm still a beginner so don't confuse me. thanks for the input.

IP Logged
phd5000
Ex Member

Re: WO fullrange
Reply #1 - 05/15/06 at 16:09:29

i belive it will do up to 5khz not full range.... that what the plan's says i all so belive its said thats best for home audio

one more thing u should check out befor building is will your speakers even do fullrange??? more then likely not.
u would probly be better off doing up to say 500hz then letting a pair of mid/high's take over.

this is what im going to be doing. for my home system
running 4 10's ( 2 per side ) tuned up to 500 then let my 3(per side) x 4.5 kappa's take over from 500hz..

now what do i got to do to make this box able to do 500hz..
im lost with tuning anyone?

IP Logged
breisch1986
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/16/06 at 02:23:22

thanks phd5000 Smiley. I guess I'll have to break out the old Alpine SPS-693 6x9s. Not a bad set of speakers with decent volume in my sentra. I just wanted to try a unique approach. Your plan also sounds appealing, let me know how it turns out.

IP Logged
phd5000
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/16/06 at 04:22:37

[quote author=breisch1986  link=1147672961/0#2 date=1147742602]thanks phd5000 Smiley. I guess I'll have to break out the old Alpine SPS-693 6x9s. Not a bad set of speakers with decent volume in my sentra. I just wanted to try a unique approach. Your plan also sounds appealing, let me know how it turns out. [/quote]

i will do
right now im looking for the 10's that fit the specs of the box & handle the power i have i have a 1100 rms x 1  @ 4ohms or 800rms x 2 @ 2 ohms ...
so far i have blowen every woofer that this amp comes across
& i dont mean cheap ones either...

a earthquake subzero 12" ( 1200 rms so said)
a mephis elvis 12"
2 x 10 jlw3 ( first bass note poped one coil)

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/16/06 at 04:50:38

The infinity 1040 will perform in a WO better than a sealed or ported cab and go much higher than normal...

Problem is, it sounds like shit when midrange comes from behind you in massive quantities.

Try hooking up just your front speakers.  Than find out where they drop off sharply.  XO your WO in at that frequency.  Then test the WO in phase and out of Phase till it sounds like the Bass the WO is making is coming from your front speakers.  Thats what I have done, and I only touch my HeadUnit's EQ when an MP3 thats way to tinny comes on, just to cut the trebel a bit.

So double check, your plan would work fine, the WO would help extend the subs' range upwards, but the directionality of those speakers will make you wish you had it doing sub-only duty.

IP Logged
breisch1986
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/16/06 at 05:21:07

thanks J-rock, this input is really helping me, however, I'm still interested in the fullrange version.(plus I'm stubborn) So, I think I will make the throat pieces removable for toying with till I find what I like. Also can anybody recommened a good but cheap and effecient full-range 10? Also, I'm not quite sure what steve means by rotating the baffle 180 degrees. I realize I'm gonna get about 5K hz with a 3" throat, I just wanna try it. ???

IP Logged
breisch1986
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/16/06 at 05:23:50

Another question for you also J-rock, are you using the 2 channel wiring diagram on decware's website? If so, how does it sound?

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/16/06 at 06:17:20

nope.  

I lost my password for awhile and recently found it.  I plan on implementing the diagram to see how it sounds within 2 weeks from now though.

If you go the 2 WO route then, with one being the higher woderange, I would try this driver:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-332

Otherwise for fullrange including sub duty, (a single WO in other words) you are going to spend big bucks trying to find a decent 10 to go low and high.  2500Hz is about the limit of most tens that go down to 40Hz.

Also, when steve talks about rotating the baffle 180 to increase HF production, I believe he means to flip the baffles so the cone points to the throat.  It could mean however so that the baffles angle towards the throat themselves.  Picture:

*Notice*  This last picture is pure speculation by myself.  It very well could be what steve meant, however it could just as easily by nothing like what steve meant.

IP Logged
breisch1986
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/16/06 at 06:22:48

thanks, when you do the time correction let me know how it sounds. Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print