Send Topic Print
wo help...... thx (Read 21976 times)
phd5000
Ex Member

wo help...... thx
05/12/06 at 05:52:36

im planing on a wo box for my 2 polk mm2084 8"

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/specs/mm2084/

i have built a few box's ( all sealed ) and have a ton of wood working experance so building this is not a prob but i dont really understand "tone porting" any help would be great.....
what would be best to run the woofers i have....

thx again  im a rookie on a mission Smiley

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Re: wo help...... thx
Reply #1 - 05/12/06 at 07:00:21

I don't really understand your question?  Are you looking for what amp would work well?  Or perhaps how big you should make the WO?

IP Logged
phd5000
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/12/06 at 08:10:28

ya waht size would be best......  for the speakers i have
i have allways just bult boxes to specs ( sealed ) i dont really understand the whole bandpass/porting  

here's the box i was going to build...
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/subbox/subbox_plan.php?id=45&mesurements=stand...

but the wo looks better & probly sounds better

IP Logged
phd5000
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/12/06 at 10:11:57

so i guess what my q is

1 what size  should i make my seald chamber
2 how would i "tune " this to 43 hz... im lost when it comes to this
thx again guys for any help
heres the specs from polk

Recommended Enclosure Sealed / Ported / Bandpass
Resonant Frequency 43 Hz
Qms 15.13
Qes .68
Qts .65
Vas 0.562 cu.ft./15.9 L
Bl 10.2 Tesla Meters
Sd 34.72 sq.in. / 224 sq. cm.
Xmax (linear) .709 in. / 18 mm.
Le 1.84 mH

IP Logged
phd5000
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/13/06 at 04:18:17

time to cut some angles.... i have the back & 2 sides done..
i made it 36 x 24 it made the seald chamber .51 & the speakers call for .40 or .46 i got 2 numbers from 2 free programs so all start at .5 and work my way to under .40 to see waht sounds best..

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/13/06 at 06:07:56

Sorry I could not get back to you, party at my friend's who is leaving for Iraq.

Your plan sounds best to me.  Remember to adjust the sealed chamber by adding or removing material(add a chunk of wood in there or take some out).  Moving the baffle will mess with the sound in a bad way...

IP Logged
phd5000
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/13/06 at 08:30:47

no worrys man i got it right i think... we will find out in the next few days im hoping to have it screwed & glued by early morning  

i will make sure to add and not move anything around...

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/13/06 at 17:27:51

[quote author=Mr.J_Rock  link=1147413156/0#5 date=1147496876]
Your plan sounds best to me.  Remember to adjust the sealed chamber by adding or removing material(add a chunk of wood in there or take some out).  Moving the baffle will mess with the sound in a bad way... [/quote]

DITTO.
moving the baffle back would be the worst mistake you could make.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/13/06 at 20:30:58

I'm looking at your drawing and noticed, on some of the walls you put the board on one side of the line, and in other spots you did the opposite. It looks like the second segment of your horn is HUGE incomparison to the first (throat) segment.

Does anyone else understand what I'm trying to say? Look closely at his board placement in relation to his lines, in the 2nd picture.

IP Logged
phd5000
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/13/06 at 20:55:49

yes i noticed that last night
it looked funny to me thats why i painted it so i could see with  out all the lines it was cunfusing me now that its painted i see witch 2 pices where mis marked so witch one should i go with or should that line be center? i did not see any detale about this ini the plans.....

thx guys

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/13/06 at 21:55:45

Have not been in a WO for awhile but I think Jets right.
did you place the boards on the wrong side of the line?
or wrong measurements.
could be just my eyes and the angle.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/14/06 at 01:11:13

Put the boards of the triangle on the outside of the lines.  

The boards for the horn flares directly across from the triangle sides should be on the inside of the triangle.

The 24 x 36 version's first bend looks weird compared to the 36 x 36 version.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/14/06 at 01:14:27

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/14/06 at 04:20:40

^^^ wut hee sed ^^^

IP Logged
phd5000
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/14/06 at 09:32:41

thx guys,
cuz of this i did not get it together today as planed we had grand opening  at are shop so i was to damn busy i will get on this in the morning i redrew out the pieces where there gonna be.. all upload pics in the moning... thx again fior all the help

IP Logged
garymck
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 05/14/06 at 10:09:00

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused as to the placement of some of the boards. The diagrams in the plan clearly show that the small triangle goes inside the lines, yet you are saying that it goes outside? The other board is ambiguous in the plan as the line runs down the middle of the board in the diagram? Do we have a definitive answer?

The photo also shows the position of the boards defining the mouth of the horn drawn inside the lines (ie making the mouth slightly smaller, yet the diagrams show these boards on the other side quite clearly............

Que???

I'm thoroughly confused - I had mine laid out per the plan but now I'm not sure - which is correct, plan or not?

cheers
gary

IP Logged
Zygi
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/14/06 at 17:21:15

Gary,

The layout lines are the horn lines everything goes on the opposite side of the the line making the sealed chambers smaller.

BobZ

IP Logged
phd5000
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/14/06 at 19:17:57

[quote author=Zygi  link=1147413156/15#16 date=1147623675]Gary,

The layout lines are the horn lines everything goes on the opposite side of the the line making the sealed chambers smaller.

BobZ [/quote]

what about the port side?>
& if u say the "sealed chamber" is "smaller" then the piece that j-rocked fixed on the pic is right & i have to move the other side in?

and then i all so have to move my "horn" piece to the inner side making my seald chamber smaller

IP Logged
phd5000
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/14/06 at 19:21:36

[quote author=garymck  link=1147413156/15#15 date=1147597740]Hi all,

I'm a bit confused as to the placement of some of the boards. The diagrams in the plan clearly show that the small triangle goes inside the lines, yet you are saying that it goes outside? The other board is ambiguous in the plan as the line runs down the middle of the board in the diagram? Do we have a definitive answer?

The photo also shows the position of the boards defining the mouth of the horn drawn inside the lines (ie making the mouth slightly smaller, yet the diagrams show these boards on the other side quite clearly............

Que???

I'm thoroughly confused - I had mine laid out per the plan but now I'm not sure - which is correct, plan or not?

cheers
gary [/quote]

me to man..... thats why i painted the sheet after drawing it out.....

im glad i have not cut any pieces other then the out side haha

IP Logged
phd5000
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 05/14/06 at 20:23:04

ok if u say "small seald chamber" then the plans are wrong on the double wall thats clearly on the port side.......?

good thing i check this to as i would have put one on each side of the line.......
im gonna wait tell we get some clear answer's on this

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 05/15/06 at 17:27:31

I choose to have you move 3 boards so that the horn lines up.

Basically, put the boards on the inside of the lines to make the chambers smaller, just make sure these lines are straight:

IP Logged
phd5000
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 05/15/06 at 19:17:23

im sry jrock but your giving 2 dif detales

you are saying "make the chamber smaller"
but drawing it bigger on the pic.....??
i think your confused on the tringal come out becuz i have my boreds layed out wrong

the 2 top horn piece's  should be on the inside so that the chamber is smaller ( the start of the horn should be 8" from the i9n my layout i did it backwords  so i marked out the piece's that will no longer be used ( black marker) when doing this that would line the triangle corners to the horn corners as u said but not if moving them out like u say... do u understand where im coming from?

next if i move out the start of the horn ( by the throt then this would be making the sealed chamber larger & the port smaller is this waht i want? or should this oine stay inside and move the left side one in so that they all match up.

my guess is the lay out lines are for the outerside of the horn. all the way around the box...

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 05/15/06 at 21:48:41

Ignore what J_rock is saying, for the moment, and build it according to his drawings. His drawings are correct, but I think the confusion lies in his wording.

IP Logged
phd5000
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 05/15/06 at 22:43:55

[quote author=Jet-Lee  link=1147413156/15#22 date=1147726121]Ignore what J_rock is saying, for the moment, and build it according to his drawings. His drawings are correct, but I think the confusion lies in his wording. [/quote]

are u sure..... for sum reason i think his word are right and his pic is wrong.... i belive its the other side that needs moved in not this side out
this will make the horn port o most 9" from the edge not 8"

it will allso make it to where the inside of the port dont line up to the center

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 05/15/06 at 23:53:00

I'm sure.

Or you could just not listen to those that have successfully built multiple Wicked Ones.

Embarrassed

IP Logged
phd5000
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 05/16/06 at 00:27:21

k i just want to make sure thats all.....

so all board's go to the outside of the lines making the sealed chamber larger & the port smaller.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 05/16/06 at 04:45:58

My wording and pic are correct.  Just a little confusing.

The key is that those lines exsist and are straight.  Move them to the insides of the lines you drew or the outside, just so long as the lines I drew are straight.  

So to rephrase what I said earlier, put all the boards on the inside of the lines to make the chambers smaller and the horn larger, OR put them outside to make the chamber larger and horn smaller.  The first way is best, as it increases efficiency by making the horn larger.  But either way, the lines I drew need to be straight, either where they are in my pic, or on the lines you drew.  

LOL  Its fun attempting to write an explanation for something that could be solved by a simple pointing of the finger in real life.

IP Logged
phd5000
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 05/16/06 at 20:29:26

thx for  the help j-rock & jet lee

i think im gonna go with them on the inner side to make my chamber a lil smaller as this is what the speaker wants and u say a biger horn has better effciency so thats waht im after..

IP Logged
breisch1986
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 05/17/06 at 04:54:50

the box is looking good so far. I wanna start building mine this weekend.

IP Logged
phd5000
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 05/17/06 at 20:15:27

i need to get over to the shop to use the table saw.... i been busy moving in to my new place i should have tome to finnish this up today i hope..... i cant wait...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print