Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 17:37:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Slightly sclaed WO with 12s? (Read 10022 times)
Cygnusia
Ex Member

Slightly sclaed WO with 12s?
04/26/06 at 21:15:18

Hello there, first time poster here...

I'm prepping for a WO build of 34x34 in, due to space worries for fitting in a 1993 Ford Thunderbird (ok, I have plenty of space, I'm just worried about actually getting it in there Wink . ) I am going to be using a couple of Pioneer 12's that came out of my last box that was in a Pathfinder (RIP). I'm on a tight budget, so buying new speakers is out of the question right now.

I have laid out the design on my computer, and I am having difficulty with the speaker placement. Is a 34WO with 12s feasible, or is it just going to be too tight a squeeze?

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Re: Slightly sclaed WO with 12s?
Reply #1 - 04/27/06 at 04:44:03

Check out the "WO for 15's pics" thread, about a dozen threads down the list.  Anything is possible.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/27/06 at 04:59:08

it will definetaly be possible ot fit the 12s, assuming they aren;t incredibly bulky.  And scalling down slighty shouldn;t really effect that  much.

I would try to go 36x something though, that way you can fit for sure, and won't mess with designs.

If ya can't though, the first paragraph is all you need.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/27/06 at 04:59:46

I meant to respond to this earlier, but work was pretty busy today...

I would think, off the bat, that it would too small for good low end extension. I say that because, I've read a TON of the WO and WO32 threads on here, and general concensus seems to be that 'smaller than designed means less low end', and I do believe the 36" WO is designed for 10's(someone correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't bought any plans) so putting 12's in that one is already a stretch.

Now, I've got 2 10's in a 24"x24"x14.5" modded WO and my comp. freq. is 52hz. Now, I've put 2 12's in essentially a 36"x12"x14.5"(LxWxH) WO (placed differently, check out "At it again") and it's comp. freq. is 62hz.

If at all possible, I'll re-iterate what I've heard others say... "Build the original first".

-------------------------------

"I'd rather have the original, in it's original form, to know what I'm destroying."

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/27/06 at 05:13:56

Jet, the plans are free for the WO, if you haven't seen them, check em out.  The WO page was actually my intro to Decware.  I saw the graph of SPL vs frequency response, the one that modelled Fosgates in a 4th order bandpass and also a WO.  The WO has something like 10 db more output.  I thought it was a bunch of internet hype, like all the rest but figured it would be easy enough to try.  And wouldn't you know it, the crazy thing worked as advertised.  On to the imperials...

IP Logged
bassboy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/27/06 at 05:16:52

Cy, just to be clear, although it can be done, I'm with the other guys.  I would make damn sure the original would not fit before messing with it.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/27/06 at 05:20:18

Oh, I know it's free, but I don't remember if the plans called for 10's or 12's.

They were also my intro into the site. I was looking for an unusal type of subwoofer enclosure to put in my car, and came across that, in Google Image Search.

Whenever I (or a friend) get the room, we're building a (couple) Imperial(s) (SO's?) and setting them up as Steve has them for a workbench.

IP Logged
Cygnusia
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/27/06 at 13:35:14

Ok, I will see if I can go with 36x32-34. I'll also measure my trunk opening more precisely to make sure that I can squeeze the larger box through that bottleneck. Guess it's time to blow the dust off some of my 3D modelling software again...

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/27/06 at 13:52:47

Here's what you do....

1) Got to Wal-Mart (or local grocier) close to closing time.
2) Get a few big boxes.
3) Build a box to the outer dimensions of your intended box.
4) Brace it internally, a lot. You don't want it flexing.
5) Check for fit.
6) If needed, adjust size until it fits, then model your box accordingly.

IP Logged
Cygnusia
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/27/06 at 20:07:21

Excellent idea! I was thinking about making a mock box for fitting purposes, but wasn't sure what I could use. I can start with a 36x36 and strip it down until it gets past the entrance of the trunk.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/27/06 at 20:15:46

bah

I just buld it and worry abotu fitting it later.  If you can;t fit it in, build it in the trunk.

no one can steal it if it can;t fit in or out.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/27/06 at 21:39:12

I've tried building it into the trunk, the problem was when the time came to put the top on.  :'(

IP Logged
Cygnusia
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/28/06 at 13:37:52

The last time I had one that wouldn't fit, I had to pull the back seat out of the car. I just don't have the patience for that anymore. Smiley I'll have very little clearance between the top of the trunk and the box itself, so building it inside the trunk isn't really going to be an option.

Oh, and by the way, thank you all for the input! I'm not used to so many posts after a first posting on a forum... in many places the "newbies" get ignored.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/28/06 at 17:24:58

I would build to what ever specs it takes to get it in the trunk. The WO is a forgiving design and the only thing that would worry me is the throat size and the port size. I not at all an expert but I have WO(36 x 36) and my friend has the WO(36 X 24). Both have outstanding output with the big one playing a little lower. As for speakers I found out any speaker will work great in the WO. El cheapos, Series IIs, Pioneers, and the Dayton HOs. Many people have scaled the WO up and down so making just a tad different(smaller) should not make a huge difference. As for the 12" woofer just build it and BOOM!   HT-EXT

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print