04/29/24 at 15:47:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WO (Read 5166 times)
GemaRastem
Ex Member

WO
04/25/06 at 02:38:14

I'm building a wo for my ht. I plan on using 2 of these http://cgi.ebay.com/Image-Dynamics-12-OEM-Overstock_W0QQitemZ9714873044QQcategor...
do they have too much xmax? I plotted it in winisd, but I hate that program and I dont think it's accurate. Would it be better to use the free wo design with these woofers, spend the $10 and get the plans for the ht specific one, or just use different woofers?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: WO
Reply #1 - 04/25/06 at 10:42:14

ht specific wo ? plans for 10$ ? what's that ? i've never seen it maybe you mean the wo32...that's a whole diffrent story.
people have used re xxx10s(32 mm xmax) and re sx 12 (20mm xmax) in the wo. the ids are puny compared to those. so it's not too much xmax. you can trust win isd (the pro version), but i wouldn't bet on the accuracy. since id reccomends .70 cf for sealed, i guess they will work in the wo.

IP Logged
djman37
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/05/06 at 14:51:02

use the ID 12" per the WO plans.  I used the 'taller' WO mod.
I think the 'other' design is blueprint only and $40. Angry

I built the taller WO for 12's and used RE SE12's.  It also sounded great with my MUCH lesser polk gnx124's.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/05/06 at 16:02:10

Xmax that high should not be a problem for HT use.  You run into problems with High XMax woofers in a frontloaded horn with a compression chamber when you expect them to accurately produce all bass.  When you go higher in frequency, the compression chamber will do what it says: compress the wave front.  When transients are expected to be produced, they are lost in the compression and the bass becomes muddy.

But if you are using it for low frequencies, whith transients being played on other speakers (midwoofers) then that xmax will eb fine.

Or if you are using it for higher bass, the really low notes won't be there to muddy the sound.

The WO can be used for everythign too if you want, but with higher Xmax, do not expect incredible accuracy.  So a lower xmax driver would be in order.

In my opinion, that driver isn't to extremem in the Xmax where compression would really be a problem anyways, so it should work fine.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/05/06 at 17:09:44

Thanks for that, J. Never knew that about high XMax drivers.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/05/06 at 18:39:10

It really only has to do with High Xmax drivers in front loaded horns that use a compression chamber, i.e. the WO.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print