Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 16:14:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Funny thing happened today... (Read 6434 times)
trashfire
Ex Member

Funny thing happened today...
04/10/06 at 23:01:10

I think my HW may have been alive and self aware.  I see parts express running a sale on some cheap goldwood 10's.  I have a pair of old 10" KLH monitors that need replacing so I ordered a pair. Then I figured I might as well get 2 more to build a WO32, just to try it.  

Well, I think the HW knew I wasn't loyal at that point.  Now, I've been working in IT for many many years and I know computers run on the pressurized smoke system.  I didn't realize subwoofers did too.  I let some of the smoke out of my 15's this afternoon.

Kicker said they'd handle 1000W a piece.  Well, I didn't get even close to pushing that (yes it was clean power) when they started making some nasty noise only describable as a death rattle and then the smoke.

I don't know nearly as much as many of the forum members here when it comes to the internals of a speaker.  So just for my education, what happened?

I pulled out one of the subs and it appears intact, however the cone moves freely where before there was some resistance.  There's also that funky burnt electronics smell and of course the smoke.

Also, just kicks, how do you disassemble a speaker (or can you)?  I'd like to see the internals.

Thanks all.

Better get crackin on the deathbox for the 12's and now the WO32 for the 10's...

Also need some febreeze to get rid of that funky smell in my theater...

Chris

IP Logged
stvcmty
Ex Member

Re: Funny thing happened today...
Reply #1 - 04/11/06 at 00:25:36

This page http://colomar.com/Shavano/recone.html does a good job describing speaker damage, along with how to take them apart.

Stv

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/11/06 at 05:53:12

[quote author=trashfire  link=1144710070/0#0 date=1144706470]

Better get crackin on the deathbox for the 12's and now the WO32 for the 10's...
Chris [/quote]

Don't you mean cookin?

the little wires that go round and round got really hot not unlike a filament wire in a light bulb..
the problem is that there is oxygen and lots of coating on the wire that keeps the wire from shorting out so it can create a magnetic field...
So it melts and burns that little thin coating and before the wire completely seperates it may make a smelly mess.

Too bad in my book. I never fry a driver that I like...

IP Logged
trashfire
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/11/06 at 14:09:23

Nobody ever said I liked those drivers...  Quite honestly the HWK left something to be desired.  It just didnt cut it.

I think I may need an IMP SO.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/11/06 at 15:21:00

Can't say I have been impressed with the HWK either but I have only built one and tried about three differant drivers in it..
So more builds will tell..
The most amazing of the designs so far have been the WO and WO32 and a Jenson Imperial hack..

I was just buggin ya about the driver.
Its odd how many people fry drivers.. I have not burnt one up for over 15 years.. cross my fingers. Smiley

IP Logged
trashfire
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/11/06 at 21:51:40

I want that "not for the faint of heart" or "people with pacemakers should not use this product" type system.  I thought the HWK would be it.  Guess I have to step up or lower my expectations.  Or put 1 in each corner...

I wanted to build a WO / WO32 just for the fun of it and see what all the fuss was about.  I'm not expecting the pound you in the chest thump from a WO but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

It'll have to do until Steve D releases the Imp SO plans or at least in a readable / followable format.   Smiley

I also need some serious room treatments. My room is almost perfectly 20' square and I know there has to be standing waves abound.

Maybe just save myself the trouble and do like 3 CerwinVega 15" strokers across the bottom of the screen.

Thanks Stv for the link, that was interesting reading.  

For the record, this was my first casualty...  :)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print