square sub in a db? (Read 9050 times)
60ndown
Ex Member

square sub in a db?
04/10/06 at 00:09:33

im going to build a db for my 15" kicker L5

http://www.wholesaleconnection.com/productDetails.aspx?product=40&refer=1

i paid $100 from a guy on another forum Wink

would you build it with the panel in front of the sub square or round (magnet  in sealed section)? its going to be an experiment obviously but i would appreciate everyones advice and ideas before i waste my time and wood.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: square sub in a db?
Reply #1 - 04/10/06 at 11:01:10

realy tough choice about that panel in from of the sub. i would try it first with a round cutout, then with a square cutout. i remember someone asked in the past about using kickers, but never got an answer

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/10/06 at 14:14:23

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1144627773/0#1 date=1144663270]realy tough choice about that panel in from of the sub. i would try it first with a round cutout, then with a square cutout. i remember someone asked in the past about using kickers, but never got an answer
[/quote]

trying the round and then the square means time and work? why would you try round?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/10/06 at 14:19:55

i *guess* it has the shape has something to do with box acoustics, not with speaker shape...
i may be wrong saying this, but the shape of the sound waves isn't influenced by sub shape.
edit : look at the long discussion about db w/ kicker https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Deathbox;action=display;num=... Wink

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/10/06 at 15:19:40

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1144627773/0#3 date=1144675195]i *guess* it has the shape has something to do with box acoustics, not with speaker shape...
i may be wrong saying this, but the shape of the sound waves isn't influenced by sub shape.
edit : look at the long discussion about db w/ kicker https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Deathbox;action=display;num=... Wink [/quote]

i dont have time to read all that  ;)

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/10/06 at 15:26:09

oh, well, at least i've tried  ;D

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/11/06 at 05:28:33

California

Is this a trick question?
You wanna fit a square sub in a round hole? and put a DB12 on steroids?   My My My.....

I answered that old thread in full detail with intense thought and research. I was on the phone with Kicker as well as multiple E mails. When one of the technical heads of R & D met with me at my lab we went over the transmotional properties as well as the dampended factor that gives the DB its amazing ability to handle excessive wattage.
We decided to silicon gummy bears to the wall of the DB and reinforce the sides with popsicle sticks.
The results were amazingly sweet when the voice coil heated up.

I am sorry to say that because of the objectional photos of melted gummy bears that was posted, I was forced to remove all of my post.

Cruelity to Gummy bears is considered abusive and I may be facing a law suit with the unnamed candy maker Daree.

Oh wait !! you were serious??

Square

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/11/06 at 05:43:51

Can you tell I am back at work and bored Grin

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/11/06 at 23:20:57

ROUND HOLE

Why?  Because it is in the design and you should never experiment with Steve D 's Designs what-so-ever.

But for real, the only reason the circle hole is in the DB12is to make it behave like the original DB10.  The flow of the air is what makes the box perform so well.  So keep the hole, keep the flow, Keep the Amazment.

Gummy bears might work though.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/12/06 at 00:44:06

I agree with J rock now that I am all serious.
its not about surface area but air flow.

If you change the hole it changes the flow. The DB is not just a simple box, if you think that, read the papers on the DB10

The baffle design is unique.

I am messing with a DB 12 sealed chamber at the moment. I am attempting to reduce resonant peaks by baffles, foam and maybe stuffing.. Everything is to spec but the sealed chamber is up for play.
I am not in a hurry to finish it because I can't do any measuring of the changes as of yet.. still need a mic and some cords to finish my Speaker testing PC..
Other project are taking all my time at the moment also. the DB has been sitting for three weeks now. It should be interesting if ever get around to it. there is a limit to the play area because of the movement of the baffle. Anyway if i do decide to experiment as time comes availiable I will start thead on it.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/12/06 at 04:53:15

round it will be Grin

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/12/06 at 14:50:41

excellent choice sir. i hope you'll enjoy it.
by the way, are you using that "db for 15" topic as a guideline for scaling up ?

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/13/06 at 00:27:00

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1144627773/0#11 date=1144849841]excellent choice sir. i hope you'll enjoy it.
by the way, are you using that "db for 15" topic as a guideline for scaling up ? [/quote]

no, but ill go look 4 it.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/13/06 at 18:26:33

linky
deathbox for a 15  :-* Kiss Kiss

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/13/06 at 21:08:38

that is in fact a rather genius thread, I am pretty proud of my work there. hehe

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print