Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DBK-12, Grrr! (Read 25816 times)
Loudy5
Ex Member

DBK-12, Grrr!
03/12/06 at 00:22:29

First time poster, long time lurker!  

Anyway, I just built a 12" Deathbox and am unimpressed so far.  I am hoping it is just a tuning thing for I have not spent a lot of time messing with it yet.   Cry

I have a 2000 GMC Yukon and have a WO I built several years ago loaded with Xtant 10" subs I was originally going to use.  However, I did not want to take up that much space and thought I would try a DB for a DVC Orion NT12 I had laying around.  Before this, I had the Orion in a 1 CF internal volume sealed box as per the recommended specs.  Quite musical with plenty of bottom end but not enough output to fill the truck.  I am pushing the sub with a Rockford P5002 which i believe is rated at 125 wrms x 2 at 4 ohms in stereo.

Anyway, I built the box and have found the same issues I have read from other intial impressions.  It is peaked in the upper frequencies and has very little low bass out output.  It is loud and punchy but the sound quality is poor and there is no lower extension.  I have the lp x-over set at probably 70hz.  I have moved the insert from one end to the other with little change in response.  I have not sealed the insert yet but had the pieces cut with very tight tolerances.  (Before loading the sub I could move the insert relatively easily.  With it installed there is a ton of resistance so i think it is air tight enough for tuning.)  I have an active crossover I could probably install pretty quickly to try and force the response i am looking for but i was hoping I wouldn't need it.  

Sorry this was long winded!  I am a newbie to the forums and am hoping to make this thing worth my time so far!  The wicked one is simply awesome and i hope this will be too. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Re: DBK-12, Grrr!
Reply #1 - 03/12/06 at 02:56:08

1.by switching from a wo to a db you have halved you surface area for drivers.

2.dvc driver? you sure your coils are not out of phase?

3.try insert close to bottom 2 inches close,

4. point opening towards rear of vehicle.

5. get a bigger amp Wink

6. sensitivity of new driver might be less than those in the wo

just my first thoughts?? dont give up on it, it is an excellent desighn Grin

IP Logged
Loudy5
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/12/06 at 04:04:01

Thanks for the reply.  

I am pretty sure the coils are wired correctly but it is worth a shot to check.  It is currently facing the tailgate. As for the amp, it should be able to push the 12, but I agree that more would be nice!  :-* As for the insert location, do you mean 2" from the end opposite the vent opening?  I intend to spend some quality time crawling around the back of the truck tomorrow sliding this insert around.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/12/06 at 04:43:03

[quote author=Loudy5  link=1142126549/0#0 date=1142122949]First time poster, long time lurker!  
..... I am a newbie to the forums and am hoping to make this thing worth my time so far!  .....   [/quote]

Your time on the forum will be greatly enhanced if you can maintain a sense of humor. Grin

Many who have built a DB have the movable insert partially covering the port in order to tune it low enough for their needs. Moving the insert away from the port will raise the tuning frequency. Towards the port, even obstructing it slightly, will lower the freq.

IP Logged
Loudy5
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/12/06 at 04:48:19

Quote:
"Your time on the forum will be greatly enhanced if you can maintain a sense of humor."

Ha yeah, I frequent another forum where a sense of humor is required for a pleasant stay.

I slid the insert so it was just barely overlapping some of the vent.  Maybe I need to bring it farther?

IP Logged
Hotsauce
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/12/06 at 09:05:43

I have the 10" DB, but mine sounds best with only about 1¼" of the port open.  It looks wrong, but it sounds right.

You have the voice coils parallel, right?  Just checking.

John C.

IP Logged
Loudy5
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/12/06 at 14:36:55

[quote author=Hotsauce  link=1142126549/0#5 date=1142154343]I have the 10" DB, but mine sounds best with only about 1¼" of the port open.  It looks wrong, but it sounds right.

You have the voice coils parallel, right?  Just checking.

John C.

[/quote]

Nope, I currently have the coils wired in stereo.  They are 4 ohm coils and I don't think my amp would tolerate a 2 ohm bridged load.  I borrowed a laptop with a tone generator and some simple testing software to try to dial this thing in today.  Now if only this damn rain would stop in PA!  Thanks for the suggestions so far!

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/12/06 at 14:53:42

stereo signal into a dvc sub ??? Roll Eyes ??? Roll Eyes Cry Cry Roll Eyes dirt??

IP Logged
Loudy5
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/12/06 at 15:05:36

I am not sure how I should be wiring it otherwise though.  The amp is a Rockford fosgate p5002 http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=2&series_id=6... and it is not stable at 2 ohms bridged.  I have the internal crossover set at 70hz (ish).  I dont think bringing it up to 8 ohms is the answer either though.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/12/06 at 15:24:43

To my limited knowledge...
it depends on how its crossed over.. if the crossover sums the channel and then splits it back to stereo then there is not  a problem.
supposedly low freg are not stereo and are omnidirectional, but we have all been there before.

What I am saying is if its low enough it should not make a differance. What I believe is that it does make a differance, just how much is the question.
I always sum a sub output and then split the same signel just out of habit in car and home audio.

My concern is with a iso load having seperate coils and cone its not a big deal but considering that the possibility of two coils driving the same cone with a slightly and possible differant signel just is something I would not do.

Just because,, IMHO.

Dirt?

EDIT: missed that last post..

The P5002 is an excellent way to PUNCH up your sound system! Best suited for driving a 2-ohm DVC subwoofer, a pair of 8-ohm SVC subwoofers, or even four 4-ohm SVC subwoofers. A capacitor is recommended.

IP Logged
Loudy5
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/12/06 at 15:28:43

I have run this sub before in this fashion with better results in the sealed enclosure.  The signal is crossed over in stereo but i agree that a slightly different signal through the cone sounds like a bad idea.  Maybe this is the wrong amp for the job, but it is all i have right now with enough gusto.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 03/12/06 at 15:51:48

I know that we may be getting a little sidetracked but I don't think the sub signal is stereo, so your okay.  
not sure but thats what I think anyway.

It is my thought that I would seal everything up first and check everywhere for possible leaks.  Seal it with something you can peel off again. the woofer can bleed past the mount and the screws, the insert sides, the lid on the sealed part, the insert could be mountedbackwards.

try driving each of the coils seperately to get a feel for it.

best of luck.. I thought I knew some of these subs in and out at one time. But now I am just full of guesses

IP Logged
Loudy5
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/12/06 at 16:28:30

Ok, I just spent some time sliding the insert around with my laptop plugged in, feeding sweeps from 25 to 250 through.  It is definatley better with the insert slid all but 2" down over the vent opening.  I didnt bring it down that far before.  As for the signal, I hope you are right gexter.  I don't know how else i would wire it at this point.  Everything is glued and caulked but the insert so far.  Hopefully with that sealed, i will gain a little more.  I don't know what kind of shape my sub is in, but something crazy happens at 20 hz with moderate power! Anyway, thanks for the insight so far.  It is getting better little by little the more i mess with it!

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/12/06 at 17:28:25

If you want to make sure the Voice coils get the same signal, wire the voice coils in series for a total load of 8 ohms. then wire this up bridged on your amp, resulting in 250 rms to the sub, 125 to each coil, just like your original wiring.

Chances are that since the amp is brideable, the inout is summed then amplified resulting in identical output on each chqannel, but if you wire it like above, you get the same power output, and can be sure the sub's coils get the exact same signal.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 03/12/06 at 18:11:41

I don't think the wiring is the problem but the wiring possiblities are there.

But after enough messing around we will see what happens.
I use a sealer called draftstop that is a removeable type of silicon like sealer that comes in a tube..

Once it dries you can remove it at a later date to move the baffle.

I like the baffle in the 10 DB about 1 1/2 from the bottom I just have to throw more power to it.

you have good ideas and help here so don't give up. If all else fails and the box is good its the driver.
( meaning that driver is not suited for the box)

check out the Dayton series II in a 12" specs
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-120
I think that this is the driver that Decware uses in its HT 12 DB

this is not an expensive driver but Decwares pick for marketing and they stand behind there stuff.

Having said that, too bad you can't use a WO

IP Logged
Loudy5
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 03/12/06 at 19:04:08

I will try and tune with what I have for now.  Maybe down the road I will pick up a new driver if this doesnt work out.  I do have that WO laying around I may throw in for the time being.  :-*

Thanks guys!

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 03/13/06 at 12:53:38

i haven't read all of the posts...
but if you've built the insert EXACTLY like the plans, it means that if you set it as low as possible, only about 2" of the port would be unobstructed. i have mine tuned like that, loaded with a cheap 12" and it goes down to about 35hz in-home.
sealing the insert really makes a diffrence.
i was extremely upset after i've built my db-10, during tuning. the box sounded like crap. i sealed it up real good and locked it in place with 4 drywall screws on each side. the sound tightened and it got lower.
what i've noticed with db-10 is that the more rough edges you round, the smoother the box sounds.
i haven't had time or patience to play with the db-12. i like the db-10 a lot more.

IP Logged
trashfire
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 03/13/06 at 14:13:10

Speaking of the insert, I'm looking at building a DB12 of my own here very soon.  I'm baffled (pun..) by the insert in the plans.  For the side view, which way is it facing, left or right?  I've stared at them for 15 minutes and studied the picture at the bottom but can't quite figure out the portion after the cutout behind the woofer.  The half wall of sorts is throwing me off.  Do the sides go all the way down or do you trim them short?  The picture isn't clear enough to zoom in on and get an idea of what I'm supposed to build.

If someone has a picture from their build of the butt end of the insert, I'd be most appreciative.  

Thanks

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/13/06 at 14:16:02

[quote author=trashfire  link=1142126549/15#17 date=1142259190]Speaking of the insert, I'm looking at building a DB12 of my own here very soon.  I'm baffled (pun..) by the insert in the plans.  For the side view, which way is it facing, left or right?  I've stared at them for 15 minutes and studied the picture at the bottom but can't quite figure out the portion after the cutout behind the woofer.  The half wall of sorts is throwing me off.  Do the sides go all the way down or do you trim them short?  The picture isn't clear enough to zoom in on and get an idea of what I'm supposed to build.

If someone has a picture from their build of the butt end of the insert, I'd be most appreciative.  

Thanks [/quote]

they extend all the way down on 3 sides and the fourth side is removed to allow air to flow.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 03/13/06 at 14:59:47

the 3 sides are longer to limit tuning and allow for air flow, as 60 said.
db-12 plans are confusing.

IP Logged
Loudy5
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 03/13/06 at 15:07:18

It definately requires a minute to look and figure out what is going on, but I had no problems putting it together.  I put together a cut sheet and intend to post it if anyone thinks it is relevant.  Just notes right now but I can easily type it up.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 03/13/06 at 15:14:54

i'm not sure you could post those....
i also have a cut list...somewhere... but i would only give it to someone who can provide plans, so that i wouldn't give them away, for free.

IP Logged
Loudy5
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 03/13/06 at 15:16:33

Ah right, good point.  Scratch that.

IP Logged
trashfire
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 03/13/06 at 15:27:32

Definately wouldn't post a cut sheet.  I'd however love to see it.  That'd help me put together things in my head.  What can I do to prove I have a valid # to you?  Email you a screen shot of the plans page?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Loudy5
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 03/13/06 at 15:31:10

Yeah that would probably work.  I won't be much help until this weekend though.  I am working in Baltimore this week and the plans are in my shop in PA.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 03/13/06 at 15:48:41

trashfire, send me pics of the plans (like the cutout detail), mdf thickness you're using and i'll send you a cut list...

IP Logged
trashfire
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 03/13/06 at 17:11:01

On it's way.  Thank you very much.

IP Logged
trashfire
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 03/13/06 at 17:11:31

Ooops, forgot to mention, I'll be using 3/4" MDF.

Thanks again.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 03/13/06 at 19:54:36

???

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print