04/25/24 at 21:25:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
4 db's (Read 17445 times)
4db
Ex Member

4 db's
03/11/06 at 00:46:51

just got my 4 10inch dbs. i have 4 mtx 5510-44 to go with it. just need to mount the subs and tune. it will either be powered by a Old School Lanzar 50C or a ESX Quantum 475.1. not quite sure if the electrical can support the .5 ohm the 50C needs to pump 1200-1400 watts so the ESX is mainly for back up. iam hoping to bust 150dbs with this setup.  wish me luck!  :D

IP Logged
4db
Ex Member

Re: 4 db's
Reply #1 - 03/24/06 at 01:19:50

WOW! finally tuned one DB and its just as loud as my 1 mtx 8510-44 in a custom built mtx spec box, but it plays even lower. very very loud and iam very impressed. no port noise either even though it blows soooo much air out that half moon port.

now i just need to tuned the other 3 and put it in my suzuki swift hatch back. i have an audio control epic 150 so i will test for spl from the dash board soon. not quite accurate but just for kicks. don't know how to post pictures yet so no photos. sorry.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/24/06 at 13:43:27

nice...
as far as port noise, i've got a LOT MORE from a ported box i build for my cheap 12 (it has 2 2 inch ports). my infinity moves much more air than the 12 and the half-moon stays rather quiet. the 12 on the other hand  ::) you can hear port noise from 2-3 feet away.
what's the freq you want to hit the spl at ?
i guess it would be better to tune them identically.
how low is the insert ?
pics : upload them here and then post one of the links to the pic that they provide. one of them is the thumbnail for forums. try them until you pick the right one.

IP Logged
4db
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/01/06 at 01:19:24

thanks for helping me with posting pix.

it sounds best when the port is how you see it. crossed at 125hz +3db,  it plays very low and shakes the front seat in my accord but not quite as loud as my single 8510 but more musical and it doesn't have the "big rubberband" spl sound either like the 8510. the db measures 117 to 120 for the single ten from the dash(music,not burps) while the single 8510 does 132 - 135(music)both amplified by 1 esx 475.1, 750watts @ 2ohm. needs some breakin time.

the three inserts are ready to go in too.  my big lanzar 50c just went in for a checkup so will be back in 5-7 days. ill post some pix of my amps and the 4 db's when all put together.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/01/06 at 02:58:10

[quote author=4db  link=1142041611/0#3 date=1143854364]

thanks for helping me with posting pix.

it sounds best when the port is how you see it. crossed at 125hz +3db,  it plays very low and shakes the front seat in my accord but not quite as loud as my single 8510 but more musical and it doesn't have the "big rubberband" spl sound either like the 8510. the db measures 117 to 120 for the single ten from the dash(music,not burps) while the single 8510 does 132 - 135(music)both amplified by 1 esx 475.1, 750watts @ 2ohm. needs some breakin time.

the three inserts are ready to go in too.  my big lanzar 50c just went in for a checkup so will be back in 5-7 days. ill post some pix of my amps and the 4 db's when all put together. [/quote]

125 is wwwaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy to high for a sub ....x it over at 70hz and turn it up. Grin

IP Logged
biju
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/01/06 at 04:11:07

so many DB's!!!....  Insert drool *here*!

Agreed, xover @ 125 does seem a bit high...

-biju.

IP Logged
4db
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/01/06 at 10:41:46

on paper it sounds high but it blends really nice with my mids which are crossed at 125hz no boost. when crossed at 80hz or 50hz, it loses its musical-ness, if thats a word. there were slight port noises but only when at levels above 110db or more but ive also noticed that when i hooked up my old school MTX MTA high current 250, it did have a thumpyness. it may be that the crossover on the esx(built-in) is much steeper(24db slope) than the crossover on the headunit with the mtx amp combo.  

i will be comparing 3 amp sets for the 4 db's:
1) (mid 90's edition)2 orion 2150sx bridged 4ohm(one amp per pair db's)combined total of 1200watts @ 12 volts

2) (1) (early 90's edition-Zed Audio) Lanzar 50c, .50ohm @ 800watts 12 volts    

3) (1) ESX (Zed Audio) Q 475.1, 2ohm @ 750watts 12volt.

what amp combo do you think will be the loudest? best sound quality?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/01/06 at 17:10:44

looks extremely wierd with the insrt as low as that.
the thing with bandpass boxes, is that, the wider the bandwith, the lower the spl.
i would try to mount the subs with the magnet in the vented part. you would gain lots of volume in the sealed chamber and you can tune it a bit higher.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/01/06 at 18:21:44

yea your port does seem a bit 'pinched' i would try opening it up just a wee bit, maybe double what you have it at in the pic.you might find with the port open more there is less port noise and you will be happier with it xed over closer to 70hz? 125 is way up there, but, as with all things audio, if you like the way it sounds then thats all that matters.

IP Logged
4db
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/01/06 at 21:32:32

i agree. it sounded much better with the insert about an inch and a quarter from the top of the port but that was in my livingroom which is about 20x20 with cathedral ceiling. but in car performance was poor. very hollow and no spl. i adjusted the insert about every 1/2 inch while the sub was in the car and arrived at what you see. wierdly interesting. ill try tuning it once more today.  

i cannot mount the sub in the insert because the magnet is quite large and deep.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/02/06 at 08:15:39

add another mdf panel. maybe that helps with the depth.
i tried mine in-car with the insert at the top of the port (unobstructed) and it got really low. pretty loud also (the garage door was vibrating with only 250w).
it seems very weird that it sounded better in-home than in-car tuned that high. it's necessary to tune it where it will be living it's life.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/02/06 at 15:31:28

[quote author=4db  link=1142041611/0#9 date=1143927152] ill try tuning it once more today.  

[/quote]

this statement ^ sujjests to me that you have not sealed her up yet? dbs performance will not be good at high power unless she is completely sealed.i sujjest opening up the port to about 2 inches, seal her up good and try it xed over at 70 hz.if you use silicone or caulk you can always adjust the port again by cleaning the silicone caulk out.i tried my dbs with port completely unobstructed and squeezed down to about 1.5 inches the more squeezed the port the lower the freqs emphasized but with an unobstructed port the sound was extremely natural , in a car with a trunk with 600 wrms.soundstream exact 10 or a soundsplinter rl-p 12.

seal that box properly before you decide anything!!!!!!!!! Grin Grin

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 04/02/06 at 17:14:05

If you built her tight, you can tune all you want, but when you do decide, seal her up I think would be best.  You don't want to settle on something caulk it in, and then later test another DB to find a different sweet spot.

If your sub doesn't fit with another mdf panel added to the end of the insert, I would leave it as is.

And about the XO point, if it does sound best there, thats where to keep it, these other forum guys aren't going to be listening to your car everyday.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/02/06 at 18:27:07

there is one thing that you can do after you seal it: put 2-4 drywall screws on the sides of the box to lock the insert in place.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 04/02/06 at 23:11:10

[quote author=J_Rock  link=1142041611/0#12 date=1143994445]If you built her tight, you can tune all you want, but when you do decide, seal her up I think would be best.  You don't want to settle on something caulk it in, and then later test another DB to find a different sweet spot.

If your sub doesn't fit with another mdf panel added to the end of the insert, I would leave it as is.

And about the XO point, if it does sound best there, thats where to keep it, these other forum guys aren't going to be listening to your car everyday. [/quote]

the thing is j rock, that if you run some serious power thru a db that is not sealed,  when it tries to move serious air there is serious pressure and that pressure will try to find a way out, this 'trying to find a way out' will (in my opinion) effect the 'actual' performance of the box. gotta seal her up tight to know for sure what shes actually going to do? in my opinion Wink

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 04/03/06 at 02:26:42

without a doubt, but in the testing stages, I believe its much easier to move things around incrementaly until I get a spot I like, then screw er in, drive around for a week and test again.  This way over the week I learn that spot's issues if any exsist.  The I can retest to see if a different spot sounds better.

IP Logged
4db
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 04/03/06 at 09:02:02

yeah, it's not sealed with caulk but its tight that i need a 2 x 2 and a hammer to move the insert up or down. i will seal it temporarly as best i can and this coming week will give me plenty of actual drive time with the box to fine tune.

BTW, thanks for all your helpful tips!  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print