Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 15:14:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tube rolling effect on Taboo signature ? (Read 6938 times)
nodiak
Ex Member

Tube rolling effect on Taboo signature ?
03/02/06 at 00:04:34

I know there are 2 threads that ~ concern this, but neither evolved quite to this point.
I'm like Doorman and enjoy building speakers and am considering the Taboo. I would want to be able to change the signature of the Taboo some for speaker matching.
I'd like to have the transparency it's said to have, but would like to be able to swing it to the aggressive/grunt/muscle side to some degree...or maybe just some warmth or syrup, not too much. You know, sometimes a cinnamin roll instead of a bagel  ;D !  
Have you done this with relatively common, not pricey tubes?
Thanks, Don

IP Logged
Sam in USA
Ex Member

Re: Tube rolling effect on Taboo signature ?
Reply #1 - 03/02/06 at 02:59:12

The russian military SV83 aka 6n15n-EB will give you the tone or warmth (which I am using). The EL84 will give you more forward/aggressive sound. I have tried 60's Mullard as well as current production JJ EL84s. I will try the russian military EL84 aka 6n14n-EB next.

As far as rectifier goes, mullard 5y3GT will give you best tone, 5AR4 the most spank.
The next best to Mullard would be Mazda 5Y3GB, and JJ 5AR4

IP Logged
Sam in USA
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/02/06 at 03:06:32

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/02/06 at 06:02:07

Although I use the 6n15n in my CS and not the Taboo, various reports with the Taboo closely parallel the effect in my CS.

The 6n15n has a great mid range warmth, better than the Svetlana sv83, but the cryoed version adds an added vividness and transparence. The degree of difference with the cryoed version took me by surprise.

Karl

IP Logged
nodiak
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/02/06 at 16:10:33

Thanks very much guys, as always helpful.
I'm in the common stage of trying to decide what I want to listen to without being able to hear it first...(how do we even do this... ??? )
A possible $ competitor to the Taboo I've come across is the Bottlehead Paramour, less power tho.
My only tube amp has been the Zen C . Sam, have you heard the C to give any comparison? It does sounds like the Taboo could be relatively versatile with tube rolling. What about handling 4 ohm loads , have you tried that? Was no problem with the C of course.
Time for me to learn about cryoed tubes.
Don

IP Logged
Sam in USA
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03/02/06 at 17:20:14

I am running Taboo with the RL3s which has 4 ohms impedance.
The Taboo has lower hum because of choke filtration (it's quiet as a mouse).
The Taboo has better bottom end than the C.

IP Logged
brettjm
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/02/06 at 17:42:05

I've been listening to the 6n14n-EB (russian millitary EL84) lately, and since it's replaced my cryo 6n15n-EB (russian millitary SV83) I haven't been able to take it out. Surprisingly despite its differing internal wiring, it has the same tonality and characteristics as the sv83. Except that it is bombastic in the bass, and very nicely extended. It is agressive, and in a good way. The music really comes alive. The midrange doesn't seem to suffer either, but I'll have to see what happens when I put the mil SV83 back in. It just took me back, I had a different perception of how EL84s sound based on the Mullard. Anyways I love this tube, and I'm sure it'll kick ass in the Taboo.

-Brett

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print