Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 04:11:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Quad loading the DB10s? (Read 9836 times)
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Quad loading the DB10s?
02/27/06 at 15:18:06

My friend and I are trying out a couple of DB10s. I was wondering if one could quad load the DB10s? Also if you quad load the DB10s could you use polyfill to help with the quality of sound the DB10s will produce? I am not looking for booming bass just clean,tight, and accurate bass for HT. THANKS for any INFO.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Re: Quad loading the DB10?
Reply #1 - 02/27/06 at 15:20:37

if you can get 4 drivers in a db10 your amazing Grin

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/27/06 at 15:40:09

get 1 (one) good sub. tune it low and forget about ISO-loading or polyfill.
the db10 is far from boomy.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/27/06 at 16:17:26

Yeah, quad loadingis prolly out of the question, but iso for two DBs will allow them to go lower and handle the power better.  I would do it only if you have enough power and subs laying around.  You gain increased power handling, lower distortion, and better linearity, yet you loose 3db(twice the load, same surface area).  The subs should also go lower by increaseing the apparent size of the sealed chamber when the vas is halfed due to iso loading.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/27/06 at 17:14:19

My bad JRock I meant ISO loading but I was thinking plural since I have two DB10 and it would take four(QUAD) woofers to load both. If I went with one good woofer(DAYTON SERIES II) what kind of power do you think it would take to push it? I have some shielded 10" woofers laying around and was thinking of ISO loading with polyfill for quality bass use only. I know your right AdrianD but experimenting is half the fun. Just testing as usually and wanted a few pointers or someone else opinion on the DB10.  Thanks for the reply.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/27/06 at 21:33:24

[quote author=HT-EXT  link=1141057086/0#4 date=1141060459]My bad JRock I meant ISO loading but I was thinking plural since I have two DB10 and it would take four(QUAD) woofers to load both. If I went with one good woofer(DAYTON SERIES II) what kind of power do you think it would take to push it? I have some shielded 10" woofers laying around and was thinking of ISO loading with polyfill for quality bass use only. I know your right AdrianD but experimenting is half the fun. Just testing as usually and wanted a few pointers or someone else opinion on the DB10.  Thanks for the reply. [/quote]

because the db controlls the air in front of the driver as well as behind, power handling goes up. i have had a 300wrms soundstream exact 10" in a db with 600+wrms, it didnt hurt it at all and sounded absolutely killer.my guess is you can double the power handling of any sub in a db?

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/28/06 at 01:11:29

It would really be anyone's guess as to how much more power you can push, but I defineatly wouldn't feel worried if I had the magnet side of the woofer in the ported side of the baffle.  The whole point of the Deathbox's creation was an experiment in increasing driver power handling based on the fact that most woofers die due to Thermal reasons.  (i.e. Things melt more than explode)

The air movement around and through the magnet when in the ported side will be sufficiently higher than your common alignments, allowing an increas in power handling.

Over all though, for tight clean bass I would take 1 good sub over 2 crappy subs.  What cheapo subs do you have? Model numbers would give a much better insight as to crappy or good or whatever.

As for the Dayton Series 2, I would push a single 4 ohm version with around 250 to 300 watts rms, no more than 425 peak though.  

P.S. the Dayton series two 10 incher is what I believe Steve remeasures and sells on his site for 70 a piece.  He may do some moding himself to each sub, but even stock they have extremely good specs.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/28/06 at 12:42:49

I have four sets of 10" woofers shielded and non shielded.
The specs. are 8 ohm dvc(8 each coil) 80w/150w
Fs=29Hz/Qts.=.49./Vas=4.5cu.ft. Not a bad speaker for $20 but still not a Dayton. The shielded speakers are Audiosource
4 ohm voice coil Fs=40Hz/power=100w/200w? and $10 each. Just some cheapos that don't work too bad but Daytons would be my first choice for any of Steve's designs.
                                               Thanks for the help JRock.    

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/28/06 at 13:44:07

use the one with the lowest fs. i used a 20$ ten. it was 80w rms and in was pushing about 150 to it. it's still kickin.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/28/06 at 16:38:07

I would feel comfortable with the lower FS Pair Iso loaded getting about 100 wrms a piece.  The other pair iso loaded prolly around 120-130.

So you have these 2 pairs, and a pair of the daytons?

Or were you looking at purchasing the daytons?

Before spending money I would definetly try the subs you have in different combos, especially if you have 2 db to swap in and out.  I would try 2 dbs loaded with one sub of the same type each, then one db with a pair iso loaded.  That way you can compare the 2 pairs against each other.

Chances are the subs you have will sound fine, and you won't want to even spend more money.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/03/06 at 17:40:36

No I do not have the Daytons yet but my credit card is begging to be max-out. The other speakers are just laying around collecting dust so why not experiment. It is just a matter of time before I run out of any room for any more speaker cabinets. THANKS the HELP.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print