Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 08:41:57 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
To say the least, the anticipation is building ... (Read 20709 times)
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Re: To say the least, the anticipation is building
Reply #50 - 03/15/06 at 02:21:26

[quote author=gexter  link=1139429263/45#49 date=1142387069]I think that the way you plan on running it off the Zen would be great. providing you have the Imps in the right location..
Your room no doubt is already taken care of.

thats not much but its all I got and no doubt already taken care of.
I wish I was you!  :) [/quote]

Howdy Gex,

I'm thinking the same ..... the parallel setup directly from the Zen Select produced top shelf sound in Peoria.  If I get anywhere near the same effect in my room, I will be a happy camper ..... Smiley

My room is 26' x 16' ..... which is one of the many "magic formulas" for room dimensions.  It would be even better if I had 10' ceilings, but the sound is already very good with the 8' height.  I have some room treatment in place and will be experimenting with more when the Imperials arrive.

As far as wishing you were me ..... be careful what you wish for.  It might be safer to just wish you would own a pair of SO Imperials in the near future ..... ???

Take care,

Randy

IP Logged
Brian
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 03/15/06 at 03:38:06

[quote author=Caintuck Randy  link=1139429263/45#47 date=1142348279]Running the Imperials directly from the speaker taps of the Select should preserve any and all low level spatial information in a true stereo configuration.  Of course, the received wisdom indicates that this is not an issue with low frequencies ..... but, I'm not totally convinced of that ..... ???

It will be easy enough to try both ways, but I would be curious about the thoughts of the forum readers on this topic [/quote]
Hi Randy,
I would like to read your results if you try this both ways.  I have often been curious about that question of the importance of stereo bass.  Also the difference in sonic quality between solid state and tubes down in the lowest registers.  
Great experiment.  I wish you well.
Brian

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 03/15/06 at 04:25:01

Thanks for the info Randy. Sounds interesting. I have 2WO32's, but I am not completly happy with them. I have heard a lot of subs go lower, athought they are fast. I dont know if I will go with IB bass, or try something like the SO.

Mr C

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #53 - 03/20/06 at 11:01:19

I've been waiting for this day.  Our friend Randy should be updating this thread.  If we are lucky he might even post some pictures of his project.

Randy is my hero on this forum!

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #54 - 03/20/06 at 11:12:36

[quote author=paulc  link=1139429263/45#53 date=1142852479]
Randy is my hero on this forum! [/quote]

Randy, we know thats you under a different name Roll Eyes

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 03/20/06 at 13:57:43

Hey Rap,

You are correct about me being someone with a different name but I'm not Randy.  I do feel that your comment would be a compliment to me.

Having read nearly every post Randy has made on this forum and met him twice at Steve's, I have the utmost respect for him and his outlook on life and this hobby.

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #56 - 03/20/06 at 14:54:00

[quote author=paulc  link=1139429263/45#55 date=1142863063] I have the utmost respect for him and his outlook on life and this hobby. [/quote]
Me to Grin
If you have read all of Randys post then you know I like to tease him every now and then Smiley

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 03/20/06 at 17:55:32

Speaking of teasing ..... ???

My buddy Mike provided a few photos of the work in progress ..... I'm not sure how quickly they will load on everyone's internet connection, so I will split them up.

One down ..... three to go ..... Smiley

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #58 - 03/20/06 at 18:00:01

A nice coffin Grin Did youre friend get ahead of the plans and put batons in the top and bottom first? seem to be some filled in screw holes ???

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #59 - 03/20/06 at 18:08:32

[quote author=Rap  link=1139429263/45#58 date=1142877601]A nice coffin Grin Did youre friend get ahead of the plans and put batons in the top and bottom first? seem to be some filled in screw holes ??? [/quote]

Howdy Rap,

Those holes are for a special type of fastener that he is using ..... strong beyond belief ..... Smiley

Randy

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #60 - 03/20/06 at 18:15:35

Two of four .....

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #61 - 03/20/06 at 18:29:03

Three of four .....

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #62 - 03/20/06 at 18:47:27

Four of four .....

More to come as I get them.

The waiting is torture ..... Undecided

Randy

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #63 - 03/20/06 at 18:54:15

paulc - some of us get stuck between the teeth in times if you don't know its all in fun.
Rap is out of the bunch that make me laugh, now that Match had taken a holiday he has to work twice as hard Smiley

Randy- very nice.. the wood shop!!
The Imps are no slouch either.

thanks for the pics. it reminds me how much work and how massive they are..

still nice no matter how you look at it..

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #64 - 03/20/06 at 19:14:15

Hell, those aren't big!

Where's the "DROOL" smiley?

Randy,

Please, don't paint that beautiful woodwork. You're going to have to give us a crash course in what your buddy, Mike, did with the corners. The shop looks great, but I notice the broom and vac are both passed out on the floor. Smiley

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #65 - 03/20/06 at 19:21:01

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #66 - 03/20/06 at 19:36:05

[quote author=DirtDawg  link=1139429263/60#64 date=1142882055]Hell, those aren't big!

Where's the "DROOL" smiley? [/quote]

Hell, those ARE big!!!

But so beautiful  :)  Don't make me look for a drool smilely.. LOL..

Hey Corey!! - You following this thread? Did you ever build some to  help those HDT's   Grin

Dank- did you ever get things worked out?

I am in the process of reworking my tiny workshop so I can build a new kitchen piece by little piece.
Never know what else may end up being assembled with the "ahem"  (extra birch ply). However it will not be a Imp just yet.
I put some major power into my Cardboard Imp and some of the glued seams cracked. It does not sound good run ragged with techno. sound great with stuff like bluegrass and the likes of Buddy Green. He likes to add a little bass to his gospel Cheesy..

Still love the IMP, even a hack!

IP Logged
dank
Ex Member

Reply #67 - 03/20/06 at 20:57:50

Gexter and all

My Imp SO is still pretty sick.  I've been sidetracked on a new speaker project for the past 6 months or so, and it led into a second new speaker project, so I've been just waiting and watching.  I've gone over everything I can think of and I'm pretty sure everything is at least close - which means it should be working good, but its not.  Steve's comment about how his SO's performance gets worse when the front k-slot is boarded up while mine gets MUCH better is a BIG clue, but I haven't been able to figure out just what it means - yet.  I'm sure interested to see how Randy's SO's will perform...and every picture posted will help as I might see something that I did differently/wrong.

DanK

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #68 - 03/20/06 at 23:25:02

Hey Gex,

I sure do not have any problem with anything Rap has ever said.  You and Rap are two of my favorite posters on this forum.

I was only trying to get Randy to give us a update on his project.  He sure came through didn't he?

It has been said that "envy is an ugly thing" but I sure  have the wants for a pair of SO's.

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #69 - 03/20/06 at 23:32:20

[quote author=Caintuck Randy  link=1139429263/45#59 date=1142878112]

strong beyond belief ..... Smiley

Randy [/quote]

Oh you mean nails..or is that a dad reference Smiley Wink nice going and thanks for the blow by blow pictures

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #70 - 03/20/06 at 23:37:26

Heck, I would give a small appendage for just one SO.

IP Logged
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Reply #71 - 03/21/06 at 01:31:45

Hey guys,  I'm not sure if i missed out on something here, if those are going to be regular imperials or SO's but shouldnt the top and the bottom both be two layers of wood  ???(or mdf if thats what your using) ?  it didnt seem like that from the photos. Maybe im just not seeing it all,  i should probably turn the volume down on my imperial some time, Cry i think it may be starting to cause some damage Kiss.

Oh, and with break in with imperials, is it alright to have them play at a reasonably loud volume all day (say about 6 or 7 horus while im at school) to give them a good break in?

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #72 - 03/21/06 at 01:48:06

Maybe you should ask your neighbors. Cheesy

IP Logged
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Reply #73 - 03/21/06 at 02:10:18

ha.... Angry.  

haha, i love the support though, thankss

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #74 - 03/21/06 at 02:17:03

[quote author=Rap  link=1139429263/60#69 date=1142897540]

Oh you mean nails..or is that a dad reference Smiley Wink nice going and thanks for the blow by blow pictures

[/quote]

Howdy Rap,

Actually, the reference was to a Kreg jig joint which might even be stronger than Dad ..... ???

Mike showed me how these things work when I was at his shop.  He took a couple of scraps of wood, drilled a couple of holes using this jig and shot a couple of the special screws into the wood that looked for all intents and purposes like a butt joint.  He then invited me to pull them apart.  Ten minutes later, after tugging and pulling and jumping up and down on the joint, I threw in the towel ..... Cry

Neat tool ..... Smiley

Randy

IP Logged
gnat leader
Ex Member

Reply #75 - 03/21/06 at 02:30:17

I bought the Kregg jig a while back and really love it. Wish I had more time to fiddle with woodworking and speaker building.

-Brad-

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #76 - 03/21/06 at 02:39:30

[quote author=BIG_GEOFF  link=1139429263/60#71 date=1142904705]Hey guys,  I'm not sure if i missed out on something here, if those are going to be regular imperials or SO's but shouldnt the top and the bottom both be two layers of wood  ???(or mdf if thats what your using) ?  it didnt seem like that from the photos. Maybe im just not seeing it all ..... [/quote]

Hey BIG_GEOFF,

First ..... you have a great name .....
My son's name is Geoff, and he's pretty big as well ..... about 270 lb on a good day ..... Smiley

I looked at the photos of the SO Imperials that Zygi built for change_out ..... and the top and bottom seem to be a single 3/4" thickness, with some reinforcement around the edges ..... ???

Of course, with speakers of this sort, extra thickness probably doesn't hurt.

Take care,

Randy

IP Logged
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Reply #77 - 03/21/06 at 02:55:27

Quote:
First ..... you have a great name .....  
My son's name is Geoff, and he's pretty big as well ..... about 270 lb on a good day .....  

Ha, well thanks Randy. Its funny you say that, most people hate the way my name is spelled.  I get a lot of Geee-offs alot.  But i cant say im 270, I wrestled 152 Lbs this season but im lookin to bulk up a bit (probably not to 270)

But back to speakers...  The back of my imperial tends to vibrate a lil much when there is stronger bass playing in a song.  I have the braces called for in the plans but it seems a little on the weak side.  Will extra bracing, perhaps on the back of it, not in the throat, possibly reduce these vibrations and maybe even improve some sound quality?

(heres the braces called for in the plans)

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #78 - 03/21/06 at 03:02:11

[quote author=DirtDawg  link=1139429263/60#64 date=1142882055]
Randy,

Please, don't paint that beautiful woodwork. You're going to have to give us a crash course in what your buddy, Mike, did with the corners. The shop looks great, but I notice the broom and vac are both passed out on the floor. Smiley [/quote]

Howdy DD,

Not to worry ..... Mike will be putting a beautiful light stain and satin poly on them that will closely match the floor in my listening room ..... Smiley

You might have noticed on the last photo that he bonded pieces of solid oak to the side panels to allow a more finished look.  Mike has made some gorgeous furniture, which made the decision to have him build them pretty easy.  I am a total "wood butcher" ..... Roll Eyes

Take care,

Randy

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #79 - 03/21/06 at 03:12:27

[quote author=BIG_GEOFF  link=1139429263/75#77 date=1142909727]

Ha, well thanks Randy. Its funny you say that, most people hate the way my name is spelled.  I get a lot of Geee-offs ..... [/quote]

Well ..... some folks just have no class ..... Smiley

When I was 14 years old, I promised myself that if I ever had a son I would name him Geoffrey ..... he's 26 years old and we are great buds.  We watch sports together, drink Guinness together, play guitar together ..... and (best of all) he attends the DecFest with me every year .....

As you get older and the folks around you grow up mentally, you will appreciate your name more ..... ???

Best wishes,

Randy

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #80 - 03/21/06 at 03:24:20

[quote author=paulc  link=1139429263/60#68 date=1142897102]Hey Gex,

I sure do not have any problem with anything Rap has ever said.  You and Rap are two of my favorite posters on this forum.

I was only trying to get Randy to give us a update on his project.  He sure came through didn't he?

It has been said that "envy is an ugly thing" but I sure  have the wants for a pair of SO's. [/quote]

Jeez I must have my shorts on too tight lately..  
I think I need to do some chillin myself.   Have great day and thanks for compliment.

If I rate as high as Rap then I am in good company. I know its not my knowledge but my complete lack of humour that entertains and absorbs people like a bounty picker upper.
Grin

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #81 - 03/22/06 at 14:44:28

[quote author=BIG_GEOFF  link=1139429263/75#77 date=1142909727]

But back to speakers...  The back of my imperial tends to vibrate a lil much when there is stronger bass playing in a song.  I have the braces called for in the plans but it seems a little on the weak side.  Will extra bracing, perhaps on the back of it, not in the throat, possibly reduce these vibrations and maybe even improve some sound quality?

(heres the braces called for in the plans)
[/quote]

Two things:  

A) the braces you have on the back panel are 1.5" wide, and they should have been 2.25" wide (3 boards thick).

B) I forgot to put a VERY important brace on the plans.  The braces on the back panel should be locked into the speaker chamber with another brace(s) to prevent the back from moving in and out.

Also, your horn would work better if you added the 45 degree cleat at the bottom where the horn bends.  Make sure you have one in the front also.

WWW   IP Logged
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Reply #82 - 03/23/06 at 01:19:20

Thanks for pointing the cleat missing to me Steve.  I can remember when i was building it i had forgot to put it in by the time i had it all assembled.  I might actually have that peice of mdf still cut in the scrap pile ???.  I do have the other cleat in the front of the horn.  I geuss ill pay a little more attention to small details in the plans next time Undecided.  Also, should those braces that connect the rear chamber to the speaker chamber be 3 boards thick as well, placed over top the other braces?  And just to throw around, what about doubling up on the thickness of the rear panel with the braces still installed?

-Geoff

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #83 - 03/24/06 at 14:16:36

I will be visiting Mike tomorrow (Saturday) to do some more "supervising" on the Imperial project ..... Roll Eyes

The plan is to take a few more photos for show and tell ..... Smiley

Randy

IP Logged
paulc
Ex Member

Reply #84 - 03/24/06 at 14:52:07

And I didn't even have to stir the pot this time.

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #85 - 03/24/06 at 15:04:05

Smiley   Smiley   Smiley

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #86 - 03/24/06 at 15:21:00

Randy you´re still at work! No daydreaming about Imperials Smiley

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #87 - 03/24/06 at 19:36:57

Sorry ..... it's a sickness ..... but, a good one ..... Smiley

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #88 - 03/26/06 at 11:38:37

Any more Randy........... Smiley

Mr C

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #89 - 03/27/06 at 03:36:37

Howdy Mr C,

Mike and I worked on the Imperials for about five hours on Saturday.  He is so meticulous about everything he does that the going is a bit slow for my tastes ..... I guess it's a good thing he is the "artiste" and I am just the customer ..... ???

He said he would be working on them some more on Sunday (today).  He is supposed to take a few more photos and bring them to work on Monday.  If that happens, I will be sure to post them ..... Smiley

I would have taken my digital camera, but it is pretty sorry compared to the one Mike owns ..... Roll Eyes

Take care,

Randy

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #90 - 03/27/06 at 04:10:20

I bet you are like a little kid thats taking a car ride that seems to take forever.....

How many times have you said " are we there yet?" Smiley

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #91 - 03/27/06 at 04:24:29

Howdy Gex,

Quite a few times, I'm afraid ..... Roll Eyes

I will probably have to apply the cattle prod to Mikey a bit more vigorously, since he can only work on the weekends and a little during weekday evenings because of other responsibilities.  Unfortunately, he is seriously into camping ..... and the weather is warming up quickly in this part of the country.

If they aren't finished soon, I'm in a heap of trouble ..... ???

Randy

IP Logged
Mr Content
Ex Member

Reply #92 - 03/27/06 at 08:32:11

Heres what you do.
7:00am Start work on them
12:00am Lunch
4:00pm tea break
7:00pm Evening meal
9:00pm Stop work.

Job finished Grin  ;D  :D
Enjoy.

Need anymore help Randy.  :D  :D

Mr C

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #93 - 03/27/06 at 14:36:23

Howdy Mr C,

I showed Mike your schedule and he reminded me that slavery has been abolished in this country .....

Oh well ..... here are a few more photos .....

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #94 - 03/27/06 at 14:37:29

Two of six .....

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #95 - 03/27/06 at 14:38:13

Three of six .....

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #96 - 03/27/06 at 14:38:51

Four of six .....

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #97 - 03/27/06 at 14:39:32

Five of six .....

IP Logged
Caintuck Randy
Ex Member

Reply #98 - 03/27/06 at 14:40:31

Six of six .....

More as they become available ..... Smiley

Randy

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #99 - 03/27/06 at 16:38:56

that is a very nice way of shaping the bracing though.  it just flows into the (whatever the slanted thing is called).

At least you have someone doing them who looks to have a very good attention to detail.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print