Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 13:04:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
EQ vs. Crossover for WO36 (Read 5761 times)
HT-EXT
Ex Member

EQ vs. Crossover for WO36
01/25/06 at 11:17:29

My friend and I have been looking at crossovers and EQs. My question is why would you need a crossover (for home theater) when you can set the LFE crossover on the receiver? If you used a stereo amp bridged to run the WO36 the LFE crossover should work fine, correct? Now if you had to use a stereo source to run the amp I see where a crossover would come in handy for the WO36. Why not just buy an EQ with sub out and have the best of both worlds even if you use LFE for your source? I am not sure which is better but the EQ would help with room adjustments(acoustics). The crossover is just going to help with bass roll-off (24db/12db octave) and setting the frequency(Hz) where it starts to roll-off.  Thanks for any info.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Re: EQ vs. Crossover for WO36
Reply #1 - 01/25/06 at 12:09:48

I can't let you get away with saying one versus the other. They do serve two different purposes, which you know, but Milk vs Cookies? They are different, each has its own benefit, but try them together! Milk goes great with cookies.

If your LFE output has a variable roll off, that could help your WO sound better. Generally, the LFE only has output below 90Hz, (at least, that's the THX standard.) but if you have all your Low Frequency content mixed to the LFE out, you could have an extra octave entering the WO. That might sound rather thumpy.

When I tried the WO with my HT system, I used a crossover to roll off the range from 40Hz to about 90Hz. An EQ would have worked the same, except I needed a sharper drop in response above 40Hz in my room. My main speakers are full range and quite capable of reproducing low frequencies to adequate levels. I don't like to mix the LFE to the mains, however, because it's too much for them. I keep the mains on full range and the LFE goes just to the subwoofer, below 90Hz.

If you need to tailor the tones entering the room from the sub an EQ could help. If your mains are set to "small" for instance instead of full range, there will be some midbass content (removed from the main Front Left and Right channels) entering the sub output mixed with the LFE channel and an EQ would help to tame the midbass response of the WO. I use both on my sub system, because I actually have the LFE channel bi-amped. 2 - 15s start around 90Hz and go down to 28Hz and I use a crossover to go to a 4 - 15 cabinet to fill in below 28Hz. The EQ only boosts up the 22HZ and 25Hz (lowest 2 sliders).

I can only get to about 15Hz with real authority, even though there is substantial content below that on some movies, not many, but if it's there I want to feel it. So I have one cabinet that is as large as the rest of the system put together, with as much power on it as the rest combined, all for one inaudible octave below our hearing ability. It sounds crazy, but I wouldn't want to go without it anymore, because it adds so much excitement to any LFE event.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/25/06 at 12:38:52

To keep the WO sounding good you need to keep the info above 80Hz or 90Hz out of it. A crossover does that better than an EQ can.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/25/06 at 13:17:33

My LFE crossover is set at 100Hz and the plate amp is set between 70Hz and 80Hz for the WO. The reason I used VS. is because the thought of one being better than the other brings out multiply opinions. The more knobs I can adjust the more I screw things up. Would you consider using both EQ & X-OVER to run everything(HWK15/WO36/RCA 12" powered sub)? I did notice when the receiver X-over is set to 150Hz or 200Hz(plate amp at 160Hz) the WO sounds boomy. Just to let you know all front speakers are set to large at least that is the way the microphone set it up(PIONEER). THANKS for the info DIRTDAWG.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/25/06 at 14:49:24

[quote author=HT-EXT  link=1138191449/0#3 date=1138195053]..... The more knobs I can adjust the more I screw things up. Would you consider using both EQ & X-OVER to run everything(HWK15/WO36/RCA 12" powered sub)? ..... [/quote]
To put all that together you will need more than a few knobs if you want it to sound clean. I see the possibility of phase issues causing many peaks and dips in the sound. Most say you can't hear them in the LF range and I might agree that many can't, at least until they learn to recognize what they are hearing. Can you physically separate the HW from the WO? I would probably choose one and not try to use both, but keeping them apart can be a good idea. If the 12" is powerful it might be a helpful to chase away some standing waves (phasing and placement might be critical) if placed in the right areas, but again your room will be the final deciding factor.

Try different combinations of placement, phasing, and power levels/crossovers freqs before you give up and leave it all alone. Some well placed bass traps can have a great effect on room problems, too.

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/25/06 at 15:07:43

I notice you like to feel the LFE or for that matter feel the boom in the music. I use Auras and Buttkicker LFE to shake the entire couch, if needed, which helps me cut down on SPL. Once I started with tactical transducers it has turned into a major avalanche. I can not do without them now and the neighbors love the lower SPL. When everything works in conjunction with one another it is undescribable. My friend put it best "HOME THEATER EXTREME". Keep the info coming.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print