Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 16:56:18 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What kind of Woofers for the HWK (Read 439 times)
BB
Ex Member

What kind of Woofers for the HWK
01/08/06 at 16:39:44

Hallo!

I build a few Years ago a modified 12" HWK with half Broken Woofers. It work just perfekt with only 2x 50W and goes down to 35 Hz wery loud  :)

Now i want to Upgrade the Loudspeaker and here is the question: should i buy some hard or soft 12" Woofers?

I use it wery often to watch Movies, and I wish to hawe a deeper response.

Thanx!

Greetings from Slovenija, BB

P.S.: Sorry for my poor English  ::)

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: What kind of Woofers for the HWK
Reply #1 - 01/08/06 at 17:19:42

how is it modified ?
what do you mean by "hard or soft"  ?
i would say buy something with a low fs. do you have Sal speakers (hungarian made)?

IP Logged
BB
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/08/06 at 18:15:42

Hay!

I'l try to eksplain..

With hard Woffer I mean that the Voice coil is mounted Hard, these are usual Speakers for Bands (EV, Emminence...).

Soft have usualy "Extra-Wide Polyester Surround" (like usualy Hifonics). These speakers have bigger voice coil movements (Xmax), deper fs and bigger Vas...

I build the HWK with modified dimension and unfortinently diferent size of chambers. How I learnd from reading this Forum, I didnt done too big mistake - i build the middle chamber bigger.

Greetings, BB

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/08/06 at 19:44:43

If you explore the forum, you will find that both have been used with good results. I remember something about not needing a large Xmax driver, but I have a couple of 8" with a lot of movement in a baby HWK and they have no problems. The idea behind this type of cabinet is that it is very forgiving of which driver you use.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/09/06 at 13:58:57

i'd say use drivers with a good xmax (around 10mm). i'm using an infinity ref1040w(11,5mm xmax) in a db10. the port seems small, but i don't get any port noise, even if i push it hard

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print