Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 16:29:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rectifiers in Taboo and csp (Read 705 times)
cyclops
Ex Member

Rectifiers in Taboo and csp
01/02/06 at 13:20:36

Im getting ready to receive a taboo and csp and was looking at the owners manual of both. It is stated that the circuit starts with a 5y3 and you can substitute a 5u4 and 5ar4. As far as I can tell a 5ar4 is 45 volts higher than 5y3 and one of the highest voltage rectifiers. My question is, can you run everything in between the 5y3 and 5ar4. I have some 5v4 and 5r4 tubes that I wouldn't mind trying so I just want to make sure. Also where does the 274b fit in? Thanks for any info

IP Logged
SaminUSA
Ex Member

Re: Rectifiers in Taboo and csp
Reply #1 - 01/02/06 at 16:50:11

My favorite tubes in Taboo
1. Mullard 5Y3GT (hard to find)
2. Mullard GZ32 (easy to find but expensive)
3. Mazda 5Y3GB ( http://www.tubeman.com)

IP Logged
teepeeworks
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/02/06 at 17:20:11

Read this for CSP rectifier rolling options then just get the best Mullard for that number.

Take care,

Corey

https://www.decware.com/paper56.htm

Deckert Writes:

The voltages driving each stage in the new design have been reduced from around 300 volts to 80 and 90 volts, and the current increased by the same ratio.

And finally because of the 62 % drop in supply voltage changing rectifier tubes will make about 32% more difference on the signature of preamp.  Specifically, the 5Y3GT has the largest voltage drop (around 30 volts more then a 5U4 in this circuit) on the B+ supplies for each stage. A 5AR4 has less of drop and consequently when compared to a 5Y3GT increases the B+ supply voltage.  A 5U4 has the least voltage drop so it raises the B+ supply voltage even more.  A 30 volt increase of a supply voltage that was only 90 volts to begin with is large change.  As the voltage changes on this circuit the signature changes from very euphoric and smooth to having more force and weight.  Think of the 5Y3GT giving you the most type B signature possible and a 5U4 tilting the scale to somewhere between a type B and type A, similar to the original circuits signature.   This should make tube rolling with different rectifiers EXTREMELY rewarding.  Of course, as before, the CSP is not hard on tubes, does not create much heat and can still be left on 24 hours a day 365 days a year with no worries.

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/02/06 at 21:00:39

Actually, I'd say to try cheaper rectifiers of reasonable quality at first in the CSP before blowing major bucks on NOS tubes, so you know which flavor of rectifier your ears prefer (in the Taboo, I can't say, so this refers to the CSP). The Sovtek 5y3 that comes with the CSP is a good reference, and your ears have to become acclimated to the new equipment. Not only does the gear burn in and settle down, but so do your ears as they get used to different sounding stuff.

For example, it so happens my most fav rectifier in my SE84CS is a Mullard GZ32. I have two, so whoa, let's try it in the CSP. Well, for my ears the Mullard GZ32 (and also a 5V4 and various 5U4's) sound awful in my CSP. It certainly depends on one's particular system, so ymmv.

The 5R4's are worth trying in the CSP, but in my system, things run together a bit much (not enough separation between instruments and the image is not as good). So, the 5R4's are out for me.

I've also tried a good quality 5AR4 pulled from a little used ST-70. I believe it's a Sylvania that would be relatively pricey if you bought one NOS. I like it better than the 5R4, but still prefer the 5y3 family.

Right now, I'm using a Bendix Red Bank 6106 (military 5y3) which is extremely nice, but still second to a Mullard 5y3 I had that died. The Mullard is so far the best 5y3 in my rig. Neither too yin nor too yang, and very liquid/grainless sounding.

You could spend $60+ on a Mullard GZ32, but still possibly not like it. Beware of putting out huge bucks on Mullard rectifiers until you're pretty sure. You can use what is said by others as a point of departure, but then you have to experiment with your own ears.

Karl

IP Logged
teepeeworks
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/02/06 at 23:40:38

Karl,

In my new amp it uses dual 5U4 rectifiers so perhaps I could switch up channel brands, like a more live sound in the right channel which has curtains beside it, and the left channel has diffusor's. Would this work having a smoother rectifier on the left channel beside the diffusors?(P1312)

Take care,

Corey

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/03/06 at 10:57:54

Wow!  That might work for YOU.  It would probably drive me nuts. I try so hard to have a strong central image in mono and I can't imagine that happening in that setup.  (I listen to a LOT of mono recordings).  You could probably get most of the way to where you want with speaker positioning.

IP Logged
chrisby
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/03/06 at 15:43:18

[quote author=Lon  link=1136211636/0#5 date=1136285874]Wow!  That might work for YOU.  It would probably drive me nuts. I try so hard to have a strong central image in mono and I can't imagine that happening in that setup.  (I listen to a LOT of mono recordings).  You could probably get most of the way to where you want with speaker positioning. [/quote]

dancing to a different drummer our friend is

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/03/06 at 19:11:56

[quote author=Lon  link=1136211636/0#5 date=1136285874]Wow!  That might work for YOU.  It would probably drive me nuts. I try so hard to have a strong central image in mono and I can't imagine that happening in that setup.  (I listen to a LOT of mono recordings).  You could probably get most of the way to where you want with speaker positioning. [/quote]

Lon,

Many of my favorite recordings are mono's, also. If the system doesn't work well in mono, it usually wouldn't be much better in stereo...

Karl

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print