Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 12:57:25 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
trying zen triode:wow! (Read 11367 times)
dla405j
Ex Member

trying zen triode:wow!
12/02/05 at 21:49:50

I bought a used se84cs on Audiogon & hooked it up today...my first experience with set amps.  I matched it with Omega ts2 speakers and then tried B&W DM 302s.  I connected my cdp, pioneer pd65, directly, no preamp, and was amazed at the sound!!  really powerful and sweet!!..It's in my living room even though I thought I would use it in a small bedroom because of its lack of power.  Makes my Norh se 9 sound unrefined...  My cd's sound so clear and smooth..almost vinyl-like, seems to take harshness out of digital sound.  I was expecting to be somewhat disappointed..I've been lurking on this site for months and thought setsound couldn't be so good...thought it may be more audio hype & smoke & mirrors but I'm really impressed.  What also really amazes me is that the b&w speakers which I bought used for $150 sounds so good...I thought I was going to have to pay big bucks for a decent speaker match...the Omegas were a resonable $300 used...I'm now a Decware convert.  Nothing fancy here.. cheap DH labs  ic's and nondescript speaker cables.  I have another zen triode coming any day..an unmodified C, (used) I thought I would have to hook them up mono to get more power...WRONG.  I've got enough bang here to keep me happy.  My bass is so smooth and natural...love what I'm hearing..and dead silent..no humm,  As you can tell I'm impressed!!

IP Logged
Corey
Ex Member

Re: trying zen triode:wow!
Reply #1 - 12/02/05 at 23:21:40

It must be quite an experience to hear a Zen that is fully broken in as your first audition of one.
The first time I heard my Integrated it was brand new and took quite a while.

Good stuff guy and it would probably make quite an improvement if you upgraded your IC's.

Corey

IP Logged
Lon
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/02/05 at 23:22:51

Congratulations!  You've started on a new journey!  And you have lots of listening ahead.

Welcome to posting and keep at it!

IP Logged
proud_indian
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/03/05 at 01:06:57

Welcome. When I got mine, I had never heard a tube amp Grin and since it was new and not broken in, it sounded like crap Angry I thought I had made a mistake and the thought even crossed my mind of returning it, even at a loss of shipping cost.( Iam located in India)
Then things just happened, and I heard a soundstage that I never did before. Today the amp still amazes me.

shreekant Smiley

IP Logged
yosemite_sam
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/03/05 at 04:32:11

[quote author=dla405j  link=1133563790/0#0 date=1133560190]  I have another zen triode coming any day..an unmodified C, (used) [/quote]

What do you plan to do with the 2nd amp? Will you use it?

IP Logged
dla405j
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/03/05 at 07:04:59

I'll see how it compares with the select...I have two separate bedroom systems with Norh se 9's, integrated tube amps.  That got me started with the possibilities of low power tube amps (they have 9 watts).  I think I'll sell the Norh's on Audiogon ...anybody interested???...send me an e-mail, they're nice-looking, easy to use but I llike that set sound. My next experiment with these Zen amps is to try them with tube preamps and phono.  I have 3 different possibilities including a Van Alstine Pas, space-tech, and a Lazarus Basic..If I heard how sweet cd's are with this set-up I 'm hoping a vinyl hook-up will be good too.

IP Logged
rayd
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/03/05 at 08:31:13

Welcome dla405j,

The Select was my first - and currenty - only audio tube amp. After break-in, yes - it is one sweet machine  :)

Wishing you many hours of listening enjoyment.

- Ray

IP Logged
Mike W
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/03/05 at 11:28:17

[quote author=yosemite_sam  link=1133563790/0#4 date=1133584331]

What do you plan to do with the 2nd amp? Will you use it? [/quote]
Are you interested in a Zen C? If so PM me.

IP Logged
veryoldcat
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/03/05 at 17:19:15

I was so impressed with my Select, I completely knocked apart my old system and relegated it to shelves in the garage. My previous system was quite good. Very good sounding recapped vintage pp tube amps driving Dynaudio speakers which had made me happy for a long time.

It's just that the Select and high efficiency speakers absolutely mopped up the floor with my previous stuff, and made me into a Decware bird dog, you might say. No one pushed me into any of it.

As you had planned, the CS was going to be for a *small* secondary system in my studio, but became the big dog in the house after I heard it, and am still amazed by it.

Congrads, and happy listening!

Karl

IP Logged
crazy bill the eel killer
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/05/05 at 02:22:14

Hello dia405j,

First,  welcome.
Second, since you are so impressed and surprised by what your new little amp does ( I'm not surprised, I had the same reaction to my new Decware gear ), don't go buying a preamp yet till you talk to Steve.

I truly belive this Decware stuff is the BEST VALUE on the planet. With their money back guarantee, the first place I would look for a preamp would be there( I own a ZSLA-1 Sig- absolutely unbelievable), and no where else. If you don't like what you hear, you can send it back.

Happy hunting,                   Bill

IP Logged
echo15
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/06/05 at 01:42:45

I replaced a $4000.00 Cary Audio amp with the Select....it is that good.

IP Logged
Doorman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/06/05 at 02:37:55

" From my cold, dead fingers---"

IP Logged
Nubie_oz
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 12/06/05 at 10:19:36

Hi Echo15
What speakers do you use with your Select to dump your $4000 system? I purchased a pair of VTL 180 sig monoblocs and my Select has since been collecting dust because the Select just does not give me the bunch the VTL's do - listening to 'Regular Pleasures' by Patricia Barber in triode mode with the volume at 9 O'clock and the brick walls in my listening room literally shake.  Please let me know of your speakers, I want to experience the Select at its best before making a decision for its future.

Many thanks
YL

IP Logged
MikeS
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 12/06/05 at 15:19:56

YL,

His signature would suggest Lowther drivers in a bass-reflex cabinet.

MikeS

IP Logged
dla405j
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 12/06/05 at 17:41:59

thanks to all who welcomed me and replied to my enthusiasm for Decware triodes, now I have a new dilema.  I just received my second zen, an unmodded C, & I would say it's about 90% of my select modded.  Both are going into my second and third systems in two bedrooms..both systems have only tuner and CD (dac) for sources.  I don't have the $ for decware preamps..I just want to switch between sources without switching ICs...what's my options...How about the decware switch box??.what happened to zsla connects???..I really don't want to buy anything else...I have a decware switch box that I used with another simple pre and could not find loss of sound quality.  I have other tube pre's but want something simpler.  My other problem is that I have a newly acquired push-pull AES supepreamp and phonoamp and pre.. that I used until this decware craze...it cost 3 times as much and my memory says it doesn't have the sound of both of these zen amps...I'm afraid to hook them up again and learn the awful truth ..I need to get off of this merry-go-round and finalize my system(s).  The only advantage of the AES is the beauty and waf factor in the livingroom..( I actually like the simplicity of the Decware) advice??

IP Logged
crazy bill the eel killer
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 12/06/05 at 22:09:02

My best advice.

Hook em up again to MAKE SURE of your fears(of which I have no doubt are grounded in the truth), put all your AES stuff on Audiogon, Angry Shocked  and get a proper preamp(Decware of course).

THE ZEN TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE!!!!    :D
Happy hunting,               Bill

IP Logged
Steamer
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 12/13/05 at 02:23:37

Well I'm in the same boat as you and lovin it.The last couple days I have been listening to SE84CS monos in my system(a bit crazy...good crazy though!!!)and WOW yes these monos are very impressive.Like you I am converted and cant go back even though what I had goin on was awsome...now its better in so many ways.
Greg

IP Logged
JLM
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 12/13/05 at 15:57:43

Congrats on the scores.  You've got two of the Zen friendlier speakers to use with them.

As I recall, echo15's speakers are from David Ducks (change "u" to "i" as YABB won't allow a proper spelling) and do use Lowthers.

Opinions of these floorstanding bass reflex speakers that use either Lowther or Fostex FE206E drivers and of the developer vary widely.

I'll try to be nice and not share my opinion of David or his speakers, but more power to echo15 if he has managed to make them work for him.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print