Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/02/24 at 07:45:43 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cutting diameter out for Dbk-212 (Read 6683 times)
CaptHookLV
Ex Member

Cutting diameter out for Dbk-212
12/02/05 at 13:33:30

What tool is the best one to use to cut the holes for the speaker and 10", 11" diameters?  Anyone recommend anything?

I am trying to replace the center seat ina 98 Dodge Ram with one DBK212.  Has anyone laid the box on it's side and still had great results? Any ideas on where I should point the port? fire it up on the front side of the cab, fire it up on the rear side of the cab?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: Cutting diameter out for Dbk-212
Reply #1 - 12/02/05 at 14:18:00

as far as using the box on it's side, i don't think that you can use it otherwise in a car. i'm using mine in-home and it sounds better laid on it's side, because the woofer was sag.
try diffrent firing positions. since it's got a square "footprint" you can try anything. i'm not sure, since i haven't tried mine in a car  ::). what sounds best is best.
i cut every round cut on my DBs with a jig-saw. i guess it can become very difficult to cut speaker holes using a circular blade   Cry  :-/.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 12/02/05 at 14:30:57

Using a router with a circle jig is the best way. You get a perfect circle every time and the edges are sharp. You can even do a tight fitting recess to better couple the driver to the baffle.
A jig is not that expensive now, but years ago I used a piece of 1/4" formica type material to make my own circle jig. It works fine and it is custom fit to my router base.

IP Logged
boydon_lepasci
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12/03/05 at 01:52:04

The Jasper jigs available at http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3 are very popular on many forums. I bought mine locally at Woodcraft.

IP Logged
jodynugent
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/22/05 at 14:24:14

I recieved a Rotozip for father's day last year.  Think of a Dremel tool on steroids.  It has proven itself to be one handy item to have when cutting circles, bikini ports .. great tool.  Make sure you spring for the model with the hand chuck and get variable speed.  Also the new "X" bits are the cat's ass when it comes to MDF.

IP Logged
boydon_lepasci
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/23/05 at 02:33:44

Those Rotozips do look sweet, especially next to my twentyish year old Dremel. As mentioned above, buying into the router plan gives other benefits. I have not seen a Rotozip do a half inch rabet for a flush mounted driver nor a roundover on edges, corners or port openings(large enough to consider them flared).

It looks like the 'zips have attachments for them to do everything but teach your plants to talk so a circle jig must be in the lineup. It may not have the ease or guarenteed repeatability of a Jasper jig but I'm sure it will be one more smile on your face when you see the results.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print