03/29/24 at 01:57:45 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HDTs with WO32 (Read 8201 times)
2Sounz
Ex Member

HDTs with WO32
11/17/05 at 21:56:22

Are there any HDT owners who have added a WO32 sub to there system?

Reason I am asking is that I have built the HDTs and they are starting to sound really good, but a little thin on the mid and lower bass.  I am starting to think that they may need a good sub to 'fill' out the sound a bit.  Or potentially a more powerful amp, Taboo or Torii MKII (currently running a Zen CS).

Would like to hear any who have such a system and hear their impressions.  Perhaps also if you filter out the frequencies below the sub cut frequency going into the HDTs (either active high pass or passive filter).

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Ex Member

Re: HDTs with WO32
Reply #1 - 11/17/05 at 22:44:43

I had a similar experience and after talking to Steve he recommended I upgrade my Select to the EX mod. This helped the bass alot (negating the requirement of a very good sub I had - Talon Audio Roc).  However I did feel the top end air suffered a bit.

I am now moving to the Alternate tuning kit and gelled drivers.

John

IP Logged
2Sounz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/17/05 at 23:09:23

Thanks John.

I do have the EX transformers but was not planning the upgrade until I get in some new caps and stuff that I want to upgrade.

When you mentioned the high end suffered, is that to mean too lean or too bright after the EX mod?

IP Logged
Hrappur
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/17/05 at 23:51:51

Give the HDT´s more time to break in. Got about 400 hours on mine and they still seem to be gaining extension at the bottom. Binn a long time since iv´e turned on the sub Smiley

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/18/05 at 02:48:38

Thats a good point too Rap, they do take awhile to break in. For me EX upgrade reduced or removed a bit of the top end air that I had enjoyed with the stock CS, but again better bass so for me it was a worthwhile tradeoff.

Having both transformers will allow you to experiment and change back if you don't like it, which is great.

Good luck.
John

IP Logged
Yoda
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/18/05 at 03:47:39

One thought I recently had was to hook my HDT and WO32 drivers in series to drop the impedance to 4ohms as an experiment (adapted from the parker and imperial SO demo described in this year's decfest).

But I haven't felt any real need recently to hook the wo32 up since in the past 2 mos, the HDT's bass response has gotten so much better.  I've had my drivers for about 1.5 years.

IP Logged
Young_SC
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/18/05 at 09:57:50

I have a pair of homebuilt HDT's, but I am also looking for a sub to fill out the low end even with the EX mod.

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/19/05 at 22:23:01

I had a Talon Audio Roc 12. Dual 12 inch drivers with 1000 watt amplifier. This sub is more known for its high end audio capability than surround sound head banging video. It is seriously fast and known for being able to integrate with all types of speakers, even planar's.  

I liked the Talon with the HDT's. I had it setup with a pre and remote so could adjust volume or switch in and out from the listening position.  On some music with the sub in it really rounded it out, but there were also many times, with the sub switched out, it just sounded more pure.  As the HDT's burned in, and their bottom end improved, I liked the sub with less and less songs.

Steve did indicate to me that getting any sub to match with HDT's was very difficult.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print