04/29/24 at 14:52:33 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nice 10" Driver (Read 5417 times)
Braggi
Ex Member

Nice 10" Driver
11/15/05 at 16:10:30

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=01-...

As much as I'd like to give Steve the business on the drivers, these sure look nice. I like that 97 db sensitivity. If it goes twice as loud with the same power, you only need half as many (or fewer). That means half as many amps, cables, backaches ...

Question here for the more experienced: if the 1 watt sens. is significantly greater, does that sensitivity stay greater throughtout the power curve?

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Re: Nice 10" Driver
Reply #1 - 11/15/05 at 16:34:07

i don't think that the sens stays the same throught the freq range.
it's nice, but freq range on steve's is 10 hz lower. and for me that's a huge diffrence. what do you want to use it for ?

IP Logged
Braggi
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/15/05 at 16:52:47

WO for PA use.

You're right, of course, about the 10 hz, but the WO will produce bass below Fs, if I understand correctly, with most drivers. Perhaps this isn't such an issue in a WO?

I figure if I'm unsure about these issues, there are probably others. That's one reason I've posted here. Thanks for the additional info.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/15/05 at 17:06:52

I've been wondering about that same driver. They were on sale at PE in the summer, but I choked and didn't order any. The only concern I have is the Fs=46Hz and if you want deep lows it might not be the best choice. I've used other larger Eminence drivers with Fs in the 40s with great results, but I wasn't going for low response, just punch and they delivered that with boots on! Notice the Xmax is 3.2mm, but the mechanical limit is 21.84mm. It's designed to shrug off abuse and you will definitely get some punch out of this bad boy.

Quote:
......... does that sensitivity stay greater throughtout the power curve?

There's an evil warrior from the dark side called power compression that plays havoc with the math of designing a sound system. I can't remember exactly how to figure it, but it has to do with motor strength and compliance, but also the type of cabinet you use and Xmax of the driver affects compression to some degree.

This looks to me like a driver that can hold up fairly well against those evils and you should reach the Xmax without any compression. Some of the ridiculous Xmax specs you see will start to compress (meaning double the power, you don't actually get 3dB gain, yuck) well before half the Xmax is reached.

So, I guess the question is: Do you want digestion halting low response or bone rattling punch out of your build?

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/15/05 at 17:13:03

[quote author=Braggi  link=1132074630/0#2 date=1132073567]WO for PA use.

You're right, of course, about the 10 hz, but the WO will produce bass below Fs, if I understand correctly, with most drivers. Perhaps this isn't such an issue in a WO?

I figure if I'm unsure about these issues, there are probably others. That's one reason I've posted here. Thanks for the additional info. [/quote]

Yes you will have response  below Fs in a WO, but like any cabinet and any driver the response is rapidly falling below Fs. A 4th order cab will slow down the drop off, but if you expect response in the 30Hz range to be the same as 40Hz, it's not going to happen.

For live PA use, punch in the 40Hz range is very nice to have, and I would sacrifice the 30Hz range if necessary. Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print