Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/29/24 at 15:59:01 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wicked One Used for Bass Guitar (Read 13683 times)
bassman
Ex Member

Wicked One Used for Bass Guitar
11/14/05 at 18:36:20

Hello I built a wicked one cabinet to be used as my cabinet for my bass rig. I modified it to be used as a full range cabinet and am pretty darn pleased with the results. I don't know if I should have used any dampening material in it as this is my first cabinet that I have built. I loaded it with the decware DHM108B drivers and this thing thumps. I was told by the guitar player who by the way is on the opposite side of the stage that his ankles were vibrating. I also had this loaded with a pair of Carvin 10" speakers before which sounded good but did'nt have the low end for that growl I was looking for. Could I use all 4 drivers and how should I wire them. Looking for suggestions. Thanks and sorry so long.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Re: Wicked One Used for Bass Guitar
Reply #1 - 11/14/05 at 22:29:28

mixing drivers sounds like a scary idea to me.  even iso loading the matched pairs of drivers in each side is still scary sounding...

IP Logged
lunarlab
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/14/05 at 22:38:03

I would not recommend using mix matched drivers for any enclosure front loaded or bandpass...especially not for this box that has a shared wavefront.  It is important to keep the sound pressure equal to each side of the horn.  Curious to know what your port dimentions are... and how do you rate this for bass guitar ??? Post pics if you can.

IP Logged
bassman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/14/05 at 22:56:10

Thanks to all for the replies. Like I said I have never built a cabinet before. The dimensions are the same as the plans for the wicked one the 24" x 36" version with the throat opening modified to 3 inches. I am very happy with the sound although it is a little lacking in the high end (maybe should have went to 4" on the throat opening?) Just so you know I am in no way an audiophile as I have baked my ears too many years in the music business. I have however had a lot of experience with bass guitar cabinets and this definately is the loudest and deepest sounding cabinet I have ever used. I have had JBL with 2 18" and currently was using a ev b215-b cabinet which sounds great but doesn't have the low end especially for the 5 string I am using. Hmm maybe I will ebay the ev and build another cabinet. Anyway thanks again.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 11/14/05 at 23:34:41

Another successful application of the venerable WO!
Nice going, Bassman.
I know you can't just leave those Carvins sitting in the wings, so how about building another cabinet for them (similar size front) and leave it sealed for the hi-end response. Bi-amping would be better for this idea, but it might work fine running both full range if you get the phasing right.
Just be sure the impedance is OK for your amp when you wire it up.

You definitely don't want to mix mis-matched drivers in this cab, but you could always build another WO and put it on the other side of the stage. Tell the guitar player you want one for your ankles, too. Cheesy

IP Logged
bassman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/15/05 at 02:37:58

Thanks Dirt Dawg, and yes your right, I can't leave the carvins alone. I could use some suggestions on a cabinet, the only thing is they dont give a whole lot of specs for them on their site. Their box size is 23.5"W x 18.25"D x 17.5"H and ported I would'nt have the slightest clue how to calculate for a sealed box. But my amp is biampable so it would work great. Thanks for the ideas.

IP Logged
lunarlab
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11/15/05 at 03:34:39

[quote author=bassman  link=1131996980/0#5 date=1132022278]Thanks Dirt Dawg, and yes your right, I can't leave the carvins alone. I could use some suggestions on a cabinet, the only thing is they dont give a whole lot of specs for them on their site. Their box size is 23.5"W x 18.25"D x 17.5"H and ported I would'nt have the slightest clue how to calculate for a sealed box. But my amp is biampable so it would work great. Thanks for the ideas. [/quote]
For bass guitar I like coaxial setups... like the Eden and the SWR four-ten cabs with a center horn tweeter.  They make a two ten with center tweeter also that sounds great.  It is a rear ported box with a big diameter port. I assume they tune it up around 80 hz or so....Biamp is the way to go if you can cross your WO to a lower cutoff and play your carvins mid/high with a 2.2uf cap to a horn tweeter....you could go lower cutoff cap around 3.3uf if you can find a tweeter that will go down to 500-800 Hz....

IP Logged
bassman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/15/05 at 18:31:46

Your right Lunarlab those are some nice cabinets. I had the carvins laying around and thought that I would give the wo a go. The carvins freq response only went down to 60hz and I wanted more low end for that low B string so I put in a pair of DHM-108b's. Now thats what I'm talking about serious low end. Heres a couple pics. Needs another coat of paint though.
http://www.crewsade.com/pictures/DSCF0007.jpg
http://www.crewsade.com/pictures/DSCF0008.jpg

IP Logged
lunarlab
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/15/05 at 19:08:28

nice work....I like the plastic corners...hee hee... same as the ones I just ordered for my stack.  Check this mid high unity horn might look sharp with your new awesome bass rig....
http://lunarlab.greenbtn.com/music/pics/unityhorn.jpg

IP Logged
bassman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 11/15/05 at 19:13:14

[quote author=lunarlab  link=1131996980/0#8 date=1132081708]nice work....I like the plastic corners...hee hee... same as the ones I just ordered for my stack.  Check this mid high unity horn might look sharp with your new awesome bass rig....
http://lunarlab.greenbtn.com/music/pics/unityhorn.jpg [/quote]

I was just looking at that looks pretty sweet. Hmm brain is humming now

IP Logged
Braggi
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/16/05 at 03:54:13

Very nice, Bassman. A clean professional look. Keep that black felt pen on hand for scratches. Best of luck on the new box for the Carvins.

IP Logged
bassman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 11/16/05 at 20:57:33

[quote author=Braggi  link=1131996980/0#10 date=1132113253]Very nice, Bassman. A clean professional look. Keep that black felt pen on hand for scratches. Best of luck on the new box for the Carvins. [/quote]

Why thank you Braggi. I will let you know what I do when I myself figure it out.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/17/05 at 01:29:45

[quote author=bassman  link=1131996980/0#5 date=1132022278]Thanks Dirt Dawg, and yes your right, I can't leave the carvins alone. I could use some suggestions on a cabinet, the only thing is they dont give a whole lot of specs for them on their site. Their box size is 23.5"W x 18.25"D x 17.5"H and ported I would'nt have the slightest clue how to calculate for a sealed box. But my amp is biampable so it would work great. Thanks for the ideas. [/quote]

Hey bassman,

Maybe this info will help. You just need to download WinIsd from Linear Team and design a cabinet to fit your own needs.

That program is laid out very intuitively and after an evening (or 2)of goofing around with it you should get something useful to work with.

Keep us posted. Smiley

IP Logged
bassman
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 11/17/05 at 03:39:35

[quote author=DirtDawg  link=1131996980/0#12 date=1132190985]

Hey bassman,

Maybe this info will help. You just need to download WinIsd from Linear Team and design a cabinet to fit your own needs.

That program is laid out very intuitively and after an evening (or 2)of goofing around with it you should get something useful to work with.

Keep us posted. Smiley [/quote]

Thanks for the info and I will keep you posted. My hero thanks for the speaker info wherever you found it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print