04/29/24 at 11:18:15 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2/3 scale WO (Read 5329 times)
theycallmebrain
Ex Member

2/3 scale WO
11/03/05 at 20:51:46

hello , new audio head here,and just finished fitting all of the pieces on a 2/3 scale WO. I have a 1987 toyota 4 runner and am having fun and learnin with a bunch of speakers that i have acquired. in the WO i am gonna first put some sony speakers out of a mini "hi-fi" model # ss-rg20. i have no idea what the parameters are i just scaled down the original #'s by 1/3.i am a carpenter so if anyone has those type of ? i can help but I need help with a couple right now. before i assemble the speaker should I leave the wood bare or cover it with like carpet padding? am i supposed to eliminate all sharp corners on  the inside?......HATS OFF TO MR.DECKERT...this is an incredible design idea and was challenging for me a 10 carpenter. a word of advice to the few and the brave..take your time and if the first piece gets a lil too short before it fits start with a longer one!!!!!!!!!make the angles right from the start!!!! 1 little imperfect fit only compoundsand forget the tape measure once you got your layout just mark and cut it won't confuse you as much. any input into my experiment will be anxious enjoyed and appreciated  
 thank you amnd i'll give my input after i hear it  
 Jason    AKA Brain[color=Red][/color]  
 IP Logged  

IP Logged
lunarlab
Ex Member

Re: 2/3 scale WO
Reply #1 - 11/04/05 at 01:23:41

Always round any corner where high air velocity may cause turbulence....I use a 3/8 roundover for port corners and any bracing that may effect airflow.  I am curious how your 2/3 size will sound......

IP Logged
BigAir
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/04/05 at 04:22:31

A full sized Wicked One takes up a little over 10 cubic feet. (36x36x13.5/1728=10.1) If you scale down every dimension by 1/3,  (36" down to 24" and 13.5" down to 9") you will end up with a Wicked One that takes up only 3 cubic feet.  That's a lot less than 2/3 scale.

IP Logged
Jet-Lee
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/04/05 at 13:15:05

I've built a WO24, aka 24x24x13.5 version of the WO32. Sounded pretty good, but my latest creation sound better, IMO. Check the thread https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Wicked;action=display;num=11...

IP Logged
theycallmebrain
Ex Member

Re: 2/3 scale WO :Verdict
Reply #4 - 11/07/05 at 11:42:30

well the final dimensions end up 24x22x6.75 so whoever wants to calculate the scale lemme know I proportionally reduced all ofthe the original #'s by about 30% +-  ?%.the speakers are just under 5" dia. and are pieces of rubbish more or less.....but the sound that emminates from the beautiful lil hole is amazing.everone that had heard it is amazed.i already started making another one for some jbl 8's i have but one of em just had a heartattack and one of the input lines came disconnected from where it attached to the cone.is that going to the voicecoil? is it fixable?my neighbor is a dj and has 10 10" speakers but 2 don't have an enclosure...hhhhmmmmmm.i'll let yah know what happens. any additional input is appreciated
thx
Brain

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 11/07/05 at 13:00:57

Brain,

Build a fullsize 36x36 10" version using real SUBwoofers, don't scale anything, and hold on to something when you try it. Prepare yourself to be even more amazed.
Grin

IP Logged
BigAir
Ex Member

Re: 2/3 scale WO :Verdict
Reply #6 - 11/08/05 at 00:37:08

[quote author=theycallmebrain  link=1131054706/0#4 date=1131363750]well the final dimensions end up 24x22x6.75 so whoever wants to calculate the scale lemme know [/quote]

If a full size WO takes up 10.125 cubic feet and yours takes up 2.06 cubic feet, it would be about a 1/5 WO.  Those are just numbers though.  If it sounds good, blast it and have fun. Cheesy

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 11/08/05 at 16:39:30

there was a thread here somewhere about a scaled down wo for two 5.25" speakers. i just can't remember where  :-/ .
g'luck with your project. are you scaling down those "magic numbers" ?

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/08/05 at 17:25:09

Here is mine but it was not as successful as circlomanons
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Wicked;action=display;num=11...
If will give you a little info on what not to do! Smiley

these are his measurements I hope he does not mind
Its 23,5 x 25,5 x 7 inch.
His thread has seemed to disappear which is too bad. there was  a bunch of input and info there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print