04/29/24 at 14:31:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Outdoor use :D (Read 17955 times)
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Outdoor use :D
10/21/05 at 13:00:53

hey all. i want to build some sub for outdoor use....
i love playing basketball with my friends, but i currently lack  'sound'. since i have a cheap 10" (90db @ 1 watt and 80 wrms) in a db-10 that i'll replace (next year) with an infinity  i thought building a wo and buy another of those cheapies.
the only music the box is going to play is hip-hop (and1 soundtrack if any is familiar with basketball movies 8) ) so i guess i'll need decent respose from about 40 to 80 hz. do you think the wo will handle the task ? or should i go for ported ? or even hw ??? single or dual 10" high speed - high spl sub is the only option. wo32 is definetly out of the question since i can't buy the plans  :-[
headroom isn't going to be a problem (2x160 wrms amp @ 8 ohm). this means about 3db of headroom, right ?
this year's audio budget is 'gone' so if i want to build anything, i have to wait till next summer

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Re: Outdoor use :D
Reply #1 - 10/21/05 at 17:01:21

WO    outside  Yes
WO32 outside  No
so not having the money for the plansfor the WO32 is not a big thing.
I paid in US $ and it cost me for exchange, money order charge, and service fees. That kills.

Dirt Dawg built WO for his ( garden) and has a little knowledge of PA systems, very little. maybe a month or two anyway Roll Eyes

He can tell you most of what you need to know about PA use and among other things.
If I was doing anything outside or anything to do with PA I would see what he knows about it first.

Gex

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/21/05 at 18:38:42

i don't have a giant back yard and i haven't had more then 10 people in my back yard when playing in a regular afternoon. plus that i can put the wo to face a corner...

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 10/22/05 at 01:03:04

[quote author=gexter  link=1129899653/0#1 date=1129910481]WO    outside  Yes .............
Dirt Dawg built WO for his ( garden) and has a little knowledge of PA systems, very little. maybe a month or two anyway Roll Eyes ...........

Gex
[/quote]

Gex,

There ya go again, gettin' it all mixed up. It was 3 months experience I got one day. Grin

My outdoor WOs work great, especially since I got them both iso-loaded, now. (I won't be taking any guff about iso-loading anymore, either.) Only problem for me, is that the cold, wet season has started and I'm getting my stuff ready to hibernate in the garage for a few months.

They worked fine with 2 drivers per WO also, and you will be impressed if you have efficient drivers in them.

Good Luck, Adrian!  :D

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/22/05 at 19:10:23

Thanks dawg. did iso improve the lf extension ?
till next summer i'll have to forget about speakers.  :(
i'll look at the pics from that older post about wo with two re xxx 10's to get some building ideas.

IP Logged
bnew63
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/22/05 at 23:27:48

Dirt have you had a chance to compare a regular WO to an iso-loaded WO.I would be interested in your observations.I've also iso-loaded a WO.I noticed immediatly how much more control it gives you at higher volumes.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/23/05 at 00:27:13

[quote author=bnew63  link=1129899653/0#5 date=1130020068]Dirt have you had a chance to compare a regular WO to an iso-loaded WO.I would be interested in your observations.I've also iso-loaded a WO.I noticed immediatly how much more control it gives you at higher volumes. [/quote]

Yeah, side by side iso is better controlled and that's the key. If you just want loud, then a WO can do it pretty well. If you push it to the ragged edge, a standard WO is not bad, but iso-loaded and pushed to the ragged edge the difference is very noticeable. Not really louder overall, but at the point where the driver seems uncontrolled is probably 4dB or more louder iso-loaded and still under control.

Adrian,

It's in the lowest freqs where the driver control suffers first. So LF extension? ......... You can get some with an EQ, but the iso-loaded one is cleaner when you push it hard.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/23/05 at 16:28:24

so. i understand it's gonna be ok for outdoor use. i just hope it's gonna be better than ported or sealed. i'm not sure about iso, but i guess i won't use it.
thanks again

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/23/05 at 16:39:14

Adrian,

You will have the same problem with any ported box, to varying degrees. Any time you try to attain response below the port tuning, there will be a danger of unloading the driver. Only a sealed box can support a driver at any frequency.
Build a WO and you won't regret it. Cheesy

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/23/05 at 17:28:15

i will build it. the problem is that school's started for about 2 months and i'd like to get good results, just as i did last year. so it's very 'dangerous' to think about the build... Grin

IP Logged
bnew63
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/23/05 at 21:49:40

I agree with DD you won't regret building a WO.I've built four over the last 1 1/2 years(all with different size drivers)and have not been disappionted yet.They also get easier to build after the first one.
As I've said in the past,the same drivers will be louder in the WO than a BR cabinet!!

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 10/24/05 at 13:09:06

My only concern is about the angle cuts, because i have a jig-saw (go ahead laugh, i built a db-10 and a db-12 spot-on with it) and i'm afraid i won't be able to set the angle very precisely... measuring and finding angles isn't a concern at all, because i love geometry Cheesy
what should i use to fill the gaps if i don't get my angles right ? is it that thing used at cars to fill the small dents in the bodywork (sorry, i don't know the name), but for wood use ?
i just hope i won't like it more than my dbs....  ???

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 10/24/05 at 15:09:33

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1129899653/0#11 date=1130155746]My only concern is about the angle cuts, because i have a jig-saw (go ahead laugh, i built a db-10 and a db-12 spot-on with it) and i'm afraid i won't be able to set the angle very precisely... measuring and finding angles isn't a concern at all, because i love geometry Cheesy
what should i use to fill the gaps if i don't get my angles right ? is it that thing used at cars to fill the small dents in the bodywork (sorry, i don't know the name), but for wood use ?

[/quote]

body filler (bondo) caulk / silicone or liquid nails.all work well at filling gaps.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 10/24/05 at 15:23:19

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1129899653/0#11 date=1130155746]My only concern is about the angle cuts, because i have a jig-saw (go ahead laugh, i built a db-10 and a db-12 spot-on with it) and i'm afraid i won't be able to set the angle very precisely... measuring and finding angles isn't a concern at all, because i love geometry Cheesy

[/quote]

Not laughing ........ wrinkling my brow. A jigsaw will fight you when you try to cut MDF to precise angles.
  >:(     <<< That's you after a few tries.
All is not lost, because you can always cut it long and sand it perfect. That will be infuriating, too.
If you lay out the plans and consider your cuts carefully, there are only 3 precise angled boards to cut on each side if you use butt joints. In other words, where two boards meet only one must be cut perfectly to connect them and the adjoining board can be cut slightly long and later be sanded flush after the glue dries. A belt sander is a great help for that, but a hand rasp will work.
It won't be easy, but your great grandfather built his world without fancy power tools. You will need to call on your "old world" craftmanship and determination to complete the build. I'm not trying to patronize you, but rather encourage you not to give up, even considering it will take 4 times as long for you to do it right with simple tools.
I would do not depend heavily on wood fillers to correct for bad cuts ..... get the cuts as close as possible before you glue and your joints will be much stronger.
You mentioned that you aren't starting the project right away, so you have time to plan it all out. One thing you might consider is a part time job at the mill where you had work done before. You might be able to earn some table saw privelidges there. Or maybe a classmate has a father or uncle with carpentry tools and you could get him interested in the project and build one for each of you.
My point is that if you want a WO, you can build one in spite of the challenges you face.

Quote:
i just hope i won't like it more than my dbs....  

Sorry, that part is not negotiable. You will like the WO much more than your DBs.

The 3rd one I helped build was done mainly by a youngster, your age and he was not a "sawsman" and his worked fine with all of his mistakes filled with silicone.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 10/24/05 at 19:26:10

The WO is a wonderful enclosure and very flexible in its use.
I Will build more WO's but not a DB unless I can't fit a WO in

It could be done with your tools. I run the edge across sandpaper on a flat surface to iron out those possible irregularities.
I got my table saw after I built dozens of enclosures.

I would have all the panels cut out of a 4x8 sheet and do all the small cuts yourself.

an older "jigsaw" may not share your love of geometry.
my blade wobbles so bad that I would not attempt an angled cut.

IP Logged
bnew63
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 10/25/05 at 00:26:06

Polyureathane glue is a great adhesive/joint filler.A circular saw would be a great time saver and really don't cost that much.It would allow you to cut almost all of the angles a simple jig would allow you to cut the rest.

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 10/25/05 at 12:44:25

I said before that i'll measure all the panels i'll have to cut and order them (guess i'll draw a 1/10 scale plan and measure everything). my concern was with the angles. i'm using the money for the table saw to buy an active x-over Cheesy
2 pics from my db-10 revisit (i changed the front panel because the on the first i cut the halfmoon too big and the angled panel in the baffle)

just to take a look at the build.
anyways, i'm not afraid of using the ol' wood rasp and sandpaper. my blade also wobbles a bit, that's why i'm afraid to cut long parts. the 45 deg cut on panel f actually turned out perfect with the help of sandpaper
Thanks again for your help.
after i'll build my first wo, i'll post impressions and pics. till then i'll try iso-loading my db-10.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 10/25/05 at 13:16:02

particle board !
pretty straight cuts, you used a jigsaw? looks nice.
I think your WO is going to be just as nice as your DB. That glue/caulking would be a very idea with that material and the jigsaw cuts.
Having the sealed chamber sealed would be 1 if I was using partical board.
Over here that stuff is partical board  not MDF. It will not stand up to heavy use. But is has worked out fine for some.

thanks for the pics

gex

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/25/05 at 14:00:19

Thanks. the only jigsaw cuts were those for speaker holes. the other cuts were done by the guys at the furniture shop with a very high speed saw.
is this stuff leaky ? because i didn't have problems yet.
heavy use ? i'll surely use two speakers just like the one in the pics and i guess they'll get full power (80 w each) almost all the time. i just hope it won't blow. i plan to put an infinity reference in the db-10. do you think particle board will survive ?
i'll check at the shop to see if they don't happen to have mdf instead of particle board.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print