04/25/24 at 12:20:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie questions (Read 4136 times)
pargon
Ex Member

Newbie questions
10/04/05 at 20:33:01

This is an exciting speaker, and forum. I have a pair of Gauss 18"s that I have been looking for the right enclosure for, and my search might be over. Is there a need to scale up the Imperial for twin 18"s? would it be more "flexible" for movement and placement to build 2 boxes, one 18" each, or does the need for output necessitate putting them next to each other anyway? thanks

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Re: Newbie questions
Reply #1 - 10/04/05 at 20:45:19

my opinion only,but
If you have the room, build them as steve does, and build two each with a 18. you will get more out of two seperates than one with two drivers.
I think someone was talking like a 3 db boost in using two in one.
Double check with the guys here to be sure.

I would build two, but thats just me.

Gex

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Re: Newbie questions
Reply #2 - 10/05/05 at 03:30:49

the sheer size of the imperial is its strength in output, its a backhorn, so the length of the horn, and the size of the mouth determine the output.  Above the tuning of the horn, the drivers front wave needs to take up the slack.  Two full sized imperials with 1 18" each would theoretically have +3db over a single imperial with 2 18" in the tuning reange of the horn, and the same output from the frontwave.  This is because all thats really changing in the system is the inclusion of another backhorn, as there were 2 18"s in the comparative scenario.  If you have the room build two, if you only have rrom for one, build one, dont split them, as you will be halving the horns volume and raising its tuning frequency,.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print