Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 07:23:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Modified Imperial corner cab (Read 5541 times)
gexter
Ex Member

Modified Imperial corner cab
10/01/05 at 06:08:05

yes I am at it again.
I am really begining to like Cardboard.

Materials- Construction waste, Fridge boxes, recycled screws, sub compression chamber is cut up old signage from my store.

This was the most fun of them all...
Based on the Imperial corner cab, my version of the SO.
I just wanted to know if the idea worked. Considering my hackmaster skills it worked better than I hoped considering the compromises  had to do. I used that new $12 12" rockbox sub that was gathering dust.

MODS- 2" shallower, 3" narrower, Corners removed to create a wider horn, I removed the  partial side vents because whole top is going to be an extended horn when I fit it under my bench.
It will vent into the large space where my Air compressor is.
It has an reinforced compression chamber that is 3 cubic feet with damping ( I did not weigh it).
Oh and a cute little a slot. The OSB is laminated by numerous coats of goop.

What have I got to say after watching Ronin? I liked it! I would like to use it as my HT sub but when it is completely done it is destined to reside under my workbench for where it was made to go.

As JohnF said the Imp takes so little power.

I did not crank it but I was very deep and ( this may sound wierd {relaxing} )compared to my other creations.
It would still make me jump and my cheap system really came alive. It was a shame when I had to disconnect it and put my other sub back. I had to double the output to the old sub to get even remotely close to volume that the Imp was putting out. My old sub sounded real ugly compared to my Imp hack.

When it goes under my bench the horn will have another four feet of length and a exit mouth of about three feet X three feet if It will fit where I want it.
During the design and assembly, science and careful calculations slowly dwindled away and it would be interesting how it would have turned out if I took it seriously.

I know now that I really would like a real Imp SO if I had the room.

I have not built a WO32 yet, but I bet the (real) Imp SO sounds as good if not better with less power.

It was fun   Smiley

http://tinypic.com/e6ofwg.jpg

Gex

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Re: Imperial corner So kinda So
Reply #1 - 10/01/05 at 13:38:23

Looks like a cool experiment. Nice work! Congrats on completion of a fun project. Maybe you should keep it in the house. Try tuck-n-roll upholstery to match HER drapes?  ;D

How many thicknesses of cardboard did you use?

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Re: Imperial corner So kinda So
Reply #2 - 10/01/05 at 15:49:22

It was supposed to be 1 inch fiberglass reinforced cardboard.
my second choice was 7/8 cardboard which makes up most of the critical areas.
the front and inside are 7/8 the sides are 3/4 and the back is braced and glued 1/2.

The type of carboard makes a huge differance.

The chamber is about Inch thick with an inside layer of 1/4 plywood glued screwed and braced.

What you see is the bottom of the complete horn ( in theory anyway) it will have a horn length of about 8 feet and a mouth of about 33 X30 when installed in my garage.

I could fill the little dips in the carboard and use that fake wood Mac tack and stick it on.

Gex

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Re: Modified Imperial corner cab
Reply #3 - 10/05/05 at 03:36:16

A monster is born!  rejoice DIY junkies everywhere...  

I want one, first id need a garage though, then a bench, oh and some toold of my own LOL

nice work Gex, hope it works out as well as you want it to.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/05/05 at 04:30:30

actually JJ I get to move it back into the house for a test this week
I am going to send my wife shopping by herself without the kids and we are going to fire up the HT centre and see how far it goes before the cardboard starts buzzing and it sounds like crap. ( it is not your typical cardboard build )

I put a lid on it and vented it out the front and sides like the original corner cab  for now. I have my doubts it will sound as good.

No more builds for awhile but I still want the SO and WO32 plans and will be getting those as soon as steve puts the SO plans up for sale.

later, Gex

IP Logged
stvcmty
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 10/05/05 at 05:16:52

I had some buzz problems with my imperial when I took it outside and was running about 300 watts into it.  The solution was to put weight on it.  The added weight dampened vibrations.  Then, it cleaned up quite a bit.

[Foot stony did the same thing with his half imperial]

Stv

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/07/05 at 18:18:12

a simple suggestion for reducing resonances in cardboard can be taken from Red Green, duct tape baby!

wrap that sucker up good, and there ya go, no rattle LOL

it wont be pretty tho.

IP Logged
stvcmty
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/07/05 at 18:26:06

How would duck tape help?

Resonance’s come from panel flex, and I don’t see how duck tape will help stop flexing.

Thank you for the clarification,

Stv

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/08/05 at 02:51:09

Well I gave it a good run tonight, but my amp was not up to the task. No rattle, no wierd leaks, just that sick sound when your amp section chokes. Cry
All around pretty smooth, only needs a little power for nice full fill. But It takes more power than I can give it to over power everything else.
It even sounds nice when I am out of the room. No strange resonences.
I hear about people saying everything around you can be creating its own sound.
I never really understood that until tonight. It does not seem to create the buzz in wall etc, but has a rumble you can feel instead.
Kinda wierd. not used to it. wanna keep cranking it until I can hear it and then the amp clips. I have no idea why it wants so much juice except the fact its a $15 or so 12" sub.

I like playing but I really would like to build a real one that Steve has all the bugs worked out.
And thats my take on it Smiley

But I think the WO32 is next possibly with 12" or just Decware 10" This time it will have its own plate amp minimum 250 Watts.
Kinda keen on the 300 watt bash amp at PE.

The more I build the picker I get.
Just have to take 60's advice and build a WO32 it may be the closest thing to happyness right now.

No more hacks for awhile.

Gex

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print