04/29/24 at 10:11:58 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tweaking the WO (Read 9943 times)
Learner_UK
Ex Member

tweaking the WO
09/20/05 at 19:59:19

I built my WO last easter, and it sits happily in my room sounding great. Now, ive just moved into a house with some mates, and the WO is of course following me. I know i can already blow them away with its pressence and sound, but i was wondering, is there anything i can do short of changing the amp or drivers, to give the WO just that little bit more depth, snap, punch and solid LF clarity?

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Re: tweaking the WO
Reply #1 - 09/23/05 at 19:36:18

a good bet would be to expand the mouth further, just continue the flare out and the "horn" will get longer (louder) and wider (deeper)  you could use wall peices of varying lengths and square panels for temporary tops and bottoms to test out this theory, i would, but i have no WO, let us know how it goes ok?

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/23/05 at 23:17:05

[quote author=Learner_UK  link=1127246359/0#0 date=1127242759]I built my WO last easter, and it sits happily in my room sounding great. Now, ive just moved into a house with some mates, and the WO is of course following me. I know i can already blow them away with its pressence and sound, but i was wondering, is there anything i can do short of changing the amp or drivers, to give the WO just that little bit more depth, snap, punch and solid LF clarity? [/quote]

1.point the mouth of the box towards a corner try different distances 10 inch 15 30 etc, so the output from the wo fires into the corner and reflects into the room.
2. try pointing the mouth towards the floor and sit the box on short legs (4 inches or so maybe a couple of bricks?)

both these ideas have worked well for me and cost nothing.

IP Logged
Learner_UK
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/25/05 at 12:34:16

[quote author=jj420  link=1127246359/0#1 date=1127500578]a good bet would be to expand the mouth further, just continue the flare out and the "horn" will get longer (louder) and wider (deeper)  you could use wall peices of varying lengths and square panels for temporary tops and bottoms to test out this theory, i would, but i have no WO, let us know how it goes ok?
[/quote]

If i extend the horn flare, do you mean like this??

IP Logged
lunarlab
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/28/05 at 09:17:44

Do like I do and build an army of bass !!! Have you concidered a second WO ??? A third etc... One thing I have learned from years of live sound and large events is to increase that horn mouth size.    The WO is great for stacking ! If you really must impress your roomates then you must first build enough speakers so they dont have any more space to get around and just moove out...

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/30/05 at 16:27:05

yep-, you got it, you can even leave the box height the same, and just continue the natural flare already started by the existing box, think of it like extending the walls of the mouth outwards at the same angle, and extending the top and bottom of the cabinet to maintain the seal.

IP Logged
serenechaos
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 10/01/05 at 18:31:53

Wouldn't that mean going form a hyperbolic flare to a conical one?  

Shouldn’t the flair continue to increase, at the same rate (whatever that is)?
Robert  :)

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 10/01/05 at 18:44:54

OK. That sounds right?
I've read a study combining different flare rates in one unit, but I've lost the link. For instance (Don't quote me!) you can follow conical flare with an exponential flare, or a blah blah with a ... can't remember. I do remember that you can always add a conical extension to any horn. That's why corner loading horns helps more than simply being in 1/8 space. Wink

EDIT: The critical point to the study was that some combinations don't work and should be avoided and that's the part I've forgotten. Cry

IP Logged
serenechaos
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/01/05 at 19:04:40

If ya plot corner (trihedral) loading out, it is elliptical (inverted hyperbolic).  

I'm building a large sub (8' x 8' x 2') with a 20' length inside.  
Flare rate is 15 Hz.  
With the 8' x 2' mouth firing into an open corner 4' away,
a graph of the flair (expansion rate) of the horn
superimposed on the flair of the corner
shows them to intersect right at that point.  

That’s why I was throwing the “change in expansion rate” question in.  
I’m wondering how changing expansion rate effects things and what one can “get away” with?  
Robert  :)

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 10/01/05 at 19:14:54

You may be right, I can't remember. They called a corner "conical". But if they are wrong about that, maybe the whole thing is BS. I'll try to find the study again. It might be interesting to some. Manufacturers stack horn flares all the time for HF, but LF behaves differently.

IP Logged
Learner_UK
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 10/02/05 at 19:04:12

I havent made the said flare adjustemnts yet, but i have turned my amp up to full, and put an 18db gain into the WO using my active crossover. OMG!!! the whole house shook, you could feel it out side on the street!!!!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print