Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 00:17:05 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DAYTON IB385-8 15" IB, but with what amp? (Read 12298 times)
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

DAYTON IB385-8 15" IB, but with what amp?
08/23/05 at 02:45:38

I'm looking into purchasing two DAYTON IB385-8 15" IB drivers and the specs seem to match up decently to what is recommended for the 15.  I think i have to buy an amp for the subs but I'm not sure which one to get for my hwk. i have a Sony home receiver putting out 100wts x 6 channels and it has a separate sub woofer output jack that i used to have plugged into some crap sub woofer that i got from a friend (for free).  well I'm looking forward to getting rid of this POS sub and get my hwk going but i need help with this whole amplifier deal before i make any decisions.  i appreciate the help.

IP Logged
JohnF
Ex Member

Re: DAYTON IB385-8 15" IB, but with what amp?
Reply #1 - 08/23/05 at 04:27:25

If I had a pair of IB15's I'd use them as they were intended, in an IB setup or OB.  They may work well in a HWK, but I don't know.  Typically high excursion subwoofer drivers don't fair as well as pro type drivers, mainly because the HWK isn't tuned for the true subwoofer range on the low end.  The 15" version is more of a 30-80hz hard hitting sub for music.  I don't know of anyone who tried a HWK with a high Q high excursion driver.  I run some highish Q 12's in mine, but they are cheapy drivers and Quad loaded.

Amp wise you wouldn't need more than 300 watts.  Each is rated for 140 watts in a free air IB setup, but you probably have some cone control from the bandpass loading and on the flipside you have no air mass load on the isobarik side.

IP Logged
BIG_GEOFF
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/23/05 at 05:23:38

What 15" drivers would you recommend in that case?  I mostly listen to music with my stereo but i pop in the dvd every now and then.  I have tried looking at other topics to find which drivers to get but I keep comming up short.

IP Logged
jj420
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/24/05 at 02:56:43

most of the owners on the forum have the Dayton 15's, not IB, or the Dayton 15 DVCs, and so far everyone save a few has liked them.

IP Logged
toomanyamps
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/30/05 at 15:59:59

I have used the series Dayton Series II 15 and they work in the cab but don't go really low enough for me. They drop off dramatically below 40 hz in my room. Output is realistically down to the low 30's with room gain.

The HWK 15 Is clean and efficient though...... Wink

BTW, the whole "levitated a floor rug" thing is really just the bottom ports blowing air along the floor to a nearby object.  ::) No magic here. Don't expect the HWK to be the end of your sub search but and introduction to being unhappy with the compromises made in most subwoofer designs and applications. When you start to really analyse what good bass performance is. You want to keep going and going.....
This forum is a great place for ideas. It has many knowledgeable people..... also many folks asking the right questions Grin

Eventually the subwoofer becomes one with the room. Like a chamber within a chamber. Once you understand how the physics work (subs are a GREAT example of this) you can apply that to your situation. Many people build all kinds of
speakers with all kinds of results. I think building subs is easier with more allowance for error. Plus it's just really rewarding when something works right. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
HT-EXT
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 12/09/05 at 15:01:32

I use DAYTON Series II ST385-8 15" and have no doubt they are the best for my set up. MCM and PARTS EXPRESS have 250 watt plate amps that work great for me. My friend use an audiosource stereo amp (200+ watts bridged) to run his HWK15 and it works great for him. My personal favorite is the 350 watt plate amp with remote from MCM(part# 50-6282). The remote comes in real handy when testing different set ups or movies. Everyone has an opinion but this is what works for me and my room set up. Hope the info helps.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 12/09/05 at 15:15:01

[quote author=BIG_GEOFF  link=1124765138/0#0 date=1124761538]I'm looking into purchasing two DAYTON IB385-8 15" IB drivers and the specs seem to match up decently to what is recommended for the 15.  I think i have to buy an amp for the subs but I'm not sure which one to get for my hwk. i have a Sony home receiver putting out 100wts x 6 channels and it has a separate sub woofer output jack that i used to have plugged into some crap sub woofer that i got from a friend (for free).  well I'm looking forward to getting rid of this POS sub and get my hwk going but i need help with this whole amplifier deal before i make any decisions.  i appreciate the help.
[/quote]

i use an old jvc amp i got at a thrift store for my sub. $30 and works very well, but i have a 'paradigm x20' as a x over before the amp ($50 e bay).

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 12/09/05 at 15:29:48

[quote author=60ndown  link=1124765138/0#6 date=1134141301]

i use an old jvc amp i got at a thrift store for my sub. $30 and works very well, but i have a 'paradigm x20' as a x over before the amp ($50 e bay).
[/quote]
I would like to find one of these alledged "thrift stores" some day. Around here, the only thing even close is a pawn shop and they want to get rich with each transaction. There's also Goodwill, but there's never anything there except clothes, art deco ashtrays, and used Mr. Coffees. Angry

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12/09/05 at 15:59:28

I keep trying out my "thrift stores" and I can find new on sale for not much more.
Maybe if you have something to trade it would be better.
I went all over town and gave up trying to find a good deal on a PA amp or any amp for that matter.

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/09/05 at 20:18:55

two words boys,

E BAY

tons of amps cheap, get with the program, this is the 90s'....20s actually

http://electronics.search.ebay.com/amplifier_Home-Audio_W0QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQsaca...

IP Logged
Adrian D.
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 12/15/05 at 13:56:42

you huys in the us are so lucky having ebay.. Roll Eyes. there's no ebay in romania... Sad, but there is a weekly market on saturday, where people sell lots of old stuff. i bought my technics amp from that market 3 yrs ago...and i'm very pleased with it.
Quote:
E BAY

tons of amps cheap

you gotta luv those bridgeable pa amps...;D

IP Logged
60ndown
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 12/15/05 at 14:38:45

[quote author=Adrian D.  link=1124765138/0#10 date=1134655002]you huys in the us are so lucky having ebay.. Roll Eyes. there's no ebay in romania... Sad, but there is a weekly market on saturday, where people sell lots of old stuff. i bought my technics amp from that market 3 yrs ago...and i'm very pleased with it.
you gotta luv those bridgeable pa amps...;D [/quote]

if it helps, i could buy something on e bay and ship it too you? you pay costs.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print