04/29/24 at 14:09:17 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Build the Perfect WO (Read 30189 times)
j_rock777
Ex Member

Build the Perfect WO
07/16/05 at 15:51:58

I want to build the perfect wo for two 10 inch subwoofers.  My plan so far is to build the 24x36 version and adapt it a little. I really like Circlomanen's curved flares, but I have no idea how to lay out an exponential curve.  I was also planning on building the sealed chamber to the correct size of a fourth order bandpass for the subs.  I think these two things will improve the basic WO design, but what other things should I attempt to add?  I want a good all around box, fast accurate and loud.  I believe in the WO after having built three, I just want to specialize it for the subs I have.

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Re: Build the Perfect WO
Reply #1 - 07/16/05 at 17:01:55

Here you see the original drawing and the new bent panel flare of the WO. This worked for me, but if you are building anything other than the original WO you are very much on your own. Its new grounds and the results are only due to your own skill, understanding (of how it works) and luck.
I do however think that the curved panels works very good in a couple of different ways.
1, the are extremly stiff and resistent to resonanses and flexing.
2, they should make the "rubber mouth" effect work more effective and give a bit higher efficiency.
3, if you extend the mouth (almost) all the way out to the edges of the box, you should get even higher efficiency due to the larger radiating surface.

IP Logged
j_rock777
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/16/05 at 17:34:16

I think I might lay out a curve like yours, only keep the straight exit, where the mouth of the original wo is.  I remember you saying the curve is made of a masonite type material right? is it doubled or tripled up?

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 07/16/05 at 18:54:49

Four layers. But thats a minimum for a small size WO. Make it at least six layers bonded with glue for a normal sized WO.

IP Logged
j_rock777
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/17/05 at 17:05:36

Okay I think I got a design for a perfect WO using 12s:

Same dimesnions as the ten inch version for starters, except angle the top so that the 12s can fit in the baffle.  This way the 12s have an air impedence the same as the 10s, which should provide for a higher pressure wave. Include the exponetial curve to increase efficiency, I think we have a winner. Plus the horn/transformer has a highjer increase in area.

If someone builds it and it works, subtracting from the heighth will allow for a 10 inch version.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 07/17/05 at 21:57:03

Good call on the triangle thingie whatamacallit at the bottom of the throat. It will increase volocity and lessen turbulance. If Circlomanen is correct this is the final step to what he has already done.
when you mean angle the 12"s do you mean mounting them so they tip forward or back towards the sealed enclosure offsetting the volume of the sealed chamber? I have modeled this as well.

I don't know, it looks like by the pictures Circlomanen has a bigger horn
Area ratio to driver.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/19/05 at 03:49:49

Looked a little closer today and with some extra information the dimensions are nearly square not rectangular.
My eye picked up on a 2 inch differance, so it is only slighty rectangular.
A two inch difference it appears can make an enormous change in sound.
That and possibly the horn ( modified flow ) combined with it makes all the difference. I wanna see someone duplicate the effect several times. I am going to use a partial modified design to see if I can break it down. That will take a little time with my schedule.

IP Logged
j_rock777
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/19/05 at 22:38:43

well basically it is just the 36 x 36 version laid out correctly.  Then I put curve horn flares. Finally I angle the top of the cab so that the height at the baffle is big enough for the 12 to go straight up in.  it angles down far enough so that the throat has the same area as the 10 inch version, therby increasing the impedance the 12s recieve.  The throat then expands even quicker than the 10 or 12 inch version because the top is angled.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/19/05 at 23:10:03

Undecided

IP Logged
j_rock777
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/19/05 at 23:15:11

another way to make it look cooler would be to make the horn's top parrallel, the sealed and compression chamber woudl be elevated and angled above the flat horn path.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/19/05 at 23:15:39

j_rock777 if the top of the cab modified like I have it pictured in my head, Would'nt your beer keep falling off it you were'nt paying attention.
Kinda useless don't ya think?

That is one cool design. I would really like to see a picture or diagram of that if you get it going.

IP Logged
j_rock777
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 07/19/05 at 23:17:55

I am grounded for another week, so I may just build the thing. or at least model it in cad3D...either way I think it is the best way so far to modify the WO for 12s and keep the majority of ti liek the ten version.

IP Logged
j_rock777
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/20/05 at 00:34:32

heres the best I can do on the paint program at work:

same concept except it keeps the horn the same as the original version except the curved flares...

IP Logged
j_rock777
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/09/05 at 23:59:14

any thoughts people?

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 08/11/05 at 21:14:36

Quote:
any thoughts people?

I have a whole lot of them. Mostly too wierd and fucced up, but once in a while I get a good one.

Smiley

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 08/12/05 at 22:00:42

I think the ultimate WO would be double the height and four drivers, two on each side. Then add bent panels as in my "small WO with lotsa bass" thread.
The reason for this is that a slot or very rectangular horn mouth is a suboptimum shape as a horn. A horn should be round or as close as posible to that shape, to work as intended. If you make the height 24 inch the mouth will be bigger and will be more optimum shaped for a horn.
After feeling the extrem pressures in the WO box I want to make it as stable and heavy as possible. I would love making it out of concrete! Three inches thick!!!
Furthermore I want high efficiency. Light cones and lots of voicecoil in the magnetic gap. Realy strong magnets.
It doesnt matter if the woofers only can take 25 watts each as long as their efficiency is realy high. 103 dB/W/m or more. Four of those in a WO should give a total efficiency of 112 dB/W/m. 100 watt and 112 dB/W/m will give you 132 dBs of soundpressure!!!

IP Logged
j_rock777
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 08/13/05 at 14:13:12

What I am looking for is things that have worked in the past, like Circloman's curved flare.  And then combine them into one ultimate WO.  I really think I may be onto something with the slanted top for higher compression at the horn throat, so I might just build one quick.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 08/18/05 at 12:12:53

I take it that you are trying to gather enough information to increase the probabilities of success with your modded design?
You have two good ideas to combine.
Is it not possible if you try to include too many mods that it will depart to far from the design to work well?
Your holding off in order to have a more successful attempt. Why not make it so you can dissassemble it easier until you get it right. Even with some air leaks it will give you an idea of where you need to go.
I have gutted my Little WO a number of times and it looks like crap but it gives me a chance to play with a single box without starting completely over.
using damping and making the sealed volume as big as you can so you can reduce it if needed is a thought. I think the volume of the chamber after the sealed one is more flexible in size than the sealed, just a guess though.
the type of path and size is the challange. I think Steves design is simple and uncluttered creating a simple and effective build right off.
Only us " modders" are willing to tweak and have failures and learn and move on. The design may be able to be adjusted with success but result in being more complicated.

As far as Ideas "build it and they will come"
Power to the Modders Smiley

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 08/18/05 at 14:42:58

[quote author=gexter  link=1121529118/15#19 date=1124363573]Is it not possible if you try to include too many mods that it will depart to far from the design to work well?...............................................

.........................................As far as Ideas "build it and they will come"
Power to the Modders Smiley [/quote]

Very possible gexter, but the worst thing that happens when you change more than one thing at a time is that you don't know how much any one thing may have helped or hindered your design. Suppose you have a great idea and a bad idea incorporated at the same time and it improves performance because the great idea was so helpful. But, if you had left out the bad idea the design would have been great. Now compound your error by giving credit for the improvement to the bad idea and your next design includes more of the bad idea.....and you don't know why it doesn't work. Whoops! So, you're right, it doesn't work as well to alter too many things at once.

When I built my first 2 WOs I stayed as close to the design as possible. Then after a few tests I altered the port area mainly because it was either flexing under load or too sharp of a turn and adding harmonics to a pure sine wave. At first I temporarally added a corner filler and got an improvement but I still had some resonance, so I reshaped the port area and doubled it. Then most of the ugliness was gone, but I had a different harmonic become more noticeable. (That's when it feels like your hair is turning gray or falling out in my case.)
After much further goofing around (can't really call it testing this time) I discovered that the 2 sides of the pressure wave were actually out of phase to the point it was audible, usually meaning the horn flares too rapidly in some area. At that point I got out a microphone and some headphones and put the mic inside from the mouth at different positions to try and determine how to fix it. 2 or 4 mics and an o'scope would have helped, but I no longer enjoy such luxuries. After moving a 12" board around the second turn for a while I found the spot that was losing velocity and blocked it up. ......VOILA! No more harmonics in the signal!

I'm not prepared to say that I have improved the design, but I will say my WOs sound much better than before I tweaked them. I will also point out that my next pair will be built as close as possible to the original design, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve in case I need them.

"If you build it they (ideas and friends) will come" It's getting them to GO that's the trick.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 08/18/05 at 14:50:07

[quote author=j_rock777  link=1121529118/15#15 date=1123628354]any thoughts people? [/quote]

Build it!

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 08/18/05 at 16:49:01

Dirtdawg  "If you build it they (ideas and friends) will come" It's getting them to GO that's the trick.

So true

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 08/18/05 at 19:58:26

Quote:
Power to the Modders
Smiley

Gexter, you wrote: Quote:
I think the volume of the chamber after the sealed one is more flexible in size than the sealed, just a guess though.

And even though you state "just a guess though." I would like to ask why ?? Why do you think the sealed chamber is more inportant??  i do think something similar but I have no real reason, no "why". Its an important piece of info.

Dirtdawg wrote Quote:
When I built my first 2 WOs I stayed as close to the design as possible. Then after a few tests I altered the port area mainly because it was either flexing under load or too sharp of a turn and adding harmonics to a pure sine wave. At first I temporarally added a corner filler and got an improvement but I still had some resonance, so I reshaped the port area and doubled it. Then most of the ugliness was gone, but I had a different harmonic become more noticeable. (That's when it feels like your hair is turning gray or falling out in my case.)  
After much further goofing around (can't really call it testing this time) I discovered that the 2 sides of the pressure wave were actually out of phase to the point it was audible, usually meaning the horn flares too rapidly in some area. At that point I got out a microphone and some headphones and put the mic inside from the mouth at different positions to try and determine how to fix it. 2 or 4 mics and an o'scope would have helped, but I no longer enjoy such luxuries. After moving a 12" board around the second turn for a while I found the spot that was losing velocity and blocked it up. ......VOILA! No more harmonics in the signal!

And that is very intresting since I have a lot of distortion and harmonics in my large WO.
Do you have a picture inside your box or a drawing pointing out exactly what and where??!?!?  
I would be űberhappy for some answers!

Cheers Johannes. Smiley

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 08/18/05 at 22:21:55

It's a kind of one way thought Johannes and no concrete reason.

I feel that the sealed volume has to be at least big enough or maybe a little bigger, in order to get maximum output from the driver. I also think that sealed volume specs are the absolute minimum. ( this refers to a sub )
So a little smaller= bad a little bigger = not as bad.
When I have too little volume it makes a big differance in low end. I feel that I can manage the volume that may be too big in a full range or sub with the XO method. Plus with a basic box I have been able to shave it.
I can stuff a whole lot of dacron in the chamber in mine and it sounds better just less output.
But I have no specific reason and have not done enough testing to be absolutley sure.

Dirtdwag wrote:
"After much further goofing around (can't really call it testing this time) I discovered that the 2 sides of the pressure wave were actually out of phase to the point it was audible,"

I was not going to worry about a Cm or two while I construct my moddified horn. But now I am going to make sure it is as close as I can get it.
I am using the basic box that I built and adding a smooth horn in the very start of the horn and narrowing it. the spaces left between the new narrower horn and the old will be filled with expanding foam to resist flexing. I think this is better than nothing at all but an empty space.

Hair falling out Dirtdawg? you still have some? you have knowledge and hair? I am jealous

Honestly I am learning the science from you guys more each day  and learn why things may or may not work. I have learned so much over the last couple months I am at the point I can really make really big problems for myself.  :-* Wink

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 08/18/05 at 22:38:04

This is horrible, but it's the best I can do with Paint

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/6802/whplan22sg.png

There are actually 4 pieces that are different

1. The panel that makes the port is now 2 panels together with the sides rounded, but .75" is flat like the plan.

2. A small 30/60/90 triangle is added at the actual corner as a filler. it's also double thick, but most of it was cut away leaving 1" on the short side.

3. The big triangle extends from it's normal point at the top to 6" from center instead of 4".

4. An additional small piece (don't remember the angles) is added to the junction between the back of the box and the big triangle. It was 3.5" on the long side.

That's about as clear as I can get. Hope it helps.
Just remember that your box is different from mine and has different drivers, so my fix won't be exact for yours. The idea is to maintain an even expansion in the turns, where there is already a (pressure)phase shift, caused from folding/bending the horn. The air along the inner wall of a turn travels a shorter distance than the air along the outer wall. That's why "W" folded horns usually sound better than scoops.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 08/18/05 at 23:13:18

I like everything except #3.  Wouldn't the waves then rebound somewhat after hitting the wall on the other side, instead of being guided down its length.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 08/18/05 at 23:50:47

John,

It's really not that big of a change. All you need to do is to maintain velocity/pressure/expansion. Take the top off and look at one with a couple of short sticks in that area and you'll see the change is not huge. The difference in sound however, is almost like tuning your instrument or not tuning. Most of the harmonic stuff is gone.

I was using a sine wave generator between 20 and 40Hz to help find the problem areas. Forget trying to use music to tune a box. It's too easy for your mind to listen to the music and forgive what's not music.

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 08/19/05 at 00:15:00

first, whos John? hehe I am Jerick....

Next, it isn't that big of a change but you get a lip of expansion right at that point, I would rather sacrifice the decrease in expansion rate at that point and not have a point jutting into the wave path.

Perhaps incresing the height of the second triangle you added next to the bottom original triangle would alter the angles enough to keep the same rate of expansion around that turn?

The main question I have is wether or not it is better to have many small angled bends or one smooth curve like Circloman's WO?  I believe the curve would be better, but that is based on the designs of high frequency horns and the like.  Nobody really has designed a well raved about folded horn such as Steve's.  

I still think that for a 12 inch version, tilting the top so that the corner where the waves are inititally compressed is the same area as a ten inch version would prove to be a significant increase in output.  I may try using the wasted 10 inch version I have sitting in my garage and tilting it down to fit some 6 inchers....

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 08/19/05 at 01:33:26

It only makes sense that smoother would help the flow of air, but sound also should definetly travel better.

I also believe strongly in smmothing the surface of a horn is very important, which is why I often paint and/or clear coat the horn path.  Otherwise, you will get a slower flow of the air at the edgeds, because it is in contact with a higher level of friction.  so you get an overall slow-down of the air that does move.  Wether or not this is detremental or helpful in bass-horns is still beyond me, or wether it even occours...

Either way I like to smooth as much as possible to take out another variable many simulators cannot deal with....

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 08/19/05 at 09:48:58

Quote:
I think smooth is always better when you are tallking about moving air, or anything for that matter. I've heard for years that bass horns don't have to be all that smooth, because they don't actually flow that much air. After building 28 (and counting) W bins I always get better sound after smoothing hard turns as much as possible. Just as important as air flow is the fact that the inner side of a curve is shorter than the outer. So slowing the inner curve with a hard corner and smoothing the outer curve is the best answer. Of course with a "W" layout the flow turns twice so the concerns are lessened. WO on the other hand is a gradual curve so I think the smoother the better.

This makes a whole lot of sense to me.
My small WO did sound very clean and had very little higher harmonics, but my large WO that is very much like the original WO but with a little longer horn extending all the way out to the sides has a lot of higher harmonics and distortion.

I beginning to think that those curved parts are a lot  more important than I realised from the beginning.

My freind built a scaled down WO with two 6,5 inch drivers and even if it could play realy loud, it dident sound as good as my small one.

Its time for some serious thinking about how to build one with perfectly rounded and smoothe expansion of the horn. No sharp bends at all. The port should be fireing straight down into a slowly turning bend. It should not start with a 90 degree sharp bend.

One more thing I strongly belive in, is making the mouth as large as possible. Efficiency and dynamics are all about radiating surface. A WO with four 10 inch woofers and 24 inch internal height wil probably have something like 9 db higher efficiency than a normal WO, mostly due to a larger radiating surface and higher acoustic radiating impedance, loading the drivers a lot better thereby lowering the travel and the distortion for any given spl. And increasing the powerhandling a lot.

Quote:
This is horrible, but it's the best I can do with Paint

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/6802/whplan22sg.png

There are actually 4 pieces that are different

1. The panel that makes the port is now 2 panels together with the sides rounded, but .75" is flat like the plan.

2. A small 30/60/90 triangle is added at the actual corner as a filler. it's also double thick, but most of it was cut away leaving 1" on the short side.

3. The big triangle extends from it's normal point at the top to 6" from center instead of 4".

4. An additional small piece (don't remember the angles) is added to the junction between the back of the box and the big triangle. It was 3.5" on the long side.

That's about as clear as I can get. Hope it helps.
Just remember that your box is different from mine and has different drivers, so my fix won't be exact for yours. The idea is to maintain an even expansion in the turns, where there is already a (pressure)phase shift, caused from folding/bending the horn. The air along the inner wall of a turn travels a shorter distance than the air along the outer wall. That's why "W" folded horns usually sound better than scoops.

Thanks Dirtdawg!!!  Thats clear to me now. Very intresting and usefull.
Now I have to redesigne my WO once again.......... Cry Cry Cry

Smiley Happy Johannes with a lot of new tricks up his sleeve! Smiley

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 08/19/05 at 09:51:15

Quote:
Honestly I am learning the science from you guys more each day  and learn why things may or may not work. I have learned so much over the last couple months I am at the point I can really make really big problems for myself.

Me too! Thanks all you guys out there. You are doing a great job!

Smiley Johannes Smiley

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #30 - 08/20/05 at 00:51:50

What about a straight WO. If one only wants to use it at home it doesnt have to be 36 x 36 x 13,5 inches, since it doesnt have to fit in a car. It could be straightend out and become 30 x 50 x 13,5 inch where the drivers are at the bottom and the mouth at the oposite side. Sure it will be ineffective use of the internal volume but to me thats less inportand than the SQ.
It would be nice to not have those turns and bends and angles.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

IP Logged
J_Rock
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 08/20/05 at 01:12:03

can you really build straight horns? DOn't they need to have an increasing rate of expansion?

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 08/20/05 at 01:27:07

Quote:
can you really build straight horns? DOn't they need to have an increasing rate of expansion?

Of course the horn must have an increasing rate of expansion but there doesnt have to be any bends on it.
Straight as in not queer...... not bent I mean.
Just a long gradualy expanding tunnel going from the compression chamber in a straight line towards the mouth.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 08/20/05 at 01:51:02

Straight horn? I'll bet it works pretty well.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 08/20/05 at 02:09:39

[quote author=Circlomanen  link=1121529118/30#36 date=1124497627]

Straight as in not queer...... not bent I mean.
. [/quote]

Is that a joke? ???  because I am laughing  :)
And if it is not, Whoops!  :-/how terrible of me

Does not the bends help eliminate the High freq content that may be there?
Of course less than 45 degrees would be nice

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 08/20/05 at 03:31:09

Hey gexter,

You're right about hi freqs in a  SHARP bend - they "stumble over themselves and get lost".

Look closely again at the Imp SO pic.
The first 2 turns are right angles with no expansion. I believe that acts as a low pass filter of sorts.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 08/20/05 at 04:07:02

Sorry  DirtDawg I must be blind!
All I see is all horn starting at the bottom of the K slot. I think the filter is in the behavour of the driver in relation to the K slot and and its interaction of the front wave out  and into the horn
( the sum of the unique air flow)

If you smoothed everything out in the WO and it was a hard reflective surface you lose the simplicity and some of the flexibility in the design, In the bass version anyway.

You would require damping in the Chamber that loads the horn to take care of some of the nasty sounds before you load it into the hard smooth reflective horn.

just a thought and again just a feeling

Feel free to call me nuts everyone else does!
Thats why my wife runs the people side of our home based business! and I just do my regular job.

PS you guys are cool!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Too bad Johannes thread disappeared there was a lot of inventive thought there.
I figure even the worst idea has the possiblility of some merit.
Hows that for poltical double speak! Grin

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 08/20/05 at 16:47:10

Quote:
Straight horn? I'll bet it works pretty well.

WHOOOOOOOAAAA!!!! Now I have to take a long and realy cold shower!!! Smiley Thats a bit much just upp front like that. Hey Dirtdawg, you should  post a warning in advance before you post something like that. Thats definitly tripple X rated. Smiley

Quote:
Is that a joke? Huh  because I am laughing  Smiley
And if it is not, Whoops!  Undecidedhow terrible of me

Yes Gex, thats was a  joke. I hope no one got offended. Humour is quit diffrent in diffrent parts of the world.

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 08/20/05 at 16:54:19

Quote:
Does not the bends help eliminate the High freq content that may be there?
Of course less than 45 degrees would be nice

Since the WO is part bandpass box it should not be any hugh problem. The WO already has a quite wide frequency responce, being a BP, and I think the smooth straight version should be a lot more smooth sounding in the highbass and midrange.
Thats my guess.

Quote:
If you smoothed everything out in the WO and it was a hard reflective surface you lose the simplicity and some of the flexibility in the design, In the bass version anyway.

Flexibility??

SmileyJohannes Smiley

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 08/20/05 at 17:59:50

[quote author=DirtDawg  link=1121529118/30#39 date=1124505069]

Look closely again at the Imp SO pic.
The first 2 turns are right angles with no expansion. I believe that acts as a low pass filter of sorts.
[/quote]

gexter,
What I'm talking about here is only maybe 4 or 5 inches of non-expansion, but it has a right angle in that distance and it should stop a lot of HF content. Of course with a Sub Only version the content you might want to minimize is in the 80Hz to 200Hz range. This probably won't help with that range, but maybe you could run this box parellel with a full range speaker without a complicated crossover to waste power. "Still Rainin', Still Dreamin' " >>> Hendrix

I feel like I'm in the wrong forum.........

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 08/20/05 at 18:11:09

[quote author=Circlomanen  link=1121529118/30#41 date=1124552830]

Hey Dirtdawg, you should  post a warning in advance before you post something like that. Thats definitly tripple X rated. Smiley

[/quote]

Hey Circlomanen,

You are warned! Almost every time I stick my head in these Decware forums I get "excited" about something. Lately I've needed several sawdust bathes. Skip the cold shower.

P.S. I wasn't the first to post that titillating image.

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #41 - 08/20/05 at 19:51:14

Johannes -  Remember that I said I have trouble getting some ideas across sometimes, mostly because I may have not put enough thought in them.
I intended simplicity because it is easy to build without curves and all the little things a few of us are doing to the design.
As far as flexibility I seem to have lost that thought.

Dirtdawg - thanks for the explaination.

I just completed my Circlomanen flare today. Now I have to fill the caverns with foam after the glue dries.
its one freaky complicated animal with all the little adaptations on top of the original 24 X 24 Mod.

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 08/21/05 at 07:44:01

This is what I had in mind when speaking of a straight WO. Smiley

Quote:
I just completed my Circlomanen flare today. Now I have to fill the caverns with foam after the glue dries.
its one freaky complicated animal with all the little adaptations on top of the original 24 X 24 Mod.

Pics??

"Circlomanen flare"! Smiley

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 08/21/05 at 23:06:04

rough edtion One

http://tinypic.com/awvvcj.jpg

rough 2 with the flare not completely done but you get the idea
http://tinypic.com/awvx1y.jpg
I have not the time to finish and try it yet with the partial "Circlomanen Flare"

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 08/22/05 at 04:45:13

Nice! I Think that should make a lot of difference. You might want to narrow down the throat a bit. 20-22 mm worked very good for me. I think the way the cable crosses the throat area can disturbe the airflow and create turbulense.

Seeing forward to some listening impressions.

Johannes.

IP Logged
Braggi
Ex Member

Reply #45 - 08/22/05 at 05:22:23

Yes, the "Circlomanen Flare." Face it Johannes, you've been immortalized.

I'm also looking forward to a review of the current build. You gents might be onto something.

DIY experimenters (especially those who share) be blessed!

IP Logged
Braggi
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 08/03/06 at 05:33:55

So Gexter, whatever happened to this build? Did you start another thread about it and I snoozed it?

IP Logged
gexter
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 08/03/06 at 06:04:09

Well it did get built and it was a WO with 5 1/4 that was my version anyway.

another scaled WO w/ 2- 5 1/4 car woofers

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Wicked;action=display;num=11...

I threw it out a couple weeks ago and figured my little 6" WO32 would be better in the trailer. I was wrong Cry
the WO32 has real subs in it and its smoother and a little lower but has no punch and does not even close to rattling the trailer.

I necked it down and used some stuffing in its last days and it was not as loud but nicer. Kinda wish I never threw it out.
thanks for reminding me.

but it was uuuuuuuugly

IP Logged
Michael E
Ex Member

Reply #48 - 08/11/06 at 13:52:12

I wouldnt expect any foldedbasshorn to reproduce anything above 120hz. 100% of posts ive seen say that vocals sound 'funny'

Why not make HALF a WO,without any bends in it,to troubleshoot and fiddle around with it adjusting throat area etc.

Circlomanen :
two links on my site for you.

http://www.geocities.com/xobt/basshorns/basshorns.htm

Quote:
'“This simulator system needed to produce 132 dB from 5 kHz, down to 3 HZ, outdoors, 2 meters from the wall of an old house next to the air base outside Atlanta. This output required the equivalent displacement of a piston 12 feet wide and 8 feet high, moving 18inches peak to peak at 3 Hz.”'

http://www.geocities.com/xobt/flow_mod/3hz.htm

??? Smiley

IP Logged
Circlomanen
Ex Member

Reply #49 - 08/16/06 at 19:23:33

Thank you for wonderful links! They make me want to build some realy large horns.
Im helping a friend build a 36 x 36 inch WO. We are using 1 inch MDF. Its quite heavy!!! Smiley This will be the first time I hear a "normal" WO!
Pics are probably coming up later this week.
We use two GAS silver 10 inch speakers, and a 100 watt class D plate-amp.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print