Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/26/24 at 19:47:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dream or end all system (Read 5986 times)
instinct2
Verified Member

Dream or end all system
11/06/19 at 02:41:43

Hello everyone, been lurking for sometime and just keep reading and reading trying to learn.   I’m stepping to audiophile world with purchasing a Vinyl Nirvana fully restored Thorens TD-125 with a Ortofon 2M black cartridge.  This is my dream table, but now stuck of what should be next in my blank slate.  Have a 4 season sunroom (12x12) that the wife has given me the okay to become a music room.  Going add some curtains to absorb the windows, but it should be a great space.

Anyways, would love see what your dream vinyl setup would be?  I see all the pieces everyone has listed, but many don’t make sense of what is going into what.  Assuming many are second or third systems.

SE84UFO2.1 25th lvl2
ZRock2 25th lvl2
ZP3 25th lvl2 (ordered)
CPS3 25th lvl3 (ordered)
Turntable (Looking at Rega P6/P8 w/Hana ML)
Speakers - DM947
Cables - DSR3S’s
DAC/Streamer - Wiim Pro Plus
Conditioner - Audioquest Niagara 1200
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Dream or end all system
Reply #1 - 11/06/19 at 02:58:22

The 2M Black is a great sounding cartridge, so we'll start there and see how far we get before we handicap it.  Get yourself a ZP3 phono stage, one of our amplifiers, and a suitable pair of speakers for the room.  Some good choices would be Randy's Betsy Open Baffle speakers, or a pair of stand mounted DM945's, or a pair or ERRx radial speakers.  All of these can be driven by our 2 watt amplifiers to room filling volumes in a small space like that.  Also, the amplifier will not have to be turned up loud to sound good, it will be full and rich at low volumes with tons of intoxicating 3-dimensional space.  The drapes are a must.  Get thicker ones and depending on what you hear in the room with the speakers you choose, we can then fine tune the space with some room treatment items placed in the correct locations.

One thing besides not having to turn it up to get it to bloom, is that you can create a near-field apex with the speakers and they will actually sound far away.  This is not the norm with regular hi-fi gear.  This is the norm with Decware gear.  From that point on, we can clean up any weak links since the final fidelity can never rise past the weakest link in the chain.  Then it's time to get in your spaceship and explore music.  Get yourself a USB DAC and stream TIDAL or QOBUZ to your amplifier when your not listening to vinyl.

Hope that helps.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
instinct2
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 11/06/19 at 03:19:10

Thanks for the help Steve! I’ve thought about calling in, but wanted to keep learning before I did that.  My next questions would be that everyone seems to send their gear back in for the 25th anniversary overhauling, do you recommend that at the start for each component?  Been drawn to the ufo25 and the dna2’s after reading almost every forum post on that system, with the ability to eventually mono block them.  Is my space to small for that or what would your recommendation be?  I’d have to buy pieces as funds were available.  I’d be better starting with amplifier to speakers to preamp correct?

SE84UFO2.1 25th lvl2
ZRock2 25th lvl2
ZP3 25th lvl2 (ordered)
CPS3 25th lvl3 (ordered)
Speakers - DM947
Cables - DSR3S’s
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 11/06/19 at 04:48:06

The way you start is not such a big deal.  If it's going to be a process then approaching it from the weakest link in the chain will bring the most pleasure for the dollar in the shortest amount of time.  The weakest link in the majority of systems is actually the amplifier.  Case in point...  Once I got to listen to a 20,000.00 pair of speakers on a 7500.00 solid state amp.  Both very well respected names.  It got loud, was tight, and clean.  That's about all I could say for it.  Then a week later I was in my own garage, and listening to a 5 inch paper boom box speaker rated at 3 watts that was hot glued into a paint can full of dried up flooring adhesive stuck to the insides.  It was driven by a Zen amp in mono and within minutes the piano piece that I happened to play brought me to tears.  I could have listened to the prior system for the rest of my life and never been moved to tears by it.  The experience showed me that I would rather have a great amplifier with a complete joke for a speaker, then a 100,000.00 dollar speaker with a lesser amp.  It's the amplifier.  So start there.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/06/19 at 15:40:10

I can't really add anything to what Steve will tell you but I too run a vinyl front end.  I've gone the route of hi end MC carts (Jubilee -- basically the Cadenza Black) and such but my biggest, "holy shit" moment was going to the Big Betsy speaker.  Look hard at you speaker choices when you get to that point.  One of Steve's and Randy's offerings might be the ticket.  Between the amp and those I think you'll get a bigger multiplying factor as compared to other "upgrades."

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
instinct2
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 11/06/19 at 20:32:05

Any thoughts on the best amp for my space (12x12 - ceiling does go to about 14ft)?  I don't foresee playing extremely loud in that space.  Why I was leaning towards the se84ufo25.  However, I could see us buying a different house some day and wonder if Torii Mk4 w/25 or ZMA would be better in a large basement where I might play loud occassionaly... or maybe just getting a second se84ufo25 would be the way to go... this is the hardest part of not knowing which way to go with amount of $ being spent.  Don't want to mess it up Wink  lol!

Also, what are the exact options one should select for the 25yr mods?  I see multiple mods, but they don't say 25.  Is it Poly pass or beeswax or copperfoil?  or is there a sheet anywhere that lists what should exactly be selected?   I've seen the price one.

SE84UFO2.1 25th lvl2
ZRock2 25th lvl2
ZP3 25th lvl2 (ordered)
CPS3 25th lvl3 (ordered)
Speakers - DM947
Cables - DSR3S’s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 11/06/19 at 21:09:24

I would suggest you get the UFO25. And you don't have to worry about selecting mods for that, they're built right in. I have a Monoblock version, and it startles me how loud these get, and also how wonderful they sound at moderate volumes. If you were get the DNA2 speakers for example I'm sure you could fill a future basement, and until then have immersive and involving sound in your dedicated space.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/06/19 at 21:59:29

Instinct,
I can only speak to my system which has all the mods on each piece completed and broken in. My room is pretty large as to cubic feet and my Torri Mk IV has no problem whatsoever even when I’m really pushing it. You’ve gotten some great advice from some very knowledgeable people so far, keep at, take in some more of the advice here and when you get closer, give Steve a call, the right answer will come to you eventually. When I got to that point in time I had a great talk with Steve and then put in my order on the spot. Whatever choice you make, it’s DecWare...you’ll be happy!
Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/06/19 at 23:59:07

I have the tricked out ZMA and with 100 dB speakers (huge space) I can finally get it as loud as I want.  Even if I don't max things out often, I like having the possibility.  I don't know if you should be buying for the future but the ZMA would be great insurance.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
instinct2
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 11/07/19 at 00:45:09

You guys are awesome!  I’ve been on other forums where newbies just get ridiculed for asking questions.  Thanks for the help!  Love reading what everyone else is using.  I know nothing is a bad choice Wink. But, it helps to see the lineups.  

Any clarification on the 25th mods and what is what, would be appreciated.  Or what seems to be the most preferred mods.  I know I read somewhere that highest copper foil caps is not necessary, but I’m unsure if that was true.  Read to many forums at this point and getting things mixed up, lol.

Lon, I’ve read lot of your posts... you’re the one that keeps making me think the ufo25 is the right choice.

SE84UFO2.1 25th lvl2
ZRock2 25th lvl2
ZP3 25th lvl2 (ordered)
CPS3 25th lvl3 (ordered)
Speakers - DM947
Cables - DSR3S’s
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 11/07/19 at 01:44:16

Re: the mods: I'm no help because on two preamps, one ZROCK2, a Taboo Mk IV and the SE84UFO3 Monoblocks I've always gone the copper foil Jupiter caps and the full mods including tube rectification. This is what Steve has as the "pinnacle" and I can see why--the only drawback to this is that everything is revealed, the good and the bad, and if you don't just listen to excellent recordings you can encounter some unpleasantries.

The rule of the power by pass mods is: you match the type of caps you have. So if you have the standard (GE I think) poly caps you use the poly cap bypass mod, if you go with Jupiter caps you get those in bypass. I'm less certain that the tube regulation mod is necessary but I have it in the ZROCK2 and the CSP2+ I had modified and have to say that they sound fantastic and I am sure that plays a part!

Really, once my Monoblocks broke in (and they have possibly about 25 to 50 percent more output due to their design) I knew that I would not be wanting another amp and didn't miss my Toriis--I would just get more efficient speakers should I need more power for a different space (which is unlikely to occur). And my 92.5 db HR-1s fill a big room with these amps with incredible sound.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 11/07/19 at 04:02:55

My view is that how loud you play has more dependence on speaker efficiency than on amplifier power.
We are told that each doubling of power adds 3 dB of loudness, and 10 dB equals a doubling of apparent loudness.  So if I mathed it rightly, 16 Watts can play a little under twice as loud as 2 Watts.
Not that it is particularly easy for me to say how much loudness increase heard is in fact twice the previous amount. Still, I hope that helps.

instinct2 wrote:  "I’ve been on other forums where newbies just get ridiculed for asking questions."  
I pray for them, and send them light.

Brian

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print