Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/27/24 at 04:49:52 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
December CDApS Meeting (Read 4054 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

December CDApS Meeting
12/10/18 at 14:08:09

Right now, the meeting is tentatively scheduled for December 16th at my house at 1:00PM.  Sorry for the short notice but that's the best date we've been able to come up with so far.

Our agenda will include Bad Wolf's anniversary amp, my new baffles and Raven's modified ZMA.  If we have time and he sorts out his volume issue, we'll also listen to the latest firmware update on Raven's Direct Stream DAC.  Given our past history, this is a packed agenda.

Over the weekend, Raven and I could not resist so we jumped in our cars and went to BadWolf's house for a quick session with his new 25th anniversary amp.  He just got it last week.

Of course it was not broken in and BW was having an issue with it biasing too high.  Turns out it was his preferred 4U4GB rectifier.  We used a type 80 that Raven brought along and all was good.

Also Raven brought  a grocery bag of tubes with him (I'm kidding but it was enough to fill a small grocery bag).  We tried BW EL84s and Ravens Svetlana SV83s.  I think we mostly used an OC3 105 for the input regulator.  I can't recall the input tube.

Anyway, we started out listening to BW's bedroom system.  MacBook Air, Gunier Miltibit DAC, Zibit, 25th Amp, El Caminos.  Source was Tidal.  BW has a large bedroom, but has a nearfield setup for intimate listening.  The 25th easily filled the room though.  I wanted to just flop on the bed and crank it up, but I restrained myself.

The amp was extremely smooth and musical.  My biggest takeaway was the lack of that leading edge grain on things like female vocals.  Very liquid.  I have always liked the El Caminos and they did not disappoint, even as a nearfield speaker.

We then took the 25th to his living room setup with a Linux based PC, a Bifrost Multibit, and BW's DIY Tang Band 1808s in open baffles and some separate woofer OB baffles and dual subs.

They have made some changes to their living room which help the sonics.  Heavy curtains on the windows, some diffusion and absorption. A tip for you younger Decware fans - if your significant other builds QRD diffusers for you, they are a keeper.

We had some technical difficulties but after sorting it out, settled in to listening to some familiar tunes.  As the 25th warmed up, the sound got bigger and better.  

Again, this is a new amp with fairly new tubes so its hard to give it a fair review, but it was liquid and engaging.  I was plied with a couple of microbrews with alcohol content above 5%, but I remember getting same feeling as I do with the OTL.  That is my high bar right now.

I cannot wait to hear this amp in my room.  I brought my new baffles/speakers but we spent 3 hours listening to the 25th and didn't bother to do much else other than the shift to the living room.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
BadWolf
Seasoned Member

Re: December CDApS Meeting
Reply #1 - 12/10/18 at 16:11:13

We started with the 0D3 input regulator and then quickly moved to the 0C3 which we all preferred. A Phillips 7DJ8 input tube was used.

I think the EL84s I have were drawing too much current because they have a high bias point to be used in a guitar amp, although the NOS 5U4GBs seem unusable with all the EL84 variations we have as they all draw too much current with those. Luckily after the meet was over I was able to find a Valve Art 274B and paired with Lonely Raven’s SV83s I’m reading 30 mA on both meters. Still a bit on the high end but usable, unlike the 40 mA plus I was getting with my rectifiers and power tubes.

I have some EL84s with lower bias points on order. Hopefully those will be in the 20 mA to 30 mA window, and may even be useable with the rectifiers I have.  

I’d like to hear about any other 25th Anniversary Amp owner’s experiences with current draw and tube types, particularly rectifiers.

Zen OTL, SE84UFO25, Mini Torii II and III, “El Camino” MTM speakers, Schiit Gungnir Multibit, DIY "Zbit", dedicated circuits.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 12/10/18 at 17:05:39

(Oops, wrong thread)

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 12/13/18 at 18:31:03

I may have been a bit focused on how beautiful the OTL amp is in these photos. LOL

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/17/18 at 20:35:08

Well another good session on Sunday.  El Presidente called the meeting to order about 1:15.  Standing room only in my listening room and a full agenda.

We started out with my Racheal and new OBs baffles.  My system sounds the best it ever has with these new ClarityCap CSAs on the AMT and the new baffle shape.  I got some great feedback on speaker wires and also a bypass cap experiment I was running.

Also, I recently transitioned from twin crown amp powered Augies for the low end to passive Alpha 15As.  I think I picked up some speed.  

But with the crown amps free, I switched away form the plate amp powering a single sub to a single crown amp powering two subs.

The guys helped me test for whether I was getting below 30Hz out of the subs.  I was but I didn't have the power to make it that audible.  After they left I put in the second crown and ran them bridged into their respective subs.  That worked and now I have more of that low octave.

Point is that having people over to critique your system really helps you make fast progress on improving your sound.

After laying down a baseline system, we switched to Aaron's 25th.  It sounded great, but I wasn't blown away.  What we discovered (Aaron already knew) that the 25th needs some time to warm up.  All tube amps seem to need time, but especially the 25th.   Once it began warming up, it really began to shine.

The immediate observation is that this amp is very loud for its 2.3 watts.  More than I need in my 16X12 listening room.  The lack of grain was also there from the start.

But as the amp warmed up, things started popping out that I hadn't heard in tracks.

The killer combo of the afternoon was the 25th paired with Eric's direct stream DAC with the latest firmware update.  Great details and liquidity.

That combo gave me the "OTL experience" where I kind of melt into the chair and can listen for hours.

We also tried my DIY Belden ICs compared to my Decware Silvers.  The guys opted for the Silvers.  I will continue to do tests.

We put in Eric's modded ZMA and it sounded great, but wasn't giving us what the 25th did.

I did not hear everything I heard in the 25th at Zenfest.  I think Aaron said he had about 100 hours on it so it could be a seasoning thing.  But more likely, its something in my chain.  I'll be trying to figure that out.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #5 - 12/18/18 at 05:21:09

Pal,
Great update on the CDApS meeting.  Sounds like you guys had a great time geeking out together.  Wish I was in proximity.  

You bring up a very interesting point about accelerating the "R&D" process by involving multiples sets of minds and ears.  We all have our strengths and weaknesses when it comes to, well... anything.  This collectively approach not only makes it more fun, but creates a system of checks and balances that you wouldn't otherwise get rolling solo.  Bravo!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/18/18 at 14:47:46

Agreed, J of A! They should consider themselves equally fortunate to live close enough together to have these "listening fests"! I am wanting to share my good fortune in having my 25th Anniversary ZEN and DNA2 speakers and know absolutely no one in near proximity to share with. Sad.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 12/19/18 at 04:03:44

You can tell it was a great meet, because I completely forgot to take photos after the very first listen. LOL

I'll do better next time.

These photos don't do Tom's room justice by the way. His fleet of diffusers are integral to the great sound, and being able to discern minute differences.

To help get some objective information on bass notes the Zen amp, Alpha subs, and/or sealed subwoofers were hitting, I grabbed an App on my Galaxy S9+. I watched where the notes were hitting, were hitting strong, and where they floundered a bit. I forgot the App was running when I got into my FJ Cruiser, and apparently my exhaust note is almost 51Hz.   Smiley

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print