Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Re: King of the Mountain
Reply #2 - 05/24/23 at 21:09:49

Yes, it is my design.  I just had a bigger one made because I have a new amp coming that is 3 chasses and will fill the entire top shelf.  Weighs 180 lbs.   I am building external crossovers that will fill the middle shelf outside positions.  

The rack is fabbed of welded heavy wall 1" square tubing with a piece of 1/4" x 1/4" steel welded to the inside bottom of each horizontal to support the cross boards which I make myself on my table saw and router table, sand and stain black.

The rack is fabbed by an offroad truck shop near me and is rock solid.  I had a smaller one that I used for 20 years that is approximately the same size...haven't figured out what to do with it yet.

Jerry

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/31/23 at 13:50:47

I've posted before that I replace all the fuses in my amps with slugs and it helps the sound tremendously.  Only do this if either a) you feel confident you can replace failed components if a tube shorts and/or b) you can afford a new amp if necessary.  Note Steve says it voids the warranty (of course) but I've never made a warranty claim at at 66 I'm probably not going to start.  

So this amp has 3 fuses on the bottom of the rectifier.  I interpreted that as 1 mains fuse and 2 fuses in the rectifier outputs.  Last night I figured out that it also has a fuse in the input connector just like all the other amps.  I replaced that fuse (for a total of 4) and WOW it is realy sounding huge.   I would love to hang a curtain in front of it and let people guess what amp it is and how many WPC.

I also put a new set of tubes in it.  This has to be the cheapest amp on the market to retube.  Input tube $12 NOS 1980 ebay.   Power tubes I went with the Svetlana SV83s for $44 at viva.  The rectifier is where I splurged.  I have a big preference for the Mullard or Matsushita GZ34.  I put in an old RCA that is a rebranded Matsushita that I picked up for $100 and will probably last forever.  

This amp is causing a decrease in my productivity around the house as I can't stop listening.  I have several $5k amps I need to sell.

Jerry

UFO_tubes_small.jpg

Grimm MU1 Streamer
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #4 - 05/31/23 at 15:07:18

Quote:
Posted by: Carlsbad      Posted on: Today at 05:50:47

...This amp is causing a decrease in my productivity around the house as I can't stop listening.

Yes, amazing sound indeed, regardless of cost. Does your amp have the anniversary mods? If not, getting those added will take the sound up another level. And if you think one is good you should try two, configured as balanced mono blocks .

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/01/23 at 21:06:08

CAJames,
Mine has a sticker on the bottom that says "20th Anniversary Mods" which I think is  Jupiter caps in the signal path.  I don't think I have the upgraded caps in the power supply.  I think the power supply caps are the black ones in the top left of the photo.

UFO_internals_small_001.jpg

Grimm MU1 Streamer
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 06/01/23 at 21:18:29

I think you are right about both the 20th mods and the power supply caps. Getting the 25th Anniversary mods will make a significant difference for the better. I've done that to an amp and a pre-amp and they were transformed.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print