Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 15:41:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best Rectifier Upgrade for UFO (Read 3245 times)
HiFi Bri

Best Rectifier Upgrade for UFO
05/15/23 at 23:04:33

I've read through these forums trying to get a sense of what might be the best recitifier upgrade for my SE84UFO, but could use some help. I currently have the stock 5U4G from Decware.

Am I correct that an American NOS 5U4WG would be my best bet?

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Best Rectifier Upgrade for UFO
Reply #1 - 05/16/23 at 00:14:48

I think "best" is a true personal choice, and will be dependent on other components in the system and other tubes in the component.

My personal favorite in my SE84UFO3 Monoblocks is the Sophia Electric Aqua 274B, and I also really like the RCA 5V4G rectifiers. I would try a compatible NOS rectifier to see how that sounds. They are generally very reliable and durable and will serve well as a backup tube even if they do not become your main rectifier in the UFO.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #2 - 05/16/23 at 00:25:58

Thank you, Lon! And yes, when I said "best", I meant "a few suggestions of solid choices." I'll check out the ones you mentioned!

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/16/23 at 01:42:22

Lon and I share the love for the same rectifier. Looks like a million bucks too.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/16/23 at 01:58:20

And I have never quite fallen for the Sophia 274B, though I find it a quite respectable tube that has lots of good going for it... and when I first put it in, always like it. Then I find that intellectually it has most of what I am after, but it just is not quite as natural sounding in my system as some others... each time it ends up sounding a little too designed, just a little contrived, so it gets tricky... A great tube, but compared to what, and what does our system/room need. And of course, this is me... in my very resolving system/room.

I think you will find rectifiers a powerful sonic tuning tool, those Lon mentioned each having characteristic sonic tendencies. And the same with all the other compatible tubes, each type has sonic tendencies, and not just based on electronic specs. The companies who made them create variations by nature... different materials, designs, vintage, etc, even though the tubes may have the same or similar specs, they typically will sound different based on these variations.

And really, rectifiers are the beginning of our tube sound, so with resolving and transparent amps, their qualities and sonic characters notably influence how the other tubes sound. A clear and fast rectifier that is neutral will make the whole sound different than a similarly clear one weighted toward bass and slower. And these characteristics will be very similar with a given tube even though one amp's sonic signature is different from another. But then all the rest matters too, so in your system/room, you have a particular sound based on room and how all your gear works together, giving your system/room a sonic signature. And I have a different system/room and overall signature. So what we want/need to make it all better within our different rooms and tastes will matter right. And it may be different in each of our setups. But a given rectifier will still influence both my Torii and your UFO similarly.

Maybe more than you want, and I personally am not in full agreement with all of this, but the link below is a nice, fairly comprehensive overview of a lot of different tubes, and it can be helpful in finding favorites for a given setting and set of preferences. Especially if you get a feel for how a tube in this overview works for you... then these comparative opinions can help more.

To me a challenge is what I think is a common audio mistake: "this is the best," or whatever, assumes all systems and rooms and tastes are the same as the person saying "this is the best." And not that the tube is not a great tube to a lot of folks historically, some tubes are really loved by more people... but not for all. So you may respect, but not love those popular tubes in your setting, or they may fit beautifully and be lovable.

This is why I look for descriptions of sound qualities, and find if I don't know their preferences pretty well, a person saying one or another is "the best" does not do me much good... like compared to what, and why sonically is it "best." It is just hard to get much real information as to how it will work in our setup without sonic tendency explanation. A long way of agreeing with what Lon said, the "best" is a personal choice.

For me it comes down to... what are the characteristic sonic qualities of the rectifier you have, and how would you like to improve your sound in your setting... Do you want more spaciousness or less; more or less speed and punch; more very fine detail and space or more signal consolidation; more leaning toward bass in the balance and a darker overall feel, or less bass and less bass leaking into the mids giving a less dark/more open sound, etc, etc. A rectifier can influence all of this and more.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-rectifier-re...

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #5 - 05/16/23 at 07:42:11

Like Will and Lon indicated….choosing a rectifier depends on a lot of variables so what works well for one members system may not be ideal for another.  When I first got my Torii I used the stock Decware rectifier for a few months until I could acquire a NOS rectifier.  Since I had no previous comparisons of my own….I had the guidance of Will who gave me alot of great information.  I was always fond of the Raytheon brand.   I eventually sought out a really good matched pair of their 1950’s rectifiers and it worked well in my system.  It tightened up the bass ( which is what I was looking to do), and gave me a more lively sound.  

I now run a Raytheon 5Z3 (4 Pin) in one of my two UFO’s that I’m eventually going to run in a monoblock setup, and liked what it did to the sound over the stock Decware rectifier.   It didn’t tighten up the bass as much in comparison to the impact it had in my Torii, but we are talking about 2 different amps.  **** Note:  I was not looking to tighten up the bass in the UFO…just making an indication to give you a comparison of the impact difference in both amps.

Eventually I will seek out a matched pair of rectifiers for my two UFO amps….BUT my 2nd UFO will be going back to Decware in the upcoming weeks for a full upgrade to have the 2 amps match.  After that happens I will then start to do more critical listening to see where I want the sound to go with the monoblocks.   Will I go with Raytheon’s….not necessarily.  But I do like 5Z3’s due to their more affordable price in comparison to their electrical equivalent 5U4G’s….. so I will see what’s available when that day comes.

Hop this helps

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #6 - 05/16/23 at 16:32:59

Thanks for the feedback! I went ahead and purchased a pair of Russian NOS 53CS tubes for $40. I'll start there before spending higher amounts of money.

I'm definitely curious about the Aqua 274B and may check out the Raytheon 5Z3.

Thanks all!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/16/23 at 18:06:27

I am not familiar with 53CS tubes and can't find it in searches. Any pointers where to find the story on it.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #8 - 05/16/23 at 18:23:43

Will,

I used the link you provided to review rectifiers, and found it helpful -  a good review.  Thanks for the link!

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #9 - 05/16/23 at 18:49:34

Sorry...I meant Svetlana 5C3S/5U4G.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/16/23 at 19:18:26

Ah, thanks. I have a pair from I think '55 or '57. Please let us know how they work for you!

IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #11 - 05/16/23 at 19:24:52

Will do. I also picked up a RCA 5U4G from the 50's for $25. The person who created the 5U4G comparison in the link you sent spoke highly of it, for the price.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/16/23 at 19:32:19

Cool. That will be an interesting comparison that will likely show what I was talking about with tube variations... those two tubes pretty close to the same spec and shape style but different design approaches, makers and likely vintage.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #13 - 05/20/23 at 07:20:50

Reply  #5 edited:

It was brought to my attention that some clarifications should be made to my recent post above.  I originally tried to modify that post…but too much time had lapsed so I have to create this one.  So here it goes….

Paragraph #1 modification:  First off….. the 1950’s Raytheon Rectifier I was referring to that I used in my Torii was 5U4G -ST (coke bottle type).  They were recommended to me by the owner of the website nosvaccuumtubes.net.  I was looking to tighten up the bass in my Torii and he felt that the Raytheon 5U4G-St  tube would be a good fit.  

Paragraph #2 modification:  In my UFOs…. The 5Z3’s are also a coke bottle shape like the 5U4G-ST’s. Sonically I would say they are similar by comparison… just with a different pin out.  To be fair I have not tried the Raytheon 5Z3 in my Torii… nor have I tried the Raytheon 5U4G in my UFO. 

The stock Decware tube compliment that Steve offered  with the warranty transfer is a PSvane 5U4G. It’s a decent rectifier, but it would not be my top choice to keep in the amp long-term.  I like to use as a baseline when comparing the stock Decware rectifier to other NOS rectifiers.  

Also…In regards to my comment: 

"It didn’t tighten up the bass as much in comparison to the impact it had in my Torii, but we are talking about 2 different amps.  **** Note:  I was not looking to tighten up the bass in the UFO…just making an indication to give you a comparison of the impact difference in both amps."

After I read that statement I do realize now that it caused confusion.  To be clear we are talking about two different tubes…. A 5U4G (Torii ) and a 5Z3 (UFO).  The point I was trying to make was that I was intentionally trying to tighten up the bass in the Torii which is why I went with a Raytheon.  This was based on a short conversation I had with the owner of the website where I bought the tubes from (nosvaccuumtubes.net). 

When I acquired  my SE84C+ that I upgraded to to a UFO with all the mods… I noticed that out of the box with the stock Decware 5U4G PSvane rectifier, the bass seemed tighter to me.  I guess it has to do with the design of the amp. 

I then opted to switch out to a 5Z3 Rectifier based off of forum member CAJames recommendation who really likes them in his UFO’s.  I had acquired from him two slightly used 5Z3 to try… a Raytheon and a National Union.  I actually like them both…the National Union seems just a tad bit darker, so right now I favor the 5Z3 Raytheon in the UFO.

So I hope this post clarifies what I was trying to say in my earlier post.  If there are any questions… please feel  free to reply or send me a PM.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print