Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 18:10:41 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Want to add streaming capability to my system? (Read 3475 times)
David Wilcox
Verified Member

Want to add streaming capability to my system?
04/20/23 at 20:00:15

I'm relatively new to music streaming. I have SPOTIFY on my PC downstairs in my office with a headphone set-up and play thru the Samsung soundbox  in the living room.
What do I need to do to get streaming thru my Decware and vintage system upstairs.
I'm 73 years old and want to be able to control it from my listening chair using my android phone or a tablet.
I don't need all the bells and whistles but I don't want to shortchange my current system.

Thanks
 David W

108+TRUE+GRIT+WAY   IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Re: Want to add streaming capability to my system?
Reply #1 - 04/20/23 at 22:14:09

Well I’m 77 and just added a Cambridge CXNv2 to my system this week. It was a breeze to set up. I am playing music from my Tidal subscription. Currently listening to Palamino’s playlist from this years Axpona show. Sounds great to me. I bought a refurbished (by Cambridge) unit on eBay. Cosmeticly perfect and seems to be working flawlessly. One year warranty.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/20/23 at 23:26:48

Given your criteria, I wholeheartedly recommend a Bluesound Node. Hassle free setup, supports many streaming services and radio stations. Listen to music from the comfort of your listening chair using their rock solid app.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
ChrisC

Reply #3 - 04/21/23 at 01:55:49

I would second Showme's recommendation.  The CXN is a solid streamer.  I've had mine for ~2 years and its been great.  Mine has been modded by Modwright but the stock version is also very well reviewed; espesiallly at the price point (it can even function as a preamp).  Set up is simple and it has Spotify and Tidal built in.  I have a Tidal HiFi subscription and the sound quality is excellent.  Definately worth a look and the refurbished route is also worth a look.   I bought a refurbished CD transport from Cambridge and its worked flawlessly.  Lots of good options out there.

ChrisC

Smiley

CXC, CXN (MWI), ZROCK2, Aric Audio Unlimited, Rachael, Omega CAMs
  IP Logged
Yakatak
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/21/23 at 04:35:33

Well....I'm 79...if that's at all relevant, and I will even the score by recommending the Bluesound Node. What Kamran said, and it can be used with or without its built-in DAC. I do use a standalone DAC.  If you need a streamer with built-in DAC, then the Cambridge might be a better choice.

IP Logged
ChJKy (Chris)
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 04/21/23 at 10:54:25

The Cambridge Audio CXN(V2) has been recommended by many throughout this forum. It could be due to the trust given to Steve's ears by all of us that have bought tube amps, as he does use it himself in his set up.

I bought mine to see if I could find a streaming service I liked enough to start streaming. I tried them all and the device works great for streaming. It integrates amazingly well with Spotify as my daughter uses it when she visits me.

I have also used the USB B audio function with great results as well as a 2 TB WD passport hooked up via regular USB that allows me to access all my digital files with the phone app.

I haven't found anything wrong with it as it does everything well and does sound great.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/21/23 at 13:20:48

+1 on Modwright modified CXN V2. Enjoy the heck out on mine.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Joey

Reply #7 - 04/21/23 at 14:05:01

I use the blue sound node with an external dac. Not the quality of the Modwright Cambridge but the Bluesound app is very user friendly and almost bulletproof. If you can get Roon in the mix you'll never look back.

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/21/23 at 15:45:18

I don’t think the Modwright upgrade is still available. I don’t believe I would be willing to spend the $1,500 anyway.

IP Logged
Erich
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 04/21/23 at 19:29:34

You need to be able to input another RCA into your Decware somehow. How you’re set up now - we don’t know. But at the end of the day this is just like adding a CD player or a Cassette playback or a tuner or whatever. So… you need another RCA. Cool.

Cheap, cheap, cheap… you can get a Bluetooth adapter from Amazon for $20 and straight up Bluetooth to the above RCA. You’re on Spotify, which is lossy (but 95% of a lossless source ). It would work fine and NOBODY, but a golden eared audiophile will notice the difference.

Next step is the Bluesound Node or Cambridge streamers mentioned here. Ostensibly should have a better DAC and if you choose a lossless source, then it will sound better.

I just added a home brew ZBIT, so now I’m Cambridge —> ZBIT —> Torii, Jr - using the Cambridge as a preamp (variable output). I’m on Tidal, which A/B’s better than Spotify and the ZBIT made an incremental difference too.

Bottom line - you can solve this problem with a $20 bill and Prime delivery, then move up from there.

IP Logged
David Wilcox
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 04/22/23 at 14:49:29

Thanks for your suggestions. They will help me make some upgrade purchase decisions.

108+TRUE+GRIT+WAY   IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/23/23 at 19:02:55

David, I think it depends of your existing setup and the budget you plan to spend.
All the recommandations above are excellent but if you already have a DAC and want to minimize spending, buying a Streamer "only" could be the option, that was my case, I went with a IFI streamer.
Sadly they have some rubbish application but I use a third party app , "mconnect", and it works well, no internet radio nonetheless, but the streamer is excellent.
I stream from my NAS and from Qobuz, I could also use Spotify or Tidal or else if I had the subscriptions.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
CoryMest
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 05/11/23 at 09:18:06

Do they have a Bluetooth unit? Can't they connect with each other using Bluetooth?

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 05/11/23 at 10:12:11

If "they" refers to the CXNV2, then this is from the owners manual:

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #14 - 05/11/23 at 12:07:09

If you are looking for a no frills and cheap streamer, take a look at the Google Chromecast Audio.  They pull the stream via WiFi which you can setup through the Google Home App.  The output jack is a 3.5 mm audio out which doubles as an optical out.  All you would need to buy is a mini Toslink Audioquest adapter and can connect to your Dac via optical if you want.  

They are discontinued but can be purchased on eBay…

Positives….very affordable and the combo mini Toslink/3.5 mm audio out is versatile.  Compatible with the Google Chromecast topology.  All work with Spotify, Tidal, and Qobuz that you can connect to from your phone or tablet.

Negatives…the sound output is limited at 96/24 bit, so anything higher gets downscaled. I use them for my outdoor speakers, and in the bedrooms that go to my Bluetooth speakers.  This was my first streamer I used with an Audioquest Dragonfly red when I first started out on the cheap to save money.  I have it connected to my surround sound system if I don’t want to fire up my tube amp…and I use it as a backup connection to my tube amp.

So it really depends on your budget… can it compare to the Bluesound Node or a Cambridge Audio…..no.  But at like 4x the price…it just comes down to affordability.  

Here’s a link for the devices listed…

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325385838020?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&s...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/195673643476?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&s...

Hope this helps.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Celine Dion
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 05/16/23 at 10:17:25

Quote:
Given your criteria, I wholeheartedly recommend a Bluesound Node. Hassle free setup, supports many streaming services and radio stations. Listen to music from the comfort of your listening chair using their rock solid app.

The Bluesound Node offers high-quality audio playback and supports various streaming services and radio stations. While it provides additional features and functionality, it is designed to be user-friendly and straightforward, ensuring you can enjoy your music without any unnecessary complications.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print