Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 08:50:37 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SE84UFO2.1 Power Transformer Hot (Read 1062 times)
Mike W
Verified Member

SE84UFO2.1 Power Transformer Hot
04/16/23 at 00:47:15

Anyone know the operating temperature of UFO2.1 Power Transformer? I have (2) UFO2.1’s and with one amp the Power Transformer is cool/cold after hours of operation. On my other amp is is warm/hot. Same environment. The cooler transformer is an earlier SN and appears to have a different transformer without casing edges. May be same spec but different casing. Any thoughts appreciated.

IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Re: SE84UFO2.1 Power Transformer Hot
Reply #1 - 04/17/23 at 00:22:27

My 2.1 has always been very warm, received fall 22. Sorry do not have any other Decware amps to compare to. This is completely expected to me though.

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 04/17/23 at 13:53:55

My only thought is maybe the tubes on the older one are weak. You can try swapping the tubes on the two amps and see if that changes anything. Other than that my advice would be to email Steve if you suspect a problem.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 06/06/23 at 17:44:47

The power transformer in my relatively new UFO runs quite warm and the manual goes out of its way to say this is normal.

My ZMA power transformers run about the same temperature (probably the same transformer) and so I instrumented them and measured the temperature.  Generally in the 130 deg F range but on hot days and long sessions up to 150.  Still well below the design maximum for the transformer.

Now apparently the old one you have is a different transformer.  Some run warm, some run cool.  I definitely prefer the cool ones but that one probably isn't available any more.
Jerry

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Mike W
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 06/07/23 at 14:19:47

Great response and thanks. Shot some temperatures and both amps very consistent with temperature. I actually run whisper fans on mine to keep them cool and my airflow was not consistent. All good now. Thanks again!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print