Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 14:36:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recommendations for I2S cable (Read 2022 times)
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Recommendations for I2S cable
04/15/23 at 21:24:21

One of my more recent purchases is the Denafrips Iris DDC, to feed my Pontus DAC, which I have also upgraded the firmware. I have a reasonable but cheap HDMI cable connecting the two. I'm not sure how much the HDMI cable effects the sound but am exploring upgrading the cable.

For those of you with experience, how much does the HDMI cable effect the sound? I am interested in any HDMI cable recommendations that might be a positive addition in this connection. I appreciate any input.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Recommendations for I2S cable
Reply #1 - 04/16/23 at 00:12:03

I have experience with HDMI in audio between my transport and DAC as a vehicle in I2S format to send Redbook cd and DSD data in between the components. In the past the cable really did matter--and personal taste may dictate which one might be preferred by a user. I have settled on the PS Audio silver HDMI cables, long discontinued, but I bought enough used over the years to outfit all my systems where HDMI is used. My second favorite is the Van Den Hul HDMI cable. In the most recent of the DAC editions the input matters less and less; HDMI, USB, AES/EBU and Toslink all have very similar sound quality. But the quality of cable still seems to matter.

I find it matters for video and audio on DVR, TV and optical players as well. Worth experimenting.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 04/16/23 at 01:58:09

I'm using the DH Labs HDMI 2.1 cable between my Gaia and Terminator 2. It was a small upgrade from a cheap cable, but an upgrade none the less and the consensus is it is an excellent value. I've considered going to a "high end" HDMI but so far have resisted the temptation. I believe Alvin from Vinshine uses an AudioQuest Cinnamon cable FWIW. Alvin stresses making the cable as short as possible, mine is 0.5 meters.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/16/23 at 17:43:43

Guys, I appreciate the input. I checked out the DH Labs HDMI 2.1. Between the continuous copper crystal and being silver plated, I have just purchased the 0.5 meter cable.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
RuthOlson
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 04/18/23 at 11:28:54

I appreciate the information and advice you have shared. I will try to figure it out for more.

IP Logged
Amych1954
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 04/25/23 at 03:58:40

Useful information.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #6 - 04/25/23 at 08:14:33

Seems like we are on similar wavelengths on the HDMI cable. My DH Labs 2.1 arrived today. More exciting than that, the Gaia arrives on Friday. The HDMI cable goes to work between that and the Pontus II. I am waiting delivery of Steve's Silver Pill, maybe by end of spring. My hope is that these additions improve streaming,  my major source of music.

I just realized it's midnight.  Good night one and all.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/25/23 at 18:40:15

I've had a few days to listen to the DH Labs HDMI 2.1 and the one word I would use to describe the change from a generic HDMI cable is one of refinement. The first thing I noticed was how refined the highs became. The highs were easy on the ears and extended. The cymbals previously had body when struck but now includes more of the sheen. Little details lost in the mix are now much clearer and lack any noticeable edge. The highs by far surpass the best of any of my previous systems.

The refinement also translated to the other parts of the musical spectrum. Initially the lows were not as loud as before yet low level lows were more easily heard than before. Prior to this change there were moments when bass drums could sound a little boomy. Those moments have gone away as the lows seemed to be close to a perfect balance.

Voices had a more natural body and the soundstage extended deeper and wider than before.

Conceptually it sounds like many of the ones and zeros changed from a slight noise into clearer and more refined detail. Some noise was lost and replaced with body and more detail. The basic character of the sound was the same as before, only more refined and closer to the sound of the real thing. The sound of this HDMI cable is a clear and noticeable upgrade over the generic one. It was well worth the investment.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 04/25/23 at 18:44:32

Awesome! I hear very similar things with the best HDMI cables I have used. My favorites have all silver wire and are just another step up the ladder in clarity and soundstage. I even see visual improvement when using the best cables in between video components and TVs.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #9 - 04/27/23 at 02:05:33

I'm glad the DH Lab cable worked out for you. My digital front end was going through a lot of changes when I got mine and I can't remember exactly what it did for me. Mostly I remember being glad I bought it and thinking it was money well spent.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Beggermse
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 05/03/23 at 05:07:31

The theme is very impressive to me.

IP Logged
Pages: 1