Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 15:32:52 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
New DECWARE Folded Horn (Read 43716 times)
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: New DECWARE Folded Horn
Reply #100 - 06/06/23 at 14:41:36

Very intriguing. Going to visit Ed Pong this weekend. Going your way soon Steve.
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #101 - 06/06/23 at 14:54:16

Good morning, John. Going to Dr. Ed's. I am so jealous!!!

You are in for a real treat! Is he recording someone while you're there, or are you just going for a tour and listen?

Take lots of pictures. I'd love to see some.

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #102 - 06/08/23 at 09:56:45

Hi Geno,
You bet I will and post about the visit. Yes he has a concert on Sunday and we plan on attending that if we can clear our eyes of smoke!
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #103 - 06/10/23 at 03:31:39

Happy to report that things are still pretty blissful since moving these back that last four inches to touch the wall and adding a ZROCK2 as the preamp.

The ZROCK2 has a bypass switch and I've been enjoying it for several days so today I decided to use the bypass and hear the speakers with just the amplifier and magnetic crossover.  It was very satisfying to hear that the sound is good without the ZROCK2, I didn't miss it because I wasn't using it for any additional bass, just to bloom up the midrange. Without it, the sound is a touch tighter which is nice, albeit artificially accurate. With the ZROCK2 as the preamp everything sounds more fleshed out, more real, more there.  And it's not less tight.  It's just that there is more density and weight so the balance is better. 

The performance of these speakers is just incredible. The bass will wreck you. It really speaks to my muscle car experience that I can't let go of... one that started when I was 11.  In my muscle car there are no computers, no fuel injection, just a high compression V8 with more torque than you can stick to the road. The experience of driving it is all about dynamics. The contrast between just going along at any speed and sticking the throttle only the tiniest amount and having yourself smashed into the seat. The low gear and entire setup is designed to maximize this effect. It pushes the envelope to the point where fear starts to set in.

So using this analogy, when you listen to these horns the acceleration of the notes and the instantaneous punch in the bass that comes with it is basically the same experience as driving the car. You know you got something very rare that can just eat up most cars on the road and do it without a computer.  These Horns not only do it without a computer, but do it with only 2 watts and that's probably the best part.  You're thinking all these other losers are running 100's of watts into speakers that need it just to roll down the road.

There is very little separation between my car and my audio gear, all of which I built and tweaked to create the same invigorating sensation of freedom.  They do it in slightly different ways... but let's just say the car is so good at it (probably because it's easier to die) that you listen to the same track every time you drive it, for decades.  You could never get away with that on your stereo...not even a Decware stereo. ; )

So now that these Lii Headwrecker Horns have been released into the DIY world you can have this experience by your own hands

As a final thought the finesse of these drivers going down to around 30Hz re-enforces the position that if you can avoid a subwoofer, do it.  It will never sound like this.  On the other hand, in smaller rooms without bass traps these speakers are likely to create a standing wave so large that the experience will be bass free.  In that situation a pair of bookshelf speakers on stands paired with a small sub is likely to sound perfect due to a reduction of boundary effects.

Steve : )

WWW   IP Logged
MattyW
Verified Member

Reply #104 - 06/20/23 at 01:48:15

It sounds like you've built the perfect speakers around the PT-10 Steve. Fantastic results  :)

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #105 - 06/20/23 at 05:45:26

Thanks for the kind words : )

May as well give another update:

The speakers and system as a whole continues to improve.  I am finding them addicting on so many levels. I am currently driving them with the Zen Sarah 300B amp directly connected to the HOLO Audio MAY dac and it's really hard to pull yourself away because the density is at a new level that not even the large Zen Master Series baffles have, nor the Decware corner horns, or even the House speakers although they are the closest.  These things make the floor shake, and it's concrete. Doesn't have to be too loud either, they just have such velocity and dynamics and scale.  

The imaging is just phenomenal. Large wide arc that extends 8 feet past either speaker and massive depth, height. This is really kind of the biggest surprise considering their size. You really can't hear the speakers at all.

The dynamics are pretty mind numbing when you turn the speakers up a bit.  I've never heard anything like it. I realize that this horn design will work with many drivers and all of them will sound great in it. That is why it has a removable front baffle with four large threaded machine screws.  But much of what I am describing is the driver itself. The Lii Song Platinum 10 is just sick. It's like one of those rapid fire CRAM air defense guns.  And while you're having one of those holy shit moments you look and the cones aren't even moving yet.  Then you remember you're only listening to 4 or 5 watts (Decware watts) and the whole thing becomes unbelievable, yet there it is.

Scale is up to any type of music no matter how big, and the speed makes complex music sound simple. The speakers decode music like one of those rubix cube champions you see on TV. This makes electronic music and it's infinite layering potential simply amazing to listen to.  It sounds nothing like it does on 'normal' speakers. The bass is better than anything I've heard in my listening room...  

I have been enticed by these speakers to upgrade my analogue game a bit since the DAC is getting competitive with the vinyl rig... and more to the point the speakers are making it so easy to become dissatisfied with things and discover the weak links that are causing that dissatisfaction...  

Let me give you an example of what such a bright light can do in a cave of ignorance or stupidity... I upgraded my cartridge several years ago and it's extra low output. I used our ZMC1 transformer with it despite knowing it didn't have enough gain to be ideal.  I felt like Decware should use our own step up transformer in the demo room, so that's what we did. I sounded great, but it needed an additional gain stage on the output of the ZP3 to get in the game. Anyway these speakers compelled me to dig deeper and order the matching step up transformer for the cartridge, which came in from Japan last week.  

I installed it and was simply flabbergasted at the improvement it made and then immediately stumped by how real the recording sounded and wondered how could it be created in the first place to sound this good, certainly no one on the planet including the musicians the engineers could have heard it sound anywhere near this good on the gear they're using to mix and master it, right? See where you mind goes when it sounds too good to be true?  I mean it's so over the top that it seems to eclipse the moon landing in human accomplishments.

No longer any worries about loosing to the DAC. I took the track Random Access Memories from Daft Punk and played it back to back, HOLO DAC vs. the new cartridge and it wasn't even close. The Cartridge just destroyed the DAC. Even though I imagine the music was digitally mastered and then transferred to vinyl, it somehow was probably at least two the three times better coming out of this cartridge.  How?  I mean there was at least two to three times more music coming out of the speakers, I shit you not.  This really intrigues me, because it has to be an illusion right?

So on that note, I decided to get some new vinyl including some of this Infected Mushroom music. Then I saw the albums are costing hundreds of dollars and for a fair bit less than that I can take the output of the HOLO audio dac and put it into the tape machine, which I did. A similar thing happened when I played the tapes back... It got quite a bit better. Somehow the bass hit and dynamics got tighter and bigger at the same time and the music separated out better.  So I made two 15 IPS tapes that I then played back nice and loud and put myself in a state of bliss because the sound and balance was so perfect.

None of this would have happened without the sick resolution of these speakers pushing me to make things better. That's because without this resolution finding the next level of weak links is nearly impossible.  You might do it by chance or luck, but probably not.  You have to be able to easily hear the changes.  These speakers make it beyond easy to hear the change of anything in the system.  

I really couldn't be happier.  There is a long journey ahead to hear all the music I like with what feels like four ears instead of two.

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #106 - 06/20/23 at 09:47:42

Tape is the ultimate dynamic media for reproduction that can not be duplicated digitally. It seems your stating that in your message. So exciting to be on that path of magnetic tape!

🍻

Hope the Monti is running.

John

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #107 - 06/22/23 at 00:14:36

Ed,

Are you saying you are not using the gizmo2 or the zrock2, just holo to Sarah to speakers?

Thanks John

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #108 - 06/22/23 at 03:19:22

I am using the Gizmo2 and no ZROCK2 or preamp.  Just Holo, ZP3 or Tape machine directly into the amp for the past week or so.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #109 - 07/03/23 at 10:30:58

Steve,

I took some time yesterday and listened to the Headwreaker's progression. To me it is very noticable on how these things blossomed over the 14 videos. Very enticing for sure!

John

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #110 - 07/04/23 at 04:01:02

Hi John,

The speakers have been forcing me to up my game a bit.  Due to their large size and black finish, my phone that I use to make the videos and recordings will no longer focus properly.  It sees too much black and starts strobing the color... I finally had to give up and stopped using it.

Then there is the matter of the tapes.  My Infected Mushroom tapes played loud have such an intoxicating hit that I have desperately wanted to capture it for these videos but it just won't come through all the compression and limiting that the phone puts on it, not to mention YouTube.  

I have countless ways to record it, but getting that on a video without spending all day is the problem.  In any case I'm switching over to a better camera that can handle the lighting conditions and a separate battery operated stereo microphone/preamp with 20dB of gain so that I can run the  noisy preamp in the camera at a lower level and hopefully get decent recordings.  

This is a zero forgiveness way to record thou...  Unlike the very forgiving phone which kept anything from sounding too good or too bad, this setup will be brutally honest.

Even stepped up, I tried 6 times to record the tapes and it's just not going to capture it accurately.  The dynamics are still too soft and the weight is diminished.  So to hear the hit I'm talking about you'll just probably have to wait until DECFEST 2023 to hear them in person .

These speakers remind me a lot of the HDT's which are my goto speaker for flushing out all the weak links in the audio chain. They are great for amplifier design due to the lack of forgiveness and uncanny speed.  Lets you hear what's really there.

Anyway, because of these speakers and only because of these speakers, the Decware YouTube videos are transitioning into 4K with hi-res audio.  That would seem like a good thing, but the phone was so perfect on the small gimbal I have for it...  now I have a large gimbal I can barely operate and everything is heavy and cumbersome by comparison.  So really I blame it all on these speakers.

Steve : )

WWW   IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #111 - 07/04/23 at 12:58:54

The last video I watched was Lord "Tennis Court". The kick drum is fantastic on the first play. It was full, sublime, and cut the air between the headphone transducers and eardrums like a knife with full dynamics spread in my head. The second play not so much. May have something to do with psychoacoustics. Also, YouTube, Android, and/or Xfinity may store some streaming data that screws with timing on the second play.

I've tried a gimbal with GoPros used for bicycling. Ditching the gimbal in short order because the motor noise of the gimbal was noticeable on the sound track.

Video recording, editing, and publishing can easily send one down a deep rabbit hole. I have (4) four gigabyte terabyte drives full of footage taken while bike riding and found it to be very intensive to make anything useful out of it without devoting way too much unavailable time. I rather just ride.

I guess my point is you might just be beating your head against the wall trying to use internet media to get what your hearing across to us.

Anyhow, check your listening schedule. I have one set up for the third week in this month.

Have a great 4th!
John    

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #112 - 07/04/23 at 17:22:28

I remember some of Kenrick's videos raising this problem years ago, today he masters it to its best.
One of his latest :   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkreDNTGfmY

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #113 - 07/15/23 at 04:13:29

Tonight I am listening to the horns for the very first time on more than 6 watts. Got to demo a TORII JRv2 today on a pair of ERRx. The customer also wanted to hear a ZROCK2 so that was used as a preamp set to its flat setting but with a couple dB of gain.  

What better opportunity than right now to hear these horns on higher power! I have the amp volume set to 9:00 o'clock. So I am at the same listening level that I have been at using the SE84UFO25 and the SARAH 300B. I mention it because while I'm sure I could turn this up loud enough to make your eyes bulge out of your head, I have no desire to. This is my rompy listening level that I like.

The reason for posting tonight is to say that the sound got better. The music is more compelling. Incredible accuracy and control with probably infinite headroom at this volume. So this is an ultra-linear push-pull pentode with no feedback. Simply amazing. I didn't realize the speakers could get better than they were. Didn't see this coming.  Wow.  This combination, HOLO MAY via USB from Roon Nucleus feeding ZROCK2 feeding TORII  JRv2 on these speakers actually sounded almost exactly like my turntable with the Fidelity Research arm and FR7 silver coil cartridge.  

So the speakers are even better than I thought.  When I get a balls to crank them on some Infected Mushroom music I'll report back. Right now I'm playing music that I have on vinyl, like Tom Scott, Larry Carlton, and well recorded music along those lines.

Have a great weekend!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #114 - 07/25/23 at 16:37:04

"Decware Folded Horn for Platinum-10, Lii Headwrecker, just came out from piano factory."

https://www.facebook.com/liiaudiobrand/

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #115 - 07/26/23 at 01:16:35

Yea, saw that too on Lii’s facebook page—that finish looks fantastic!

John—how did your listening appt/session go?

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #116 - 07/26/23 at 08:49:47

Kamran,
The Headwreckers are the real deal when it comes to weight. Well, both physical and sound reproduction weight Wink Steve is in the process of making a stand on wheels to roll those around finding better positioning in his room to enhance imaging. I also listened to the HDTs with Liis Silvers and was impressed on how much the sound improved since Decfest last fall.
When time permits a review of the couple hours with Steve will be posted. Right now too much wonderful fun in the sun is to be had.
John

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #117 - 07/26/23 at 16:24:30

Here is the base/platform for the cabinet!  I have added the plans to the web page.  Now I can freely move them around the room.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #118 - 07/26/23 at 16:27:21

It didn't take long for them to end up here on the West end of the room.  They do in fact image much better as expected, and by comparison to before they sound less congested.  The stands improve the sound regardless of placement, but now it becomes the easiest speaker in the room to move... how ironic.

WWW   IP Logged
Dr3wman
Seasoned Member

Reply #119 - 07/26/23 at 16:36:26

Steve -

Somewhat off-topic... The official mascot/cat of Decware seems to always find the sweet spot for sound stage.........do they have a particular type of music they seem more drawn to?

Torii MKV/25 mods
PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamplifier
Technics SL-1200GR w/ Nagaoka MP-200.
KLH Model 3 speakers..
Sonos connect.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #120 - 07/26/23 at 16:42:11

Quote:
Posted by: Dr3wman      Posted on: Today at 08:36:26
Steve -

Somewhat off-topic... The official mascot/cat of Decware seems to always find the sweet spot for sound stage.........do they have a particular type of music they seem more drawn to?

My cat prefers Beethoven. FYI/FWIW/YMMV and all that.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #121 - 07/30/23 at 03:09:57

WWW   IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #122 - 07/30/23 at 07:52:38

^ Priceless

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #123 - 07/30/23 at 14:12:08

I was hesitant to pick up the cat who was peacefully asleep on the listening chair on my last visit Steve. Glad you did. When seated in front of the massive Headwreckers it turns out those are all you claim in this thread. Bass notes are heard playfully conveying the joy of the artist as one plays the instrument. Mids are lush and produced in a very intelligible manner. Highs are crisp and smooth.

I really did not notice any conjestion. Imaging did suffer as compared to the HDTs. Good to hear that moving the Headwreckers on the west side of the room improved the only weakness observed with those beasts!

Heck, I'm going to make a strong effort to make this years Decfest!

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #124 - 07/30/23 at 14:27:45

Phono rig has become second chair up against tape. Who or what contemporary is going to ban this album! Shameful idealists we have today.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #125 - 07/30/23 at 16:12:41

Music to my ears!

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #126 - 07/31/23 at 03:29:35

UPDATE: 7/30/23

A lot of things have coalesced since moving the speakers to the West end of the room where they can breath.

Right now I have things dialed in and the sound stage is 20 feet behind the speakers, which would be 15 feet behind the curtain.  The focus is uncanny.

The bass

First thing noticed after moving the speakers to this end of the room was the imaging, but then very quickly it was the bass.  The hole seems to be gone.  This is like a gift that I wasn't anticipating and I am so grateful!  Holy crap is it nice without the hole.  

I believe much of my concern about the bass of these speakers may have come by unique circumstance.  I have full size horns on the West end of the room designed for bass only.  They are not being used, and have been successfully designed not to sympathetically resonate with the other speakers in the room,  but... while that has been true for the past 20 years, I have never actually built a giant pair of similar horns and placed them on the opposite end of the room and fired them directly at each other...  It's probable that when the speakers were on the East end of the room the hole was created by an interaction with the horns at the West end of the room.  This makes sense now, because none of the smaller speakers I have create a bass null at the listening position.

Frequency Balance

The raw character of these speakers is to be insanely articulate and a bit forward by themselves.  When I moved them to the other end of the room I wondered if that would change.  It did not.  Well, actually IT DID!  I was frankly stunned, because I couldn't figure out how that was possible, but they sounded nicely staged back with good depth and weren't forward sounding.  Then I realized I had the network for the Lii Song Fast 15 still on the Sarah 300B amp from a previous demo and forgot to take it off.  Honestly, I preferred them on, so I listened that way on and off for several days.

The overall balance on this end of the room is far better because there is even weight throughout the bass regions, so really it's just about getting it to layer back and get the 3D space of the sound stage perfectly balanced.

The Gizmo2

I am really starting to love this thing.  I realized I like the HDT better with the Gizmo2 when I accidentally left it on one day when switching speakers.  Anyway, I installed the Gizmo2 from the start, but have had it in bypass mode this whole time.  I un-bypassed it and things got better still.  More separation from front to back in the sound stage.  It spent a few days with it using the Fast 15 networks at the same time and found I adjusted the Gizmo 2 to max which means minimal effect.

Later I removed the network and have been listening without it using the Gizmo2 turned all the way up which is to say maximum effect.  Lon would like this.  

The Amp and Tubes

I got my collection of 300B tubes back from the Steve Guttenberg review and all I had during those several months was the Chinese tube I found that I liked and that we offer to ship with the amps.  I can say with confidence that the tube doesn't suck.  Especially after hearing it on these speakers.  The dynamics are anything but weak and the sound is beautiful.  It is so good in fact that it made me forget about the Western Electrics that I sent out for review for at least a couple of months or more before I began to wonder what they sounded like...

So the other day I popped in my Western Electrics during the middle of a listening session kind of wondering what I would hear change and as soon as I turned up the volume there was a sanctity in my listening space that just made me gasp and then stand there in amazement at the difference in transparency... so that was fun.

The Cables

This is where it gets kind of interesting...

I am driving the amplifier with a single pair of DECWARE RCA interconnects from the ZBIT to the Sarah 300B amplifier.  Feeding the ZBIT is DECWARE XLR cable from the Cambridge CXNv2.

Since it was only a single 1 meter pair of RCA I used a prototype cable I got from Lii Song that had a slightly silkier sound I thought might compliment these horns.  After going back and forth for a few days I was convinced the cable is a notch above our own cables.

Then it was time to introduce a ZROCK to see how using a different approach to regulating forwardness by pushing or pulling back the image compares to the Gizmo2... or at least that was the plan.

Since I had to add an additional set of interconnects to make the ZROCK2 a reality, and since I didn't want to mess with what I already had, I set the ZROCK up on the second set of inputs, so I went from a single 1 meter cable to a pair, and just to mess with my head, both were actually 2 meter cables.

At this point I found the textured silky transparency and sound stage of the Lii cable from the ZBIT better than the sound from the ZROCK going through the other cables.  I became convinced the presentation was better without the ZROCK and long lengths of cables.  I blamed it on the cables.

ZROCK3

I have been developing a ZROCK3 because I have been refining and improving the ZROCK for the past several months.  Now was a good time to test it.  The above results that I blamed on the cables I also blamed on the the new ZROCK3 that had no burn-in time on it.  

After a couple days of using it and going back and forth, I decided to take advantage of one of the bigger new features of the ZROCK3 which is a variable output level.  I wanted to match the gain exactly with the ZBIT so I could A/B things a little more seriously.  After adjusting it down to match other input everything completely changed for the better.  I was actually stunned.  The layering and depth, and focus and everything I love about a ZROCK was there but it sounds as transparent or more so.  It was such a game changer for the sound stage.  It is set to about 10:00 A.M. so the EQ hasn't kicked in yet.  I have never been able to listen to a ZROCK at this position before, or perhaps I could have, but never wanted to.

By being adjusted into nearly perfectly flat response and at unity gain relative to the other input from the ZBIT which itself was set to unity gain at 2 volts, the layers have been just coming into focus and getting deeper and deeper as we go.

Now, I am hearing the sound focus, timbre, layers, depth and transparency are all better than before when not using the ZROCK.  So this completely vaporized my observation/suspicions that the cables were a big reason why I initially didn't like the ZROCK in the path.

Anyway, the ZROCK3 dialed back to unity and the GIZMO2 are the only things being used to make these speakers a new reference for sound stage. They are like the House speakers but bigger and faster and more visceral in the bass.

After dark, even the most delicate music has immense density and dynamics and decay.  Hell, you can be mesmerized on these things listening to elevator music.

Anyway, what started this thread was the insane imaging and sound stage depth that came as a result of all this experimenting which came as a result of moving the speakers to the other side of the room where there is lots of space around and behind them.  Because of the difference in depth resolution this brought it was suddenly easy to hear differences and I became motivated to explore it.  On the East end of the room the idea would have never presented itself, and didn't.

So this years DECFEST will be a lot of fun having something new to hear.  I'm thinking about having attendees sign a release form before hearing them.  This is no doubt the best demo in the Decware listening room to date.  It is much like the large open baffles in size and scale, but with razor sharp focus and imaging that just has me shaking my wrecked head.

The Gizmo2, the ZROCK, the impedance switches on the amp and the sound stage switch on the amp along with tubes in the amp all finding their synergistic part in the play have created a virtual experience that exactly replicates the physical experience of getting a tonearm mechanically dialed in to a specific cartridge.  So picture a super high end cartridge where the tonearm wasn't ideal, the azimuth a touch off, the wrong mass, the vta set too high and this is what comes from the factory. You haven't heard the cartridge yet.  Get it dialed in and holy cow.  Lii Song driver in this horn, same thing.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #127 - 07/31/23 at 04:05:20

Don’t mean to hijack the thread on the Horns—-I’m so looking forward to this years Decfest—-but….

Did you just say that a ZROCK 3 is around the corner? Color me intrigued!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #128 - 08/03/23 at 01:31:02

Yes, there is going to be a ZROCK3.  It will be a ZROCK2 with a variable output control.  

The ZROCK2 was designed to go between the source and preamp.  In many cases with Decware, there is no preamp which is made possible by the input gain control on the amplifiers.

When you use a ZROCK and set it past 12:00 or so, you begin to create gain.  In most cases this is 3 to 6 dB of gain.  This is not a problem with Decware gear but can be a problem with non-Decware gear.  For example, a large solid state or tube amplifier without an input level control... expecting to see less than 1 volt of signal because it comes to full power with 1 volt, is not going to be noise free if you put 4 or 5 volts on the input.

Many people do just this, because they want to ZROCK all of their sources, not just one like the unit was designed for.  That means they put it between their preamp and power amp and that often makes noise or hum that can be audible.

If any of these amplifiers had an input gain control, placing the ZROCK between a preamp and amp would work without problems because you would simply turn the gain control down on the amp the same amount that the ZROCK turned the gain up.

By putting a variable output level feature into the ZROCK3 it is the same thing as putting an input level control on amplifiers that don't have one.  The product will be available this fall.  Don't know the price yet, it's going to be a lot harder to build so labor will shoot the price up.  We may be able to upgrade the ZROCK2 but again, too soon to price it until we find out if it's even possible without rebuilding the whole thing to get the parts in the right places.

WWW   IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #129 - 08/03/23 at 04:30:56

Will the ZROCK3 replace the ZROCK2 or will I still be able to get the ZROCK2?

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #130 - 08/29/23 at 03:17:35

My goodness. Here we go again.  

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Reply #131 - 08/30/23 at 16:41:09

What is the song used in the Bass output test video? Anyone?

Thanks

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #132 - 09/20/23 at 02:40:30

Sorry didn't see your post.  I will look it up when I can.

But tonight as I listen to these speakers in the raw with no ZROCK but instead the GIZMO2 as they will be presented during Decfest...

This friking speaker is just like my damn car!  Man...  When it's in the mood to show what it's really made of -- it's simply a holy shit moment!  You can't even believe it just did that!!  It presents itself as the 24 carat capstone of the pyramid by which all else is measured. You know the feeling... sideways at a 45 mph stab and then just starts pulling like a rocket!

So you are happy.

Then you want to share the experience with some else, you get them in the car and the performance is just hearsay.  A ridiculous disappointment. They came during the day when the track weather conditions were less than ideal.

The only trend with this kind of performance is that the conditions have to be exactly right and then it's really a holy shit moment!!
With the 'damn car' it's only when the temperature, humidity and pressure are at the ideal alignment and the car is in the mood to show off that it will happen.

Many will experience this at Decfest.  Hearing it one minute, usually during the day, and thinking not for me...  then hours later after dark hearing it and thinking holy crap what just happened?

I guess this is the nature of extreme high end.  It's not high end... it's extreme high end.  It's not street-able.  It's extreme.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #133 - 09/20/23 at 03:08:06

There is a lot going on with these speakers right now...  and everything else -- so I haven't been able to post much about them but the listening hours are stacking up nicely and once these are on a dac with a linear power supply and Decware or equally good amplifier using the right speaker cables (ZSTYX) and a GIZMO2 to stage the sound stage back with good adjustable front to back depth and balance the sound is the best we have achieved to date.  All made possible by the lii Song PT10 driver and our maximized horn enclosure design to show off what it is capable of.  

Hearing low bass frequencies with this speed is something that 99.5% of audiophiles have never experienced.  Most are judging bass speed using woofers with 100 to 120 grams of moving mass with high power feedback laden amplifiers with lots of consequential damping to 'control' the sloppy woofer achieving an illusion of tight bass response.  

Speed is how fast a woofer can stop.

A 17 gram moving mass can stop faster than a 120 gram moving mass.

You couldn't find a subwoofer fast enough to not compromise the time signature / phase angle of the low frequencies.  Hey man, relax. Giant speaker cabinets like this (which was normal in the 1950's ) have more bass than you can deal with.  No subwoofers are required.

You have bone crushing dynamics from 30Hz to 15kHz all from a single point source and a single voice coil and with no crossover.  Just a single point source/voice coil connected directly the amplifier.  Transparency is disarming.

One of my personal favorite parts of DECFEST every year is that a fair amount of people get to listen in the Decware listening room after dark into the wee hours of the morning.  They then hear for themselves what I write about and realize it wasn't exaggerating.  There is no comparison to the sound here during the day and after dark...  despite power conditioners etc., it is impossible not to notice.

WWW   IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #134 - 09/21/23 at 02:08:58

I can already see the title of my summary post after the event:

“Sleepless in Peoria”

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #135 - 09/21/23 at 02:42:40

Maybe five or six years ago at the fest Steve had a zen amp hooked up to a set of speakers and the big corner bass horns.  Just a simple crossover to parse the signals. I do not remember the tracks but it was the best organic low bass I’d ever heard.  Truly a wow moment in the analogues of Decfest history.  Right up there with the debut of the OTL amp playing Fanfare for the Common Man.

My point being if that can be duplicated with a single driver in a horn cab, it will be special.  And yes a Kamran, you will have a hard time sleeping.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Jackie Badman
Verified Member

Reply #136 - 09/21/23 at 23:48:38

Hi Steve.. a most excellent new design.  I have bought some plans from the shop and will build a pair over the next few months.  I know this question comes up a lot on the internet, but I wanted to ask your thoughts specifically on the choice one has between MDF or Ply for the Headwreckers... I see you have used MDF for yours.  The cabinets look highly braced up, which I am guessing probably reduces the differences between the materials sonically.. Look forward to your comment.  With thanks!

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #137 - 09/22/23 at 10:21:00

I consider a baffle has something to do with a musical instrument in some ways. What you are seeking is avoiding resonance inside. MDF is homogenous and dense. So it is predictable, easy to craft and rather cheap, that are the reasons why the industry use it now.
With heavy stuffing at the right place, proof is...it works.
As for me when I built my speakers, I used OSB  precisely because it isn't homogenous but has nothing to see with a beautiful wood if you can afford it. I am pretty sure different kind of wood would give different results. Who has ever tested that ? Who has ever tested different woods in the same baffle, different thickness for certain parts, etc ...?
When we talk about violin we forgot the bow quality which plays a tremendous role.
Conclusion, if you are not money tight, let your feelings go and try what comes out, make sure you can easily modify after long listening sessions. It is a game which can last a long time and a pleasure as well. That's what DIY is about.
If you want no surprise and less fun, follow exactly what Steve has done.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #138 - 09/23/23 at 00:34:49

Quote:
Hi Steve.. a most excellent new design.  I have bought some plans from the shop and will build a pair over the next few months.  I know this question comes up a lot on the internet, but I wanted to ask your thoughts specifically on the choice one has between MDF or Ply for the Headwreckers... I see you have used MDF for yours.  The cabinets look highly braced up, which I am guessing probably reduces the differences between the materials sonically.. Look forward to your comment.  With thanks!

Plywood has a particular sound, as does MDF and other 3/4 material.  While it is stronger it is not as dense or as dead as MDF, not that MDF is dead but plywood is even hotter.  This is why you see such care into the bracing of this design.  It is by far the best large horn I've done to date.  Almost zero energy on the cabinet compared to a less braced cabinet from plywood, like say a Klipsch LaScala as an example.

If you're looking for coloration, and sometimes it is desirable, plywood will have more of it until both are braced to a state where neither can move.  At that point the plywood is lighter and can have hollow pockets in the interior ply's that can buzz like a loose screw in worse case scenarios.

MDF has to be sealed with a sanding sealer, every board on all 6 sides, before assembly.  It's not an option.  MDF is also flat.  Plywood seldom is, so if you don't want to wrestle large panels into place with clamps, MDF is a good go to.

With most speakers (Zen Master Series Open Baffles as an exception) I like a very inert cabinet.  If as a speaker designer I need the colorations of the cabinet to add simulated texture to drivers that have been squashed with excessive crossover networks, then I guess it makes sense to have a more lively cabinet but with crossover-less single driver and simple two-way loudspeakers of higher sensitivity you definitely don't need any artificial enhancements.

Also, thanks Trooppy for the sending out the good advise.  Follow exactly what I have done and get exactly the same result.  This is especially important for the interior and the final tuning with the round 3 inch thick pillow and felt surface treatment in strategic places.  This process took some time because it was tuned by ear using my own voice until it sounded right.  It is a sparse combination of craft felt that is no thicker than .3 mm I would say and the action on the pillow and holes around the pillow that keep the speed so high and all the reflections from the lower chamber absorbed.  

I believe the shape of that chamber in combination with the round pillow creates a diode affect on frequencies up to 3 inches, which is the entire midrange.  Sounds that go down into the chamber from the 4 holes around the pillow don't come back out.  The proximity of the pillow to the driver gives an immediate reflex without any waves standing on the surface which is ideal.  

All of this is about timing.  The horn design, the interior surfaces, the bracing.  It is to maximize speed as the sound moves through the horn and to make sure it doesn't stand inside the cavity that feeds the horn.  You see -- the faster a driver is the more important this becomes otherwise the speed reveals a time smear from the interior surfaces if they are covered in say 1 inch felt, foam, or fiberglass.  You would never hear this on a 88dB, 120 gram moving mass hifi driver.  But on a racehorse like this it is a different game with different rules.  This is like the Nascar of hifi when it is even mildly pushed.

WWW   IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #139 - 09/23/23 at 09:36:09

Steve
Do you have an idea of how make the "pillow" because I don't think it will be easy to find it anywhere !

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #140 - 09/23/23 at 16:31:30

WWW   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #141 - 09/27/23 at 23:29:09

I am hoping to hear this song on the new horns at the fest. Good driving bass.

Makes Us Stronger - Ghost Rider

Its on Tidal.  Not sure about Qobuz.

I have more, but this one is my favorite to listen to on the P10s.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #142 - 09/28/23 at 00:02:31

Tom,

You and me both!

it’s on Qobuz as well, and one of my test tracks for bass.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #143 - 09/28/23 at 00:05:52

Here is a link to the song. It's the last one on the album.
Listen to the release Part of the Dream (Compiled by Vini Vici) by Vini Vici on Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/album/ku78a1s0egvva

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #144 - 09/28/23 at 00:30:42

Thanks HK.  Will check it out.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #145 - 09/28/23 at 00:39:41

Just finished listening to the track for the first time. The intro is really wild as well. I can hear things all around me. Very strong 90 deg angle from listening position beind it's a little softer and not as clear.

Around 2:50ish sounds and feels so cool!

Thanks for sharing.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #146 - 09/28/23 at 01:05:16

My reason for searching for bass demo songs is I am pretty aware of what the P10 driver is capable of from 200hz and up.   But I am intrigued by Steve’s comments about producing lower bass with a significantly lighter cone via the horn configuration.

My 15” bass drivers are 94db efficient 1W1M but they have to be moving a lot more cone mass.  How much tighter and dynamic can the base be with the single driver, ultra light cone approach?

Inquiring minds ant to know.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #147 - 09/28/23 at 12:40:33

Related to good bass tracks.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1688481139

I linked a short playlist Qobuz and Tidal. Others have added songs and comments also.

I went to grab the link and realized that I missed a lot of the conversation on that thread and will be replying to it. Also keeps this thread on track.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #148 - 09/28/23 at 12:56:23

Thanks GS.   Will definitely check it out.  I am a bit of a bass head.

I didn't mean to take this thread off track but I am curious to hear what the folded horns can do and my ADHD kinda had me pinging between topics explored in three threads - bass, folded horn, and Decfest.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #149 - 09/28/23 at 13:08:25

Palomino, If I came across as the Topic Police that wasn't my intent. I think your posting of the track and the following discussion is 100% appropriate for this thread.

I'm also really interested in listening to Steve's new folded horns. Before I bought my OB speakers I was looking at folded horns and never got the chance to listen to any.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print