Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 16:44:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My UFO2 is whisper quiet... (Read 7457 times)
Coyote
Seasoned Member

My UFO2 is whisper quiet...
04/03/23 at 18:27:07

Greetings all,

Well I did not have much time to play lately.

I did sort out a few issues, so no more hum, no more (or much less) Voltage fluctuations at the AC outlet, etc.

Now, I am sitting down and powering up the little UFO2.

I am spinning some Blue note, Coltrane, Blue Train. Simply because I know this album inside and out. Also some violin concerto and some Joy division for good measures...

I like what I hear the sound is crisp, rapid, even punchy.

My only issue at the moment is that it is all whisper quiet...
Like 32-37db on my meter while close listening and the pot is 95% maxed-out on the UFO????

I tried the toggle switches on different settings with little effect.

One curious thing is the A meters on the UFO2 are only showing 22mA??? I was expecting like 80mA...

This is currently using the Thorenz  with the Celestion Ditton 66.
(see details in my signature). I haven't tried other components as this is the setup I want to use for this system with the exception of using the F15 Betsy when I get them back.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Cheers,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Quad mono 303 (x2) + 33 + FM3.
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Thorens TD160 MKII + SME III tonearm. Ortophon OM10.
Oppo CD/DVD.
Celestion Ditton 66 studio.
Lii F15 in Betsy type OB.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: My UFO2 is whisper quiet...
Reply #1 - 04/03/23 at 18:42:13

You say "at the moment" it is whisper quiet. Does that mean that previously they played at a normal volume?

The first thing I'd check is that there isn't a problem with the front end. Have you tried multiple sources? Different inputs on the amp?

I haven't had a UFO with meters but my understanding is 22 mA is about right, 80 is way too high. The other (obvious) thing I'm thinking is tubes. If you have a spare set of tubes I would try them. If you don't have a spare set of tubes you absolutely positively need them, exactly for an issue like this.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 04/03/23 at 18:48:02

I looked up your speakers. Saw this:

Recommended Amplifier Capacity:  10 Watts to 160 Watts

I think that you may need a more powerful amp to get more volume from these speakers.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 04/03/23 at 18:59:56

Quote:
Posted by: Lon      Posted on: Today at 10:48:02

...Recommended Amplifier Capacity:  10 Watts to 160 Watts

2.3 Watts is like 6dB below 10 watts, not 60. Even very inefficient speakers should be much louder than "whisper quiet" with a UFO amp IMO.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 04/03/23 at 19:02:53

Everybody has a different idea of "whisper quiet" and differing quality of hearing. In my personal experience a speaker with these specs may need a bigger amp to be anywhere near loud for some definitions of "loud."

In the past I tried my Select and modded C with similar speakers and not gotten more than 40db or so.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
bramar
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/03/23 at 19:02:55

Sell the fleawatt in favor of some more power and headroom. The Torii Jr v2 or Torii MK 5, both in the medium power range, comes to mind. Your current amp will always be your limiting factor and will hold you hostage in the future. This is why I say sell the UFO and keep your speakers. You’ll appreciate more choices down the road as you might make changes to your system.

My MK 5 is dead quiet and I couldn’t be more thrilled with it on all levels.

Another member very astutely posted here, “SET isn’t for everyone”. I know, I know one can get wrapped up in the hype.

Brad

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 04/03/23 at 19:43:31

Hooking the same setup up to your Lii F-15 baffles would answer any questions of speaker efficiency being the issue.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/03/23 at 21:41:48

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies.
Maybe Steve will see that thread and chime in.
I will comment to everyone here:

- Lon, yes but those specs are from the 1970s. I prefer going with the sensibility 90-91db. I should get some sound with that combo...

- Will, yes I agree. The F15s are at a friend's place at the moment since I did not have the UFO at the time I lent them to him. (He likes them very much, actually maybe I should go get them !!! LOL).

- Bramar, thanks for the comment. I bought the UFO exactly because it is a 'flea watt' amp and I want to experiment on what can come out of it. the MK5 is a beautiful piece, congratulations.

- Lon, that is good information (got 40db... with similar configuration) I think whisper quiet refers to below 40 db, mosquito quiet is below 30 db, quiet library is below 50, office is below 60, below 70 is conversation, below 80 is traffic noise, etc...

- CAJames, yes these ditton 66 studio are 91db efficient so I was expecting at the very very least 60db from the UFO.

- CAJames, no I just received the UFO a week or two ago and this is the first time I plugged it in.

- Have you tried multiple sources? Not yet! I intend to more the CD/DVD player and from the home theater and connect it to the UFO just for testing.
Different inputs on the amp? There are only two input on the UFO and there is zero suggestions on Decware that they would be at different input V or anyhing like that...? I am thinking maybe the phono cartridge???
If I look at the Decware website the pic of the UFO shows the meters at 30mA.
"If you don't have a spare set of tubes you absolutely positively need them" I know right? I should have ordered some extras with the amp...

Again thank you all, keep the suggestions coming. I am a bit at a loss. 90-91 db should give me not rock concert but enough to actually listen comfortably. At the moment quiet passages in a small string quatuor are lost.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #8 - 04/03/23 at 21:51:26

Quote:
Posted by: Coyote      Posted on: Today at 13:41:48

...Different inputs on the amp? There are only two input on the UFO and there is zero suggestions on Decware that they would be at different input V or anyhing like that...?

Correct, there should be no difference. But you have a problem somewhere and maybe there is a problem with the input you're using. What are you using for a phono stage?

Note also, if your speakers are really 90 dB, then with a 2 watt amp you should be getting 93 dB at 1 meter. Even if they were only 80 dB you should be getting 83 dB.  So, I'm going to claim the problem isn't the speakers.

IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/03/23 at 23:39:41

Hi CAJames,

I tried the input #2 same issue.

I agree I should be getting something decent from these spkrs, not earth shattering but satisfying.
The tt is a Thorenz TD160 with SME III arm and a Ortophon OM10 cartridge.
That  is a MMC output 4mV.
... Brace yourself...

This is connected directly to the UFO2...
I thought with a MMC cartridge I would not need a phono stage amp??
Is that my issue?

If so can you suggest some phono stage new or used?
I would prefer to have nothing between the tt and the UFO but if necessary then so be it.

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 04/03/23 at 23:43:32

You need a phono preamp between the turntable and the amplifier. Not just for gain but for RIAA equalization.

IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/03/23 at 23:57:13

-Lon,

Thank for the quick reply...
Hum, I will look into that...

Any suggestions for a decent / good phono stage amp??
No SS components if possible in this system.
New or used.

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 04/04/23 at 00:05:48

I would recommend the Decware ZP3 but the wait is so long and who knows when a used one might pop up and stay available long enough to buy it.

I'll let others pipe in with more knowledgable recommendations. My experience the last fifteen years has been with the ZP3 and with two PS Audio solid state preamplifiers which are no longer made but I do like the second (NuWave Phono Converter) a lot.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #13 - 04/04/23 at 00:06:34

Hi Coyote.

I have followed the recent development of Sota Turntables, Pyxi phono stage.

It was just officially released a few months ago, and at a very affordable $300, is supposed to be quite a performer.

Based on what I’ve read about it, it sounds like it would be worth looking at.

Good luck,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 04/04/23 at 00:11:22

Thanks Geno.

Yeah at 300$ it sounds like a bargain, I will look it up.
I was really hoping for a minimalist approach for this system...
;-)

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 04/04/23 at 00:48:03

You will have a minimalist system. Any turntable will require a phono preamp.  Look up how records are recorded, pressed and played back on a turntable and that might help you understand there is no getting around it--so if you add one you still have the minimum possible: turntable, phono preamp, amplifier. (Records are made with an EQ that diminishes lower frequencies and increases higher frequencies; that EQ needs to be reversed when before the signal can be amplified sent to speakers.)

Of course you can buy integrated amplifiers that have a built-in phono preamplifier. Decware however does not make one.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 04/04/23 at 01:08:44

I appreciate your input Lon, and would like to add an additional thought. Yes, of course a phono section of some sort is mandatory, but I have found something that I like uses the signal straight from the phono right to a headphone amp. I don't do it often, but it is a way of skipping a step in the chain (including all the fun that we deal with per speakers and rooms). I realize that the headphone amp is just subbing for the pre/power amp, but I am even wondering about having the phono cartridge wired for balanced output, then going into a balanced headphone amp, and being sent lastly to a set of balanced headphones. Sorry, things get away from me on this subject.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
HiFi Bri

Reply #17 - 04/04/23 at 01:28:40

It's solid state, but I highly recommend the Darlington Labs MP-7 or any of the less expensive models. I have not tried them with Decware but Keith, the owner/engineer says he has customers who claim they pair very well with Decware amps. They are a small company, bespoke, etc., and have a very good reputation.

SE84UFO | ZRock2 w 25th Ann | Rega P3 + Groovetracer Mods | Hana EH | Darlington Labs MP7 | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZSTYX Speaker Cbls | Omega Alnico Towers | Butcherblock Acoustics RigidRack
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #18 - 04/04/23 at 01:30:11

I'm glad we got to the bottom of this in any event. I'm looking forward to your thought on the amp once you get the CD player hooked up. I'm sure that will give you reasonable volume.

For a phono stage I recommend Mapletree Audio:

https://www.mapletreeaudio.com/

It is a little shop in Canada, smaller than Decware. Their phono stage isn't cheap but is similar to the ZP3, less expensive and available a lot quicker.

IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 04/04/23 at 01:31:39

Hi Lon, Hi 4krow.

Lon,
0K, I think what threw me was this:
"SE84UFO2.1 This is a pure class A single-ended triode amplifier with 2 high-current watts per channel and the ability to drive speakers between 2 and 16 ohms.  It features a volume control and two pair of input jacks making preamps completely optional."

Mixing pre-amp and phono amp.

Should we call it UFO2.2 when it has all the mods?? Wink

4Krow,
Ahh, yeah, sure... Great comment. Wayyy above my pay grade! L

I could fork the $ for a ZP3 but I cannot afford the wait time! 18m for the UFO and 18m for the ZP3.
I might have a heart attack in the mean time! LOL

So the search is on for a decent (if temporary) phono stage.
Preferably tube.

All suggestions welcome!

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 04/04/23 at 01:39:53

Filthnoise, CAJames.

Yes, glad this was just some kind of brain fart on my part. I should have known better but it has been a very long time since I played with hifi say 30+ years, so I guess I have to be humble and realize that I have a definite learning curve ahead of me! Smiley

I have to get the CD players and move the cables from one place to the next. Now that this little hick-up with the TT is sorted out I am sure the CD will come through as a championn  with the UFO.

Cheers,
a

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 04/04/23 at 01:40:46

Coyote, taking at look at your signature and had a thought.

Plug your TT into the phono on the Marantz 2235. Then connect the tape out on the Marantz to your UFO. Fiddle with the input knob and tape buttons, sorry can't recall the exact setting for those receivers, once you hit the right combo you'll be enjoying vinyl with volume.  

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 04/04/23 at 02:00:45

Sean,

Thanks!
I will take out the Marantz!

a

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #23 - 04/04/23 at 03:23:33

I must first admit that I am biased towards tubes in phono stages. Just my liking. I actually have a Jolida JD9 that I am thinking about selling but am not firm on the idea. They go for about $400 on US Audiomart, but of course it varies as to what might have been done to them.
I have tried many less expensive phono stages and I guess that you have get lucky or something, because not one of the less expensive ones did much for me. And yes, there is a certain truth to matching a cartridge to the rest of what it is connected to, from the TT/tonearm to the phono stage and beyond.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 04/04/23 at 12:45:35

Schitt mani is a good entry level phono about 160 new. I had this before I went with the Rega for my P6. Also check out Unerwood HiFi he has some inexpensive tube phonos.

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 04/04/23 at 12:47:14

Sorry thats Underwood hifi

ARC LS25MK2, UFO2.1 & Denafrips Pontus II DAC, PSA P300 Regen, Rega P6 w/ NEO and Rega MM Phono, Marantz CD6006, Bluesound Node 2i, Nakamitchi Cassette, Syzygy Sub, Omega JR XRS Towers & 74' Heresy rebuilt from Crites, ZWIRE speaker, DSRXLR, AQ connects
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #26 - 04/04/23 at 13:34:57

Billyeaux is spot on.  I also started out with a Schiit Mani to use with my Rega P2 to get me going.  I liked it for the price…but then when I jumped up to Rega fono MM  MK5….There was no contest.  

You indicated that you are trying to keep it as minimalistic as possible..  I get it….but I must say that while I did like the minimal signal chain….I then tied my  ZSTAGE preamp into the mix and really liked what it did.   Then…. a month later my ZROCK2 order finally came in… and that was the icing on the cake.  While I liked what the ZROCK2 did to my digital playback… I LOVED what it did to my vinyl playback.    

I run my vinyl through a Zen SE84C+ 25th Anniversay mods, and with 90dB speakers…it plays plenty loud in my fairly large room with vaulted ceilings.  Now I’m not saying these the aforementioned Decware components are necessary to enjoy vinyl…. but I would never take the ZSTAGE and the ZROCK2 our of my system.  But like everyone else has stated….the phono preamp is a must.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 04/06/23 at 03:06:25

Ahhhh Schiit...

So, 0k I did it, I bought a Schiit Mani 1.
Why oh why...

Well I got it used but 'like new' and paid 100$ CAD dollerette  for it.
( That is like 0.25¢ USD. )
Impossible to refuse.

It wont be my forever phono stage, but it will be here tomorrow.

The reason I got it is because of the "adjustability" dip switches on the underside.
Well no, the reason is, it will be here tomorrow.

This will give me something to play with.
I know, set it and forget it, but
I think there is more to that. More gain, less gain... etc.

Now I see very little actual decent reviews on that unit (maybe because it is an entry level unit??) Anyone can suggest a decent review (something that says more than "the sound was good!" with head banging movements?)

Or maybe someone has experience with the Mani 1 and want to share?

Dominick? Bilyeaux?

Cheers,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #28 - 04/06/23 at 03:13:07

Hi Coyote.

I had one. My first external phono stage.

Entry level is correct. Plain Jane.

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Bilyeaux
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 04/06/23 at 13:08:06

Coyote, my Mani started out with a P2 and I liked it but really have little experience with phonos. My first system in 76 had a receiver with phono as did my brothers system I inherited. Then I switched to the Rega MM and it did sound better, clearer, cleaner, more articulate. Then wanting to get to my end point for LP analogue, and instead of changing multiple pieces on the 2, I traded in for the P6 with Neo and it was a noticeable improvement and am content.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 04/06/23 at 13:28:42

Coyote:

You could still try running the phono signal through the phono input of the Marantz. That is what I do for the rare occasions that I play vinyl.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
joralieu
Verified Member

Reply #31 - 04/06/23 at 13:28:44

If you have soldering skills the Bottlehead Eros is a nice all tube Phono pre amp.

IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 04/06/23 at 16:18:49

Again thank you all for the great suggestions!
Joralieu, Bottlehead, of course I use to have some of their kits. I had completely not thought of them!
I will go have a look...
Thx.
a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
wynpalmer
Verified Member

Reply #33 - 04/10/23 at 00:33:02

Hi, I'm the designer of the SoTA Pyxi phono stage. Does anyone have any questions?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 04/10/23 at 02:48:25

What about my suggestion Coyote?

Next time you try to blow up roadrunner use a better brand of dynamite than ACME.   Smiley

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 04/10/23 at 03:04:18

Hi Rivieraranch,

I ended up getting a Schiit phono stage amp.
Arriving Monday.
So I do not have to lug around the Marantz, for now.
BUT.
I do intend to make the comparison between the Marantz and the Schiit at some point.
Right now, I refocused to connecting the CD and a DAC and for this I might need a switch box.
The UFO is dedicated for the TT so that goes as direct as possible.
The DAC and CD players are secondary so a switch box is acceptable in my view.

We also had a little detour conversation on PSU in another thread.

Cheers,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 04/10/23 at 03:49:06

What about the dynamite?

55   IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #37 - 04/10/23 at 12:16:50

Coyote,

I have the Decware switch box and it works flawlessly.  At first I didn’t think I would need it, but as my system grew, it became a matter of convenience.  My streaming goes through input 1, phono system through input 2, my Audioquest Dragonfly Red Dac through input 3 for playing MQA files, and input 4 connected to my Oppo CD player.  

What nice about the Decware ZSB  switch box is that is has dual outputs.  The second output is used to send the audio signal to a dedicated subwoofer.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 04/10/23 at 19:55:42

Rivieraranch.
"What about the dynamite?."

Most important consideration indeed, I am looking for a new provider.

;-)

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 04/10/23 at 19:58:57

Dominick,

"The second output is used to send the audio signal to a dedicated subwoofer.  "

Oh that is very cool as I am thinking eventually to ad one or a pair of subs.

Thanks,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 04/24/23 at 15:35:54

My UFO is opening up...

I have put my schiit together and playing vinyl with it for the past week or so.
It is a very nice little unit but I know right away it is not the one that is going to stay in the line-up.

It can make the sound very soft or brighter and two little switches appear to make one speaker or the other fade in the background.

Playing with that and the toggle switch on the UFO I have been able to achieve some very impressive (for me) results.

With the biggest amplification the sound is the brighter/harsh but I only need a bit over 1/4 volume on the UFO to rock the room.
On the med amplification setup I need about 1/2 and that is where I keep it a the moment with the UFO toggle voicing switch on the bright side (toggle toward the 6N1P).

I have about 20 hr. on the UFO now and it is definitely "opening-up".

I am loving it!

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 04/24/23 at 15:55:44

I have a question!

The two impedance toggle switches at the back of the unit.
2/6 Ohms and 6/16 Ohms
Well they have zero effect on the sound at all???
Nothing, is that normal?

I would have thought switching to the 2/6 Ohms setting would have increase the sound output???
The speakers are Ditton 66 studio monitors if that makes a difference.

Thank you all,

​Build yourself a great day !

Cheers,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #42 - 04/24/23 at 16:33:28

They have always produced a sonic difference for me with my speakers (HR-1 and ERR).

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #43 - 04/24/23 at 17:21:18

Quote:
Posted by: Coyote      Posted on: Today at 07:55:44
I have a question!

The two impedance toggle switches at the back of the unit.
2/6 Ohms and 6/16 Ohms
Well they have zero effect

For me they have little if any effect. The effect is bigger if your speaker impedance is outside the 6-8 ohm range FWIW.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #44 - 04/24/23 at 17:30:57

While I agree with fiddling with the tiny switches on Phono pre, the cartridge already has a recommended setting for it, such 47k ohms impedance setting and maybe about 100pf capacitance setting. Gain setting usually ends up around 40-45db. These are kind of general rules to be sure, but just flipping switches will likely lead to an output that produces too high a volume at a low volume knob setting, also with a like amount of distortion being added.
All of this crap has driven me insane from one phono pre to another, and then the 'matching' of said equipment with other related/connected equipment. Back in the old days, the all in one units did that stuff for you usually with the best results available from their unit.
Experimentation is fine within certain brackets.

IP Logged
Coyote
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 04/24/23 at 19:59:46

CAJames, thank you. Re-assuring to know that I am not alone!

Lon, I am going to see what happens when I pair it with the LiiF15OB...

4Kcrow, "Gain setting usually ends up around 40-45db" yes that is about where it is now. I still have to investigate the purpose of two of the switches... They seem to just cut down the left or right channel. And yes big distortion on the (I think) 90db amplification from the pre-amp vs (I think) 30db.
That mid choice (40db)  appears to be the sweet spot.

Thx,

a.

My modest system:
SE84UFO2.(2).
Marantz 2235.
Schiit Mani.
Technic SL23.
Oppo CD/DVD.
ATAUDIO 12TC Pure OCC.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #46 - 04/24/23 at 21:06:22

Man, I have been through the exact same thing I swear. The manual to my phono pre was some of the worst description of how to do it right that if it were about traffic it would have been a T-bone. Finally, after I transcribed the instructions from English to better English, I got my settings. When there are so many possible switch arrangements and we are not automatic experts, real explanation would be cool. At least you are getting there and noticing some of the same things that I did. It does get better.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print