04/20/24 at 02:07:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
UFO2 tube rolling (Read 533 times)
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

UFO2 tube rolling
04/03/23 at 15:01:32

As of now, tubes rolling hasn't really get into my room.
I have the original tubes + the Decware coke bottle 5U4G
I have the EL84 WC + ECC88 WC Wathen cryo

Which of the - Rect - Power - Pre - that you all have tested and used has made the most significant changes, not slight changes, something blatant right away from the originals, with you comments on each tube "flavours".

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Re: UFO2 tube rolling
Reply #1 - 04/03/23 at 17:56:13

From my experience, the rectifier tube has a major contribution to the sound. Think of it as the foundation for the preamp and power tubes.

With your amp and tubes, the Wathem 5AR4-WC rectifier tube would provide the superior synergy with your EL84 WC power tubes. That would be the choice I would recommend. The highs and especially the soundstage are excellent with this rectifier.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Re: UFO2 tube rolling
Reply #2 - 04/03/23 at 19:35:41

Quote:
With your amp and tubes, the Wathem 5AR4-WC rectifier tube would provide the superior synergy with your EL84 WC power tubes. That would be the choice I would recommend. The highs and especially the soundstage are excellent with this rectifier.

Second that!

Once you have the rectifier in place and have allowed enough time for the burn in you may consider trying the CryoTone 6SN7-WC in place of the ECC88-WC.  In my CSP3-A I have the 5AR4-WC, ECC88-WC outputs and the 6SN7-WC input.  Next I'm going to try the 6SN7-WC in the input of my UFO25 when I get it back, it has just been processed at Wathen Audiophile.

A word of caution... an immediate discernible difference may not be to your liking at first.  Give it 25 hours especially with the 6SN7-WC.  Then try a couple of different adapters.  The adapters can make a huge difference as I've discovered.

I hope to have my UFO25 back in a couple of weeks then I'll be in a better position to comment further.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print