Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 02:05:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to remove and replace knobs on Torii MKIV (Read 1418 times)
thevinoman

How to remove and replace knobs on Torii MKIV
03/31/23 at 17:28:40

I would like to remove and replace the current gold knobs as pictured on my recently acquired Torii MKIV.  Need to know how to remove them (simply pull them off?) as there is no set screw.  Obviously, I don't want to damage the top of the chassis.  I want to replace them with Chickenhead knobs and would like to know the shaft size I need.  Thanks for any help.  I'm going to post this in the Torii MKIV sub-forum as well, but there's not a lot of activity there......

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: How to remove and replace knobs on Torii MKIV
Reply #1 - 04/01/23 at 15:36:20

I have not used any without set screws, so hesitated to try to help, hoping someone with that experience might. The knobs I have are very close to 1/4", I think sold as 1/4" but some are probably metric equivalents. All with set screws. And I have used the stock potentiometers and several stepped attenuators.

Having no set screw, do you think there is a sort of spring mechanism running the length of the connection to the shaft that puts pressure on the connection? Don't know. Hopefully no one glued them... just have no experience with ones without screws, but I guess I would be inclined to carefully, with a little side to side pressure, pull or pry one upward and see if it starts to give in a way that "feels" right, not too forceful.

Hopefully someone with more conclusive info will respond.

That said, I suppose they may be stock knobs, and if so, I would call Sarah and she can probably help you.

Good luck. I don't like those gold ones on the MK!V much myself.

EDIT: I just went to the workshop to check the Blue Torii and ZStage, both with gold knobs, and they all have set screws too... Undecided

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #2 - 04/01/23 at 17:19:37

I have used many different knobs in my builds over the years. Usually, what is offered is a metric 6mm size, and then 6.3mm (1/4" equivalent). Yes, you can drill the small hole out if that is what you have.
Now for removing the original knob, you may find that they are a tight fit. It is a careful process, using a protective piece of thin plastic on the faceplate surface and some kind of leverage device, preferably forked, to leverage the knob up and off. It might even be a good idea to use TWO pieces of plastic so they can slip between themselves as the knob is raised. I seriously doubt that the knobs are glued. A "D" style shaft will have a spring inside to maintain tension, but I also seriously doubt that these are more than a 1/4"round shaft type potentiometer.
When using a replacement, I almost always prefer a knob with a set screw or two.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/01/23 at 17:31:24

Also, if you have to pry them up, under the knob there is most likely a washer and nut securing the potentiometer or stepped attenuator to the amp top. This might help once the knob is up enough for prying them off without hurting the top plate surface.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/01/23 at 19:19:56

Don't tell my wife, but I used a fork once to do this on an old receiver. Like others said, protect the surface with something. The tangs on the fork will likely bend before anything "breaks". One other tip, work your way around the knob.

Auto parts stores sell "spudgers", strong plastic with forked ends to remove interiors panels, push pins, etc.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 04/01/23 at 21:37:26

Good advice guys! Gives me a few more ideas about such things. No matter what I still get a little nervous even having my bases covered with stuff like this.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
thevinoman

Reply #6 - 04/01/23 at 22:47:23

I'm going to head to an auto repair store and see what they've got.  Thanks for the advice so far from everyone.  They do look like stock knobs, no set screws to be seen.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print