Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 11:00:32 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZROCK2 Tube Regulation (Read 1685 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

ZROCK2 Tube Regulation
03/30/23 at 16:29:01

Can I get some help on this?

What is tube regulation?
And, why would I want it?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ZROCK2 Tube Regulation
Reply #1 - 03/30/23 at 16:32:44

A tube regulator holds voltage constant at a specified value. Long story short: it will clean up the electrical signal coming to the ZROCK2 tube and hold it steady, cleaning it up so to speak. I have two ZROCK2 with this option and they are very detailed and transparent, perhaps a significant bit more than the one I have without this option.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/30/23 at 17:03:49

My amp has tube regulation on the inputs and outputs.

The Mini Torii when first offered had a switch allowing one to turn the input voltage regulator tube on and off. If you turned off the tube regulation it did not sound as good as with the tube regulation; as a result, Steve omitted this switch because nobody in their right mind, with working ears would switch the tube regulator off.

So tube regulation is real and it contributes a lot to the sound

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/30/23 at 22:43:40

I would just add that I think Steve uses tube regulators in a special way, wired in series I believe. And this running the power "across" the tube accentuated the noise filtering effects in his discovery testing. How I am recalling it anyway. Hope I got that right.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/27/23 at 15:20:47

So, a follow up question: With the tube regulation mod, does one need to overthink stock vs. aftermarket power cable for the ZROCK2?

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 04/27/23 at 15:27:31

In my opinion, a good power cable always makes a difference, voltage regulation mod or not. Maybe even more so: with the mod you may hear the benefits of a great power cable. more.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #6 - 04/27/23 at 15:36:35

Thanks for the suggestion.  I returned to the original power cord in the ZRock, but same issue.  Interesting; however, I had used a different iFi power cord before the problem began.

I also checked the fuse; it's OK.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 04/27/23 at 15:40:28

I wish I had a ready answer. Are both switches, in the front and back, fully in one position or the other? Also make sure that the power cord is fully inserted on both the power plug end and the IEC inlet on the ZROCK2--does the tube light up? If these are all copacetic perhaps it's best to contact Sarah to see if you can get time with Steve on this.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #8 - 04/27/23 at 16:35:16

Thanks all, PROBLEM FIXED.

I had the output cables connected to inputs and the input cables connected to outputs.  

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 04/27/23 at 16:41:31

Ah! Been there, done that. Glad that it was corrected so well and easily.

IP Logged
Beggermse
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 05/03/23 at 05:08:12

A voltage regulator tube is an electronic component used as a shunt regulator to keep a constant voltage at a predetermined level.
bitlife

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print