Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:21:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kevin Gray All Tube Recording Studio (Read 1952 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Kevin Gray All Tube Recording Studio
03/25/23 at 09:11:14

While I was searching through Acoustic Sounds website today to buy some more vinyl… I came across this album “Kiersten Etkins - Shapes and Sound” that’s going to be featured with Kevin Gray’s new all tube recording studio.
Here’s the video where he talks about his new studio.  Needless to say I pre-ordered the album so when I get it in the house I’ll post my thoughts.  

https://youtu.be/M4_dtXZoygE

The take away from this video…. This guy is a genius!! Enjoy the video.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: Kevin Gray Tube  Recording video
Reply #1 - 03/25/23 at 10:47:35

Wow. Now that's doing analog recording right. So glad Kevin Gray has started this new record label and is such a meticulous, patient guy.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/25/23 at 11:28:32

Holy smokes the second pressing is sold out it seems. I got an e-mail the other day that it was in stock. I did get the second pressing. Not really impressive music wise IMO. Great recording soundwise.
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1679568868

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/25/23 at 11:41:10

The album is very quiet damn near digital quiet. I wish other pressers would pay as much attention to detail as Kevin.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 03/25/23 at 15:15:04

John,

Based your initial impression….. it’s a shame that the album was a bit of a let down music wise.  I’m going to buy the album because I want to hear the quality of what an all tube recording and mastering sounds like. I’m definitely looking forward to hear what comes from his studio in the future.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/25/23 at 16:46:47

Kevin mentioned that there will likely be two releases per year, then up to four later on. Given that musicians have to be recorded in his studio, I wonder if any main stay artists, under contract, will be able to cut an album there. Hopefully they will find a way.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Re: Kevin Gray All Tube Recording Studio
Reply #6 - 03/26/23 at 10:53:02

It will be interesting to see what is up next at Kevin's studio "Hackensack West".

I did buy this as a sampler for the electronics used in mastering/pressing. To be fair to the artist, it was done in one take with mostly originals from Kirsten. Kevin may have been pushy to get a wrap after 20 years building the system. I've only listened to it once with a critical ear on reproduction. It may grow on me.

John

IP Logged
bramar
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/27/23 at 03:00:55

Super cool. Not an album guy here, but really enjoyed the video. Great to know that tube tech throughout the recording process is back even just a tiny bit. This will make some very very happy.

Brad

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 04/06/23 at 03:52:50

Iwas to the point of buying older albums partly for that reason. I was also surprised at how well some people kept their albums. Many of them sounded new.
As many of you out there, we have all bought that one new release that made us wonder why we bothered. Remastering or music taken from a digital source in some cases, and maybe other factors as well end up being less than advertised. The music OTOH may be really great if we can suffer an ill attempt/price of a recording.
Yes, I know, recordings can be all over the place regardless of manufacturer, or mastering. Kind of like a box of chocolates.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/20/23 at 07:00:45

Saw this article and thought of the Vinyl Decwarians. I don't know anything about vinyl, but I hope that this is informative:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/rhino-launches-audiophile-vinyl-series-with...

Randy

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/20/23 at 12:11:39

Interesting Randy. Thanks for the heads up. The Cars are a favorite of mine. Most likely try to snag a copy up when available.

Speaking of Decwarians, I met up with Sean at the Vinyl Man's warehouse yesterday! We spent more time talking audio war stories then searching for vinyl. It is great placing faces to the names around here.

John

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 05/21/23 at 19:38:23

John is a good ambassador to Decware, he did his best to convince Willy to try a Decware amp. Like John said, it's great putting a face to a name. I hope your back is ok after moving those boxes!

Mofi StudioDeck, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print