Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 16:51:04 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blast from the deep past! (Read 1439 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Blast from the deep past!
03/25/23 at 03:32:40

I found two pictures from before we had good digital cameras.  One is of my very first zen amp set up in my listening room.  Would have been around 1996/1997.  

This one is the shop I set up after building the first dozen on my back porch.  We were heavy into speaker re-cone work right when the Zen Triode amplifier started to take off.

Brings back some amazing memories!  This would have been right after I hired DeVon who later I married.  We heated this shop with wood and used to make coffee and breakfast on the wood burner.  Her desk was in the far right corner.  There were 1100 speakers hanging from the ceiling.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Re: Blast from the deep past!
Reply #1 - 03/25/23 at 05:16:10

Hi, Steve
Memory lane is often a delight!
Thanks for sharing.

Brian

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/25/23 at 12:11:11

Going a little further back to 1978 a couple of pictures of my system setup.

It took two rooms. The turntable stand was placed just above the intersection of the house foundation and main floor support beam. It sounded impressive for what it was. Just a few of years before CD players hit the mainstream.

Your tribute of wood fired coffee brings back good feelings and memories when spending time at hunting camps.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/25/23 at 12:41:59

Thanks for the great memories of your old systems. I'll have to dig through my old black & white photo negatives for some shots. Yes, it was the days color film 😁. No digital back then, just analog, reel to reel tape & AM radio.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/25/23 at 12:54:28

Only AM radio HK? Now you must be going way way back! Wink
I remember approaching and maybe surpassing that three dimensional sound we have become accustom to with Steve's systems on those special late nights listening to FM broadcasts in that room.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/25/23 at 16:15:33

Such a sweet trip down memory lane…thanks for sharing!

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/25/23 at 18:30:12

On Adams Street?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 03/26/23 at 18:07:22

So this is the space where I first talked to you on the phone in that era, and probably where the first amp I bought, Zen amp #27, was likely built.

(That amp is still in use with a friend of mine in  Austin.)

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print