Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 01:41:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lots of trouble posting to ‘What’s Spinning’ (Read 2382 times)
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Lots of trouble posting to ‘What’s Spinning’
03/19/23 at 19:37:33

Guys,

I constantly have trouble posting an entry to ‘What’s Spinning’ on my iPhone. It times out before I can post, and as a result, have to start over.

Last night, I tried to say Hi to DD and John in my post, but after 4 or 5 tries, I gave up and was happy when i was finally able to post a photo of what I was listening to.

Does anyone else have an issue doing this on an iPhone? The ‘What’s Spinning’ thread is the only place this happens.

I wonder if it would help to go back and delete several years worth of entries? After all, there are many more entries in this than any other thread (Hi Lon Wink)

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Re: Lots of trouble posting to ‘What’s Spinning’
Reply #1 - 03/19/23 at 20:00:41

I have the same issue, Geno. Sometimes it works, sometimes I give up. Trying again later sometimes helps. Doesn’t matter which thread I’m in. Using an iPhone too.
Sometimes I’ll post something short, then go back using “modify” to complete my post. I don’t have any issues when I modify a post.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 03/19/23 at 20:01:00

Is it because "What's spinning" is the only forum to which you post pictures? I don't post from my iPhone except very occasionally and then only if the post is very brief. But uploading pictures even from my desktop can be slow, that would be my first guess as to why you might be having problems.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 03/19/23 at 20:52:39

I can't help because I don't have an iPhone or any phone that connects to the internet--hope to never have one--and I use my laptop for all postings, and have very few issues--it may take up to 30 seconds to actually post, but it does.

If you think the length of this thread is an issue (I personally don't think that would be a factor but don't know for sure) why not start another one, name it what ever you want, and then post on a new one and see if that helps.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/19/23 at 21:16:14

Just happened to me. Doesn't occur every time, but it happens site wide.

Just now I was trying to move the cursor to correct spelling and it locked up and Safari crashed. Other times I was trying to zoom in or out and it locks up. Brings back the old days of software testing.

Mofi StudioDeck, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #5 - 03/19/23 at 22:42:09

Quote:
Is it because "What's spinning" is the only forum to which you post pictures?

No, because I often start off with a comment, before posting the photo. It can crash before I type a full sentence.  Although, I have already copied from imgbb, and am ready to paste it.

Quote:
If you think the length of this thread is an issue (I personally don't think that would be a factor but don't know for sure) why not start another one, name it what ever you want, and then post on a new one and see if that helps.

Worth a try, Lon. How bout ‘The New What’s Spinning’ ?

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 03/19/23 at 22:54:44

What browser are you using Geno?

My other thought is, even if you aren't loading an image you still need to download all the other images that have been posted in the thread (or the current page of the thread). My experience is Chrome is more stable for this site than Safari, but it also could be your phone is struggling with all the other images.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #7 - 03/19/23 at 23:16:51

This is why I posed this question. I was hoping for simple advice. I had not even considered trying a different browser (I’m using Safari). I constantly have trouble getting my mind to exist in this century.

I will try Chrome, and see if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/20/23 at 00:07:04

I found the log file, interpreting it is a whole different game...

"termination" : {"flags":0,"code":2343432205,"namespace":"<0xA>","details":["scene-update watchdog transgression: application<com.apple.mobilesafari>:39952 exhausted real (wall clock) time allowance of 10.00 seconds","ProcessVisibility: Foreground","ProcessState: Running","WatchdogEvent: scene-update","WatchdogVisibility: Foreground","WatchdogCPUStatistics: (","\"Elapsed total CPU time (seconds): 2.180 (user 1.370, system 0.810), 3% CPU\",","\"Elapsed application CPU time (seconds): 0.013, 0% CPU\"",")"]},

And the very last line:
"This is a watchdog-triggered termination event, and not expected to be well-represented in the legacy crash format"

There are 1485 lines in there, lots of them mention time. Basically the os is waiting for an input it is expecting and isn't getting it in time...then POOF.

I'll try and dig a bit deeper later on.

Mofi StudioDeck, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #9 - 03/20/23 at 00:09:09

Well, I was able to get a single post off using Chrome, but it crashed on me the next attempt.

Lon, do you mind if I start a NEW ‘What’s Spinning’ section?  Or if you’d rather try something different, let me know. I don’t want to disrupt a thread this old.

Thanks,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #10 - 03/20/23 at 00:12:57

Wow, Sean. It seems something is afoul.

This only happens to me on my iPhone. No issue on my PC at work.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #11 - 03/20/23 at 00:27:28

The forum software is very very old, so it isn't surprising there are problems when you are trying to use it on a phone. I read the forum all the time with no issues from my (cheap) iPhone using Chrome, but when I want to post something I usually use the desktop. FWIW.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 03/20/23 at 00:57:15

Start a new one! Maybe that will work better. (I'll probably carry on with the old--but I think I post different music than most anyway, and I have no issues posting there.)

Safari was becoming incompatible with some banking et al sites I use so a couple of years ago I moved to Brave. Works well.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #13 - 03/20/23 at 01:29:00

CAJames hit the nail on the head with the with using the Chrome browser.  I mainly use my IPAD running Chrome and have zero issues.  Pictures get uploaded almost instantaneously.  

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #14 - 03/20/23 at 02:21:57

FWIW the way I read this:

Quote:
Posted by: Sean      Posted on: Today at 16:07:04

"termination" : {"flags":0,"code":2343432205,"namespace":"<0xA>","details":["scene-update watchdog transgression: application<com.apple.mobilesafari>:39952 exhausted real (wall clock) time allowance of 10.00 seconds","ProcessVisibility: Foreground","ProcessState: Running","WatchdogEvent: scene-update","WatchdogVisibility: Foreground"

is that Safari has a 10 second timer for something to happen, and it was exceeded.
This:
Quote:
WatchdogCPUStatistics: (","\"Elapsed total CPU time (seconds): 2.180 (user 1.370, system 0.810), 3% CPU\",","\"Elapsed application CPU time (seconds): 0.013, 0% CPU\"",")"]},

tells me you were using very little actual CPU, so the browser was just waiting. Either because the network was slow, or the webserver was slow, or there was just some incompatibility with what your browser wanted and what the website was giving it. Given that the date for the message board software is 2008ish I just feel like posters who expect a flawless experience on their phone are likely to be disappointed.

Also, FWIW, I just tried posting to "What's Spinning" from my phone and it crashed as well.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 03/20/23 at 09:34:46

Hope I did not break it with the flurry of activity a couple days ago 😅

I don't use Safari and never had an issue with time outs when posting from any device(Android, I-Pad, PC)

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 03/20/23 at 23:11:54

Well I found nothing good in that log file. One thing that did look suspicious, the browser was trying to "resample" 1 image 1400 times. No way to determine which image.

CAJames is right, 2008 forum code and 2022 phone is bound to cause issues. It is what it is. A different forum I was on that ran old software had issues with text gremlins. Using quotation marks and other odd characters would wipe out your reply from the offending character onward.

Interestingly, I tried to reply to the guy with the new 300b. As soon as the reply page came up Safari went nuts reloading the page over and over until it gave me an error, "A problem repeatedly occurred on..." I've seen that before on this site, but not for a long time.

I'm going to give Brave Browser a go and see if that works better.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/20/23 at 23:16:39

Brave Browser bombed as well.

Just by chance those having the errors, do you use an ad blocker?

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18 - 03/21/23 at 19:41:00

I started a new thread 'What Have You Been Listening to Lately', and so far, have not had any issues posting anything - especially photos.

Give it a try, and see what happens Smiley

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #19 - 03/23/23 at 15:25:10

Geno,

The old 'What's spinning' thread has rolled over to a new page. I bet if you try posting to it now you won't have any problems. If you're up for it give it a try.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 03/23/23 at 15:32:12

Placing a instance of Chrome search browser on your IPhone's  app screen might solve the problem. Never did like using Safari because it seemed to have many quirks.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print