Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:21:32 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wish there was a CSP3 with remote (Read 4658 times)
Sai

Wish there was a CSP3 with remote
03/19/23 at 06:50:27

I know Decware sells the ZTPRE with an option for a remote. Wondering if there would ever be consideration to make a remote control option for the CSP3? I’d be all over it if it existed I think…. Love the Rogue RP-7 I use, but not gonna lie, the remote control it has appeals to my laziness A LOT.

Wonder if it’s something anyone’s heard might be considered in the future for CSP3?

Zu Soul Supreme V, Torii MKV 25th Anniversary Mods, Rogue Audio RP7, Aurender N100H, Denafrips Ares II, Nottingham Space 294 w. Shelter Harmony MC, AllNic H-1202 Phono
  IP Logged
bramar
Ex Member

Re: Wish there was a CSP3 with remote
Reply #1 - 03/19/23 at 07:58:35

To me, part of the charm is not having a remote. It would ruin the tactile experience and the holistic nature of it all.

Brad

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/19/23 at 12:56:30

Agree with Brad for the most part. A Zrock with remote tapering would be welcomed! Might have to search a third party implication. Or, borrow from Sean’s model Cool

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Sai

Reply #3 - 03/19/23 at 20:23:11

Yup, and hence the need for it to be an optional upgrade (or downgrade for the purists 😂). I’m sure the more practical reasons it isn’t there is that it would need more space to fit in an Alps volume control, remote control receiver, etc.

At that point it wouldn’t all fit into the CSP3’s current form factor.

Zu Soul Supreme V, Torii MKV 25th Anniversary Mods, Rogue Audio RP7, Aurender N100H, Denafrips Ares II, Nottingham Space 294 w. Shelter Harmony MC, AllNic H-1202 Phono
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 03/19/23 at 20:57:23

Sai wrote on 03/19/23 at 20:23:11:
Yup, and hence the need for it to be an optional upgrade (or downgrade for the purists 😂). I’m sure the more practical reasons it isn’t there is that it would need more space to fit in an Alps volume control, remote control receiver, etc.

At that point it wouldn’t all fit into the CSP3’s current form factor.

This is it. No room at the inn for the remote parts. 99% sure the space limitation would be prohibitive.

My source and the ZTPRE have remotes. . . I use those, though rather infrequently. I generally play an entire cd and make most balance or volume changes by hand.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Earthbound
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/20/23 at 11:17:48

I didn’t have a remote for 25 years. It actually made me not turn on the stereo sometimes if I knew there were people around and I would have to make constant adjustments. I have one now and I will never own another preamp without one. I make volume adjustments often.
I am on the list for a csp3, which does not have one. I plan on using it for a bedside headphone rig. So not as concerned.

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 03/22/23 at 05:37:00

In the Decware ecosystem - other than the ZTPre - the only other way that I know of to get remote control functionality is to get the Decware Swithbox and get the remote control option. If you don't need the extra connectivity of the Switchbox, it is an expensive price to pay for merely remote capability though.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Ghostship
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/22/23 at 07:35:13

Sai, I hear you. It is painful to admit that I've grown lazy enough to tell Google to turn the lights on and off rather than getting up and walking 6 feet to the light switch. My Freya+ preamp with remote has been good enough until my Sarah 300B arrives. I may no longer need a preamp to make my source sound great, but if I do my plan was to ultimately replace it with the ZTPre, but would definitely go with the CSP3 instead if it came with a remote.

Paul Pang Quad Network Switch & Fiber
MSB Premier DAC
Zen Sarah SEWE300B
Cryotone Bundle
Tekton 2-12 Perfect SET Speakers w/ BE Tweeters and Cap & Wiring upgrades
Tekton 2-10 Sub
  IP Logged
Joey

Reply #8 - 03/22/23 at 12:39:13

I had Aric install a Khozmo 62 step remote on my 300B,,, love it! No way I would go back to a manual.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 04/14/23 at 18:10:53

I find the Schitt SAGA S perfectly adequate for a remote preamp. At $299 why not try it? https://www.schiit.com/products/saga-s

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 04/14/23 at 23:31:46

The first problem with it is it’s not multiple thousand $$$.

IP Logged
Tooppy
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 04/16/23 at 22:38:37

I won't go without remote ! That was my first criteria of choice when I bought my DAC/Pre. When you stream, the sound level from one track to another isn't constant and you need to set it all the time.
You may also have to mute quickly.
Without remote, you better have your gear at hand beside you.
So yes I agree 100% with the orginal demand of this thread.

IFI Streamer - RME_ADI2_DAC_FS - SE84_UFO-2,1 - LII_F15 in Karlsonator DIY - Decware interconnect - DIY speaker cable - Thorens TD166MKII_Grace G707+A&R p77+Schiit Mani - FirstWatt F5 - Klipsch KG3 - Rogers LS3/5A - Leak Sandwich modified - Grado SR125X modified
  IP Logged
Beehoney
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 04/24/23 at 09:05:42

Of course, in the future it will appear.

IP Logged
Moeller
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 05/08/23 at 16:43:30

Yeah, I have a same idea

IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #14 - 05/09/23 at 14:40:55

I am exclusively a streamer.  With the evolution of high quality streaming services I gave up on physical media.

In one room the all Decware system has the CSP within easy reach so a remote volume control is not needed.  Conversely, in the larger room with the Chi-Fi 300B amp, all the equipment is across the room.  This new amp includes a remote volume/mute control.

I am somewhat handicapped and getting up frequently to adjust the volume is painful.

I'm sure that many would find the additional circuitry to be a bad thing.  But, for this old music lover it is a God send.

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #15 - 05/09/23 at 15:24:07

I totally get the appeal of a remote, esp. if one is mobility challenged. But, without really trying I gave up a preamp with a remote and DAC with a remote for a (non-Decware) preamp and DAC/DDC with no remotes over the last few years. There was certainly a bit of an adjustment but once I got over the initial shock I don't really mind having to get up to make adjustments. I have to get up to swap CDs anyway, which is my major source of music. I don't stream but I do play files on a laptop (with a remote app) and having the entire library at my finger tips is certainly nice, but in general I'd say going back to turning the volume knob and pressing buttons manually (I suspect what a lot of us did when we got started in the hobby) hasn't been a burden for me.

Everyone is different, and if no remote is deal breaker for you I'm not trying to change your mind. But if you're on the fence it is certainly possible to have a happy healthy relationship with your stereo in the 21st century without a remote control. JMO/YMMV/FWIW and all that.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
CoryMest
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 05/11/23 at 09:15:44

It's nice suggestion

IP Logged
graydavis
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 05/16/23 at 17:21:00

Here is the topic I want to ask.

IP Logged
annamartinez
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 05/16/23 at 17:26:00

I also use CSP3.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 05/17/23 at 16:48:43

I would recommend Steve's Switch box with the remote option added to it. Since the less complex pieces are now on a separate build line they are moving MUCH FASTER than the amplifiers

IP Logged
1stwattlife
Verified Member

Reply #20 - 08/20/23 at 19:42:14

This seems like the perfect time and place to bring up one of my favorite tweaks that is on my list to implement at some point. I admit I only skimmed the last half of the comments on this thread, but I am pretty sure this specifically has not been mentioned...

Some years back I ran into a post on another forum showing the work around for a remote on an silver faced receiver. This is an external mod and is in no way adding to the signal path or taking up space in the box.

The poster used arduino, or maybe raspberry pi to run a motorized actuator mounted to the side of the unit one way or another with a rubber band/ belt around the large knob of the volume control. using a remote to control the motorized wheel. The down side is one more set of circuitry and a motor on your power line for the unit, but this could be easily mitigated these days by using a rechargeable battery power source.

I love the idea of adding modern funcionality to vintage/ vintage style equipment... I would probably add a steampunk element with some extra gears and suck even if only for decor.

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 08/20/23 at 20:13:45

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/185162/remote-control-add-on-for-vintage-...
equipment

I had it bookmarked. My “analog” remote stick is still working out, but it gets in the way of the room when not in use. Ultimately I’d rather have something like this.

Mofi StudioDeck, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
1stwattlife
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 08/20/23 at 20:41:42

Sean! YES! Excellent!!!
I imagine a small footprint steel plate in a wood base, either heavy enough to not move, or temporarily attachable to whatever surface its on. That type of thing... Thanks for the photo reference!

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 08/20/23 at 21:00:26

I was also thinking about  tearing apart remote control cars. With a 5yr old I step on one every other day. First hurdle with this idea is how to regulate the motor, with most of them they are either off or 100%. That would ok turning down quick, but going up could be a disaster. I’m sure it would easier if I knew some basic electronics.

Mofi StudioDeck, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print