Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:54:21 

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Lii Platinum10 drivers (Read 18528 times)
PDXDrew

Lii Platinum10 drivers
03/17/23 at 21:26:29

My persistence finally paid off.
Several months ago I came across a YouTube video from HiFi Cave about the new Lii Platinum10 drivers, which gave me a sever case of audiophiliaobsessionitis.  All I knew, was that I needed pair BAD. After more searching I saw they were offered up for sale on the EU, and Canadian sights, but not offered in the US. So- I emailed Lii and requested a pair. Unfortunately, I never heard back. I'm a patient guy, so I waited a few weeks and sent them another email. Still no reply. Afterwards I came across their FB page and posted the question of when they'll be available in the US. They replied that if I'm interested, I could buy a pair. I promptly responded with my CC number. That was back in late January. At that time they said they had a few extra pairs and would ship mine out within a few days, and would provide tracking info. A few days came and went with no tracking. After some back and forth emails and a couple of hiccups with shipping issues, the speakers finally arrived YESTERDAY!!!!

All I can say is the wait was well worth it.

From watching the HFC video he stated the drivers would not fit in the existing cabinets. The Platinum drivers have a back plate that offsets the huge magnet. There are five posts used as spacers for the plate. The back plate and posts interfere with the center hole in the existing cabinets, And their pattern is the same as the existing screw hole locations. Nothing a router couldn't handle. I took a strait edge and stuck a line from one existing crew hole to the next so each screw hole had a V shaped line on both sides of it. I then cutout the material on the inside of the V shape including the existing screw hole with a router. I tapped off the outside surface of the cabinet so the router plate wouldn't scratch the front face of the cabinet and stared the modification. The drivers dropped right in, I wired them up and enjoyed.

EVERTHYING is a big step up from the Silver10 drivers. Deeper, more articulate bass. Midrange is huge. The high end- oh my, Oh so sweet. I immediately put on DireStraits "You and Your Friend", a song I am very familiar with, and was blown away. At the end of the song, in the right channel, there are some very light, distant cymbal strikes, that I have never heard before. Even though they were off in the distance they came across very metallic. My wife walked into the room and immediately commented on how much better they sound. We have an elliptical at the back end of the same room. She was going to get a workout in, and when she does she always wears EarPods. I typically ask her if she wants the stereo on and she always says "no- I'm fine with my EarPods" Angry .. However- this time she wanted the stereo on and kept commenting on how good it sounded. Now I wonder if I have a new partner in crime, or if I'll ever get the sweet spot on the couch again?

For those of you who are on the fence- DO IT.

I received an email that Steve if working on a new cabinet for these.
Although the existing cabinets sound very good, from what I understand to get optimum bass, these drivers require a lot more volume.

Any updated would be greatly appreciated. I will put an order in as soon as they are available.

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Re: Lii Platinum10 drivers
Reply #1 - 03/17/23 at 22:31:36

Those are beauiful!
And I love how every time you create an image you have a fisheye selfie of your surroundings!

I have not even attempted to enclose my Lii Audio drivers. I use mine in an open, flat baffle.

Keep us posted as to how it goes.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 03/18/23 at 12:07:36

I been following this development over at Lii's FF page. That heavy frame makes a resounding statement and your preliminary listening thoughts back it up. This might be an end game driver for me. Don't seem to be good for open baffle use though. Will be interesting on what cabinet Steve conjures up for this driver!

Ain't it great when the spouse makes an about face and spends time listening along side? Mine came down the other day and sat over a couple of LP sides with very positive comments of the sound.

Cheers!

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #3 - 03/19/23 at 05:33:03

After about 15 hrs my impression of these is, they have the same signature sound as the Silver10 drivers, but with more of it. They are very transparent. The highs and lows are more extended, and cleaner. The midrange has more density. All doing this without focusing on any one frequency range. These drivers are faster and more dynamic.The music has more pop to it without being in your face. There is a sense of ease and not at all being forced.
I don't get any congestion, or confusion on more complex music.
When listening to "Trains" by Porcupine Tree on the S10 the music sounded good, but would get a little confused at times. There is absolutely no confusion with the P10's. They handle the layers and density of the music perfectly. Can't wait to get more time on these. They are impressing the heck out of me, and I thought my system sounded pretty good before.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 03/20/23 at 12:26:56

Lii is not as forth coming as Steve. Lii did not publish any frequency response for the PT10s. Maybe because of the backlash over the FF15s Shocked
The impedance graph tells the story though.
The first graph below is from the Silver 10s. Pay attention to the impedance response as compared with frequency plot.

This is the graph of the PT10 impedance.

The chrome bulb is another improvement in the PT10 that surely help tame the dip between 200-11k and peak between 6k-12k.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
MattyW
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 03/28/23 at 02:56:33

Awesome to finally read some user impressions on these. Despite having one of the first 3 pair in the wild I'm still awaiting completion of some humongous 467L bass reflex cabinets for mine. They'll get the in the end and ultimately be completely worth it. Far superior build than I could ever do myself. Be a big upgrade from the Silver-6 in Fieke back loaded horn cabs I currently run.

IP Logged
MattyW
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 03/29/23 at 23:37:12

Haha, here I am thinking the top photo looks like the floor in my place and that looks like my orange shirt reflected in the diffuser...... Then I realised the top picture before installing in cabinets is from my unboxening  ;)

Seems I can't post the link to my thread till I've made 2 normal posts  :)

IP Logged
MattyW
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 03/29/23 at 23:38:23

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/30/23 at 00:53:31

From MattyW's post. A preveiw of Steve's cabinet design for the P10.

The frequency response:

I am beginning to salivate!

IP Logged
MattyW
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 03/30/23 at 00:59:28

Yeah, I reckon the Decware BLH will be the ultimate PT-10 driver implementation. Wish I had space for such a beast.  ;)

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/30/23 at 01:18:28

I'm coming up with 13 1/2" wide by 27" deep by 57 3/8" high. Not so bad of a foot print as compared to a bass reflex implementation. The P10 looks to be about 3' center from floor. A bit high.

John

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #11 - 03/30/23 at 02:03:01

Curses Matty!!! And John, you aren’t helping either!

Y’all are planting this seed in my brain. These drivers look amazing!  I’ve had the Crystal 10’s in open baffles, matched with the W-15. Love this combo, but it does not take much for the upgrade bug to bite.

Opinions on replacing my Crystals with the Platinums in my open baffles, with W-15 support?

Dammit, this is gonna be expensive Smiley

Best,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
MattyW
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 03/30/23 at 02:16:27

Definitely would need to bi-amp for the W15 as they're way less efficient but crossover point should be pretty similar to Silver-10 for OB use around 400Hz or so. Hifi Cave tried it OB with W15's and said the performance was breathtaking so I've no reason to think it won't work exceptionally well   Wink

This will be expensive yes.... But possibly the best money you ever spend in terms of speakers. On another note put some silly money into an Audio-GD R7HE Mk2 + OCXO clock. Speakers will end up costing a bit more but not much more.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #13 - 03/30/23 at 02:24:55

Hey Matty- I owe some royalty fees. I started posting pics, after I installed the drivers, and wanted one more view to show. I remembered you had some pictures you posted on StereoNet, from down under. Thanks for your help on that.

Best,
Drew

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #14 - 03/30/23 at 02:37:52

Guys,

Are the hole cut-out for these the same size as the Silver 10?

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
MattyW
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 03/30/23 at 03:06:00

Lol.... No worries PDXDrew, I found it more amusing than anything else. I've been avidly following the development of the PT-10 ever since hearing they were experimenting with Neodymium magnets and hounded poor Leo at Lii Song for information right up until I sourced my pair in January. I must say I'm jealous of your being able to hear these as I've been dying to hear a pair since I caught wind of their development.

Since that time I've been trying to arrange cabinets and mine are coming along closer all the time. The Hifi Cave review hinted things were in the direction I hoped for and your comments go even further towards filling a hole inside until I can hear mine.

In the meantime, now they've had a few more hours use please tell us more. I need more descriptions of their sonics   Grin Roll Eyes

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #16 - 03/30/23 at 03:45:56

All I can say is every time I sit down and listen to them I get a smile on my face. Their uncanny realism , expansive soundstage, and clarity are nothing short of stunning. The thing I really like is these can play pretty darn loud without any break-up. A good friend of mine whom has a pair of Zu Soul Supremes listened to these for the first time this last weekend and he was ready to take them home with him.

IP Logged
MattyW
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 03/30/23 at 04:04:58

Yes, Lii have really come in leaps and bounds in the last 5 years or so. The Silver were a significant improvement over my original Fast-10S..... These I expect to be my final speaker purchase and the speaker build I've coming reflects that in terms of overall cost. Far more than I could ever justify.

I'm hoping Lii Song can get some speakers with these drivers installed into the hands of a major audio mag like Stereophile as they really aught to be rewarded for their progress. Not much on the market can compete at this level.   Grin

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #18 - 03/30/23 at 19:34:20

And especially at this cost.
Just anxious for Steve's new cabinets.
These sound really good in the original Origin cabinets. Increase in mid and low bass over the S10 drivers. I'm sure Steve's design will improve on the low bass even more.

IP Logged
RaidersFan
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 03/31/23 at 04:15:17

I hope there is a completed speaker available from/through Steve and Lii soon.  I have some Crystal 10 references that sound pretty nice.  Can't imagine how much better a completed speaker with this driver would be.

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #20 - 03/31/23 at 04:22:40

Today a new power cord landed on my doorstep, so of course I had to put it together and give it a listen. Now please bare with me, my intension here is not to send this thread in a different direction, but to give an idea of how well the speakers respond to upstream changes.

I've been reading a lot about clean power and how much difference it makes. There's so many different directions to go. Portable powered generator? New fuse? New PC? Or do I send money on a new rack, or stabilization. Or anything else I have discovered yet.

I ended up going with a Furutech DPS 4.1 cable and their NCF R plug on both ends. I did it DIY, and even though it turn out to be very rewarding, it was a big PITA to put together. Definitely not a knock on the product or the company, because the parts are all built very well. You can tell pride goes into their engineering and execution of the products.

What this cable did was put another gear into energizing this system. It removed a vail and welcomed in a whole newness to the sound. It smoothed everything out so I'm able to turn the volume up without sounding necessarily that much louder, it's much more dense. The music is so much cleaner- clarity is the key word. Separation, dynamics micro and macro, depth, width and height of the soundstage expanded immensely. I couldn't;t be happier with this change.

The thing about the P10's is that they are sensitive enough to really let changes like this shine though. They're neutrality and ability to remove themselves effort he equation is remarkable.

Happy listening everyone-  

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #21 - 04/01/23 at 16:05:53

Well, I placed an order for the P-10’s the other day. They are on back order, so it may be a while before I get them.

They will replace my Crystal 10’s (which I like very much!) in my open baffles, paired with W-15’s.

Not sure, how these will perform in this configuration. Time will tell.

If I don’t like them in my open baffles, someone will get a good deal on a used pair. Stay tuned…

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #22 - 04/02/23 at 00:53:06

OK- I just got sucked up in a time warp and was transported to The Hirsch Center NY in 2014 to witness Alexis Cole record her album "Kiss in the Dark". This is a spacious hall that is perfectly fitted for this style of music. I've never really listened much to swing music, and this is the first time I've heard this album, or artist. It seems like any time I would try to visit music I wasn't familure with, I would have listened for a bit, but moved on after a song, or two. But, with what I am hearing out of these speakers, I find myself sitting through the whole performance, and enjoying every bit of it.

Her voice is perfectly center and comes out from the speakers like a good hug. The whole venue is portrayed in realism.The bass has punch and just sings. The bassist (Pat O'Leary) sounds like he's standing a good 5 ft to the back right of the band. The clarinet and saxophone are positioned to the right as well, but closer in. Guitar is positioned lo the left, directly across from the woodwinds. The spacial cues, reverb, and echo of the hall put you right there.

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #23 - 04/02/23 at 02:03:15

One thing that is very evident is these speaker sound their best when your ears are on plane with the drivers. Since I was taking the drivers out of the cabinets I thought I would take the feet off the bottom and set these on isolation footers. This lowered the center of the drivers from my ears by about 8".  This arrangement sounded pretty darn good, and I stayed pretty convinced this was the place to be. The other night I was listening and I lowered my listening position and wow- what a difference it made to be right on center. This is definitely where the magic happens. Now every time I listen I look like a bored teenager watching the same Friends rerun they just saw a week ago. Guess I it time to get those other feet back on.

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #24 - 04/02/23 at 04:33:33

I need to clarify that I would look like a bored teenager sloshed down on the couch, but with a smile on my face and taping my toes.Not the angry version who looks annoyed with everything.

IP Logged
MattyW
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 04/03/23 at 01:51:09

I've found even the Silver series of drivers and transparent enough to show clear differences between different power cables, fuses and power conditioning hey.... I now consider it a must have. Running Synergistic Research Purple fuses all round, and Audiolund Duelund tinned copper power cables all round. XTreme for the power amp and Reference for everything else. Theres a Thor DRM95/20 installed on in my power fuse box which made a huge improvement, and a Musical Paradise MP-T3500 balanced isolation transformer which improved things further.... Differences in the networking side of things are even audible so a big fan of the Network Acoustic Muon Pro system, and Renolabs Ultimate Audio switch.... The more transparent the sound chain gets the more all these other thing switch shouldn't make a difference do make a difference.

Interestingly I found use of the low mass EIZZ EZ-301 binding posts to give significantly better results to the considerably more expensive ETI solid copper posts. Changing the wiring inside the speaker cabinets for solid core Duelund copper twisted with smaller gauge Duelund solid core silver had already brought a considerable improvement. The stock binding posts and wiring in Lii speakers is a weak point in their sonics so very worth changing.  :)

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #26 - 04/03/23 at 03:23:56

The thing that gets be about these drivers, is they keep getting better, which shouldn't surprise me, but I guess I wasn't ready for how much better. Granted, I'm sure some of that has to do with the introduction of a new power cord, but this is like going from watching Avatar on your TV at home to going to the theatre and watching in 3D on a big screen. As good as the S10's these are truly are at another level. I would go as far and say they are in a different league.

When I was in grade school my buddy Andy had an all Technics system, receiver, turntable and speakers. which at the time Technics was know for putting out good sounding equipment, especially for a grade school kid. I always enjoyed hanging out at his house, listening to music until we just couldn't anymore. Definitely rock n roll back then. That's a time when bands like Zeppelin, AC/DC, Joe Walsh, the Eagles, Stones, so many more were releasing new music. Between the two of use we were able to keep up with buying new music to feed our addiction.The excitement of cutting off the cellophane wrapper, and slowly turning over the cover so the album doesn't fall out on to the floor. Only to be one of those albums that you couldn't get the darn thing out. From that time on I was hooked. My whole life I've been working to get a system of this magnitude. These drivers are a perfect piece of the puzzle to take me back to excitement I got when I first listened as a kid.

Music now just exists in my room. Listening to Celestial Echo by Malia, Boris Blank starts off with three big bass drums being struck that sit about 6 feet high. One to the left, one on center and to the right. The skin of the drum has meat and weight to it as it's being struck. Not in a slow syrupy way. You get presented the whole range of sound that makes up this musical note. From the tactile strike of the skin to the deep vibration that continues, which echoes through the whole soundstage. Way beyond the outside edges of the speakers. This is a new life experience revived.

arigato smileys

IP Logged
MattyW
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 04/03/23 at 04:22:15

Definitely check out pretty much any Melody Gardot album. Wink

I get the taken back to teenage years comment. Definitely get that with the AudioGD R7HE Mk2 2022 DAC in place..... The Accurate Audio Ultimate D1000 also did it though in a different way. The AudioGD imaging however does it for me more as it has tube like imaging through in there with the D1000 lacks in comparison..... The D1000 on the other hand is master of nuance and texture to voices and instrumentation...... Trade offs.

Anyway, approx 2 weeks and I'll have my new speakers. It's difficult to wait though currently at about 210 hours burn in on the DAC and a new OCXO clock arrived for it this morning so that should be intersting given the difference a high quality OCXO word clock made on my Soundaware D300REF streamer. The speakers really are the last part of the jigsaw
puzzle   Grin

Can’t wait to hear it will my new speakers

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #28 - 04/03/23 at 19:19:50

I can't wait to hear more reviews on these drivers. Please send picks and let us know your experience with how they sound. I'm sure you'll be very pleased.

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #29 - 04/03/23 at 19:22:12

Oh and yes- a big thumbs up on Ms. Gardot

IP Logged
Mamu
Verified Member

Reply #30 - 04/04/23 at 02:07:12

I wonder when Steve's DIY cabinet designs will be available for Lii Platinum 10s.  I have Silver 10 speakers, but I'd rather have dedicated ones for the Platinum

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #31 - 04/04/23 at 05:55:38

I can't wait to get these drivers in a cabinet design specifically for them.

IP Logged
MattyW
Verified Member

Reply #32 - 04/04/23 at 06:03:02

The big 467L cabinets I have being made for mine are specifically for the PT-10. Should give great results. Leo and Lii Song indicated to me that any cabinet with sufficient internal volume and port tuned should give phenomenal results hence my going down this path even though I love the sound of back loaded horns..... Besides, achieving that volume with a back loaded horn would have likely taken more space than I have to play with.

With some luck they'll be completed next week and be ready to deliver the following week  ;)

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 04/06/23 at 21:49:54

Just placed an order Geno.  Let me know when yours ship.  Long story but I won a little cash in Vegas...

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 04/06/23 at 22:32:05

I know Geno is planning this for his OB—are you planning the same Tom? I’m very interested to know your impressions, if so.

I’m also in touch with Randy to discuss the possibility to listen to the Platinum 10 in a Caintuck baffle during this years Decfest.  Long shot, but worth a try if early reports are positive.  I don’t intend to go back to a cabinet design anytime soon.

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 04/06/23 at 22:37:58

Yes, I will try them in OB.  I've been wanting to build a smaller OB for my cottage system and even considered buying a set of used Crystal 10 for that purpose.

But hearing about the P10 and the windfall in Vegas, I decided to try them.  If it works out, the C10s I now use at home in OB will go to the cottage build.

I could also build some cabinets just to see.  I'd probably wait to see what Steve comes up with.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #36 - 04/07/23 at 04:15:01

Hi Tom and Kamran. Yep, the descriptions of the Platinum 10’s were just too good not to try them.

The Crystals are so good, there was not a reason in the world to want to do something different. I have listened to a whole lot of music thru them, and enjoyed every minute of it. It does not take much for the upgrade bug to bite.

I’m really excited about this change. You prolly saw my questions on Facebook about shipping and driver size compared to the older 10’s. Sounds like a few more weeks before they might have some in stock. And not sure about the cut out in the baffles working for the new.

It will be interesting to see how these work in open baffles with the much lower Qts. Even with the 15’s matched with them. I saw where the Lii Facebook page moderator Bas, plans to use one of Leon’s other designs for his forthcoming Platinums. He said he was matching them with two 12” bass drivers in each speaker.

Tom, Is there reason to think that the “magic cables” need to be modified with the driver change, or would the same resistor be ok?

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 04/07/23 at 13:45:21

If the holes line up I should be ok.  I have a bit of room as the C10s are rear mounted. I can also rout if necessary as it won’t be visible from the front and it can be a little sloppy.

Resistor should be fine.  That’s more of an amp thing I think.

For my smaller OBs in the 2nd system I was thinking about using the C10 with two 12s.  Less width.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 04/07/23 at 18:03:01

Yeah Geno, I did notice your post—sorry about the delay.  Hopefully, it won’t be too long.

Tom—lucky dawg! Great timing for the windfall!

I have it on good authority that at least the Platinum 15 won’t fit the existing cut outs of the Caintuck baffle. I think the same may apply for the Platinum 10.  That said, I’m not necessarily in a rush as I am still very much in my honeymoon period with the Fast 15s, but watching this space closely.  The question I ask myself (or future me) is whether to remain with Lii Audio or try the PAP Duets that Guttenberg uses as his reference.  The latter being significantly more expensive does give me pause  and I do want to audition them but I don’t think any dealers carry them and apart from Steve, there aren’t many reviews out there.

Maybe I can try to convince Guttenberg to let me come over for a listen one of these days (Brooklyn being an hour and change from my place)….you never know until you try….

Innuos Pulse-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE R2R-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-Project Carbon Debut TT-Schiit Mani Phono-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 04/07/23 at 18:42:07

Hey Geno,

I'm not sure you are getting your (and my) question answered on the Facebook post.  The response seems to be related to the existing S10 cabinet.

I just checked and I have maybe 1/4" or so before I'd have to reroute.  So long as the diameter of the outside flange is not bigger than that I may get away with it.   I don't care about the holes as I am rear mounting anyway.

Overall, what I hope to accomplish with the P10 is to do away with the additional tweeter I am using with the C10 and maybe get some more detail.  Also, I do sense the C10 struggling on some tracks when too much is thrown at it.

I'm still floored by the tone and lifelike sounds from the Acoustic Elegance LO15 bass drivers, so as long as I can blend those with the P10, I think I'm fine with the bass.

I didn't really need to upgrade, and skipped the S10 when it came out, but the P10 might be worth the extra $$.

P.S. the dimensions for the S10 and the P10 are the same on the Lii Song web site.  Not sure that means anything as it may have been a cut and paste situation.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #40 - 04/07/23 at 19:03:34

Quote:
the dimensions for the S10 and the P10 are the same on the Lii Song web site.

I noticed that too. It looks like the flange is wider. The fact that it is a “10 inch” driver, I’m hoping that the cone on the PT-10 is the same size as the C-10, and therefore fit in the opening. But if not, it won’t be that hard to resize the cutout a bit.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 04/07/23 at 19:05:18

I sent an email to Lii Song asking for dimensions.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 04/07/23 at 19:10:33

I did find this in another thread:

As for hole, it's 288 mm outer and 258 mm inner diameter.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #43 - 04/07/23 at 19:59:35

Very good.

So the conversion for the actual hole is about 10.15"

The Crystal cut out is 9.86", for a difference of just over 1/4".

Prolly just a little trimming around the edges would make it work for my front mount.

Thanks,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 04/07/23 at 21:01:35

I'm more concerned about the outer which is around 11.3".   I got the original Crystal 10 specs.  273 vs 288 so more than 1/2" or 1/4" all around.  I might have that but likely I will have to do some routing.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #45 - 04/07/23 at 21:19:24

I can see that, with that beefy flange.

I guess we won’t know exactly until we get the drivers.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #46 - 04/08/23 at 04:22:25

Although I find these speakers very easy to place, they will definitely will let know know when you have some work to do in getting to their final destination.
I put new footers on them to lift them up a bit so I don't have crouch down when I'm listening.
After putting them back in what I thought was the same place, my initial thought was what the heck did I do, this sounds horrible. I gave it a little time to make sure it wasn't just me. Tried clearing my ears, knocking myself on the head to loosen up what ever it was that was doing this to me. It was definitely a sad moment.
The sound stage sounded anemic, it was a little brittle, and disconnected. Whoa, what now? I tried not to panic, and blame it all on the new footers.
I moved the left speaker in a bit, ok a little better, then adjusted the toe in on each back, and forth until I found their home. Viola- it was back, and I was very happy.
I think the reason I find these easy to place, is because they really let you know when we've found where they like to be. Now it's time to enjoy the ride again.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 04/08/23 at 05:18:28

Hey Kamran,

I share your interest in the PAP Duet. Especially after spending time with my F15s. I'm sold on 15 inch drivers, so keep us informed if you get to audition the Duets, whether it's with Guttenberg or someone else.

Thanks,
Randy

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 04/08/23 at 16:54:29

Drew, all really interesting to hear and thanks for sharing.

how does rock music sound with the new P driver in the origin cabinets at higher volumes?

Something like queen - these are the days of my life, or def leopard - hysteria, or eagles - hotel California, or big sugar - heart refuse to pound, etc.  Do they lose it a bit at higher volumes or does it make you want to listen through the song?

Trying to understand how balanced that new frequency range is and how much more midrange density and bass there is?

Were you using Steve’s small network with your origins?

Thanks for all.
John

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 04/08/23 at 19:19:14

Are we talking about using a network for the new Platinum drivers that was specifically designed to be used with a different driver, namely the Fast 15s?

I would assume that any network will change the sound, but the whole point of Steve spending so much effort and time developing that network for the Fast 15s was to correct some frequency response roughness he had identified using those specific drivers.

Asking for a friend.
Grin

I do not believe that Steve's Fast15 correction network could be considered in any way as a universal correction to any and all Lii drivers even if the exact same frequency ranges are to be involved in a correction. Maybe I'm wrong.

I don't know anything about the new Platinum drivers, but let us know what you find.
Thanks.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #50 - 04/09/23 at 00:04:23

I thought the network was for the silver 10, but I could easily have been mistaken.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 04/09/23 at 01:10:09

It was for the Fast 15

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 04/09/23 at 02:24:39

Thanks appreciate it all

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 04/09/23 at 02:43:20

Quote:

Hey Kamran,

I share your interest in the PAP Duet. Especially after spending time with my F15s. I'm sold on 15 inch drivers, so keep us informed if you get to audition the Duets, whether it's with Guttenberg or someone else.

Thanks,
Randy

Will do Randy.  If anything, the hopefully soon to be released Platinum 15 interests me more due to the same reason that I’m also sold on 15’’ drivers but a big question looms as to whether it will nearly as good for OB vs. cabinet.  We should have more clarity later as more of these drivers land stateside and ppl begin to experiment.

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #54 - 04/09/23 at 03:16:41

Hey John,
I apologize in advance- I really rambled on this one.
To, answer your question about using one of Steve’s networks. I am not using any type of crossover, or network for these drivers. In fact, I removed the binding posts and internal wiring that the origin speakers came with. I hard-wired my speaker cables directly to the back of the binding posts on the drivers themselves.
Your taking be me back a few years with the tracks you selected. High and Dry came out when I was in high school. I remember coming back from the first of two a day practices for football. After eating something I would lay on my bed, put on my headphones with this album cranked and fall asleep. If my ears could only take that kind of abuse now.
What I consider loud may be tame to your liking. Using an app on my iPhone, I’m getting about 88db peaks for my long-term listening volume. At this level, the soundstage fills in, and out nicely, the music has really good attack, decay and texture. There is no glare, harshness or bloat to the sound.
The other day I put on Robin Trower “Bridge of Sighs”. This is one of those albums I wore out as a kid. As my system has evolved through the years with each level of refinement, I would put this album on with anticipation, only to be disappointed time and time again. It always sounded good, but just didn’t have that sparkle, or texture, maybe a little flat, and 2D. Really well recorded music has a tendence to take the fun out of some great music that’s out there. They sound so darn good, they disinfect the sound of lesser quality recordings.

When you get fed some really good ear candy, it’s hard to go back to Chicklets.

I have to say. when I listened to this album the other day, I am happy to report, this sounded like whole different recording. I was streaming FLAC 44.1 16 bit via Tidal. The sound of the snare had a resonance that I’d never heard in this recording. On the track “Bridge of Sighs” the sound of the guitar has a metallic grit to it that I never identified with before. It wasn’t in a screechy, obnoxious way, that annoyed.
I mentioned in a prior post upstream, that I added a new PC about week and a half after I installed the P10's. I know the PC took a vail off the sound- it was an upgrade I’m very glad I made. But- what these speakers do is to not only keep pace, rhythm, dynamics, textures, decay, tone ,through the hole song, they add a dimension of a tactile presence. The palpability they add is what keeps me pulled in. It’s what really separates them from anything else I’ve heard. The PC definitely cleaned things up- but these drivers are taking what is provided and doing some really amazing stuff.
Let’s look at your play list. I’m going to give an impression of each. All streaming SD via Tidal.
Hysteria- This sounded pretty good. Big soundstage. On “Women” the snare was set back in the soundstage- it doesn’t have the same presents or weight, as it might on some other recordings. When I listen to rock music, I like the drums to have weight and presents. To me it helps heighten the sense of realism. This recording didn’t offer that. But- on “Hysteria”, it came out a little more. Still not convincing, but better.
Hotel California- The live version of course sounded great- puts you there. The studio version is to me- like one of those “Bridge of Sighs” recordings. Don’t know what to expect. Let’s just put it this way. I listened to the whole album.
Big Sugar- “When My Heart Refused” Was more on the Hysteria side. It sounded good, but the base was muddy, the background chorus was washed out, but other parts of it sounded good. Kinda of hit and miss with this one.
As good as these speakers have the ability to heighten the experience of listening to music, they can only portray with what they are fed. With a good recording you have all the positives mentioned above that makes these drivers special. While there are still recordings you like, but don’t bring that magic, I’ve found them fewer and fewer with these. Pour recordings and upstream limitations do show themselves, and I mean that as a compliment.

IP Logged
johnnycopy
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 04/09/23 at 06:34:48

Thanks so much for taking the time Drew.

Ihave origins and also less resolving hawthorne audio silver iris 15 inch based ob baffles that I can run hard.  They have less transparency than the origins, but you can turn them up and they never offend.

Different speakers certainly allow of different music quality to provide more or less listening pleasure.

I talked to Lii audio, they suggested I may want to add a ring to support the interior of the origin for the added weight of the platinum driver if converting.

I have heard others mention the less is more for the copper mounts as well.

Also that wire inside the origin appears a common target.  What type of wire did you use?

Thanks again, much much appreciated.

John

IP Logged
PDXDrew

Reply #56 - 04/09/23 at 18:03:16

Hey John,

During my review above, I didn't find any of the recordings offensive, or off putting. They just didn't sound nearly as good.

Some things that come to mind, that will hopefully help.

You could try to EQ the frequencies down on the recordings that aren't working for you.

Room treatments make a big difference to tame harsh music. Steve has some great info on that.

Upstream components and cabling also make a big difference, especially in regards to digital.

I removed the internal wiring and run my speaker cables direct. Using Silversmith cables.

Speaker position makes a big difference in SQ. If you haven't spent the time to find the perfect placement, and toe in for the origins it would be time well spent. Once you find that perfect position- mark the floor with painter tape. Especially if you're swapping speakers back and forth.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #57 - 04/13/23 at 04:06:13

Hey Palo,

Someone posted this on the Lii Facebook page. Supposed to be the PT-10.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 04/13/23 at 13:17:17

Thanks. That’s what I got in an email from Lii but hadn’t had a chance to post it.  

Looks like some router work for me.  I think I’ll mount them in my old baffles first for breakin / evaluation and if it’s worth it I’ll build some new baffles.   I think I can do some fairly nice ones for around $300.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 04/13/23 at 13:18:54

Hey Kamran,

I’ll hear some PAP at Axpona.  You never know what combo they will have running but they have a listening room there.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 04/14/23 at 12:58:25

I see the P10 can be purchased thru Decware. Still a couple of months before expected delivery. Interesting that Decware passes warranty issues to Lii audio but very understandable being the backlog of Decware equipment is over 2100++. Plus, speaker driver repair is ancient history for Decware.

https://www.decwareproducts.com/product-page/lii-song-platinum-10

John

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #61 - 04/15/23 at 06:03:21

Hey Pal,

If you're looking for good baffle material, check the link below. Good size, good thickness, good price. Larger sizes are available, too.  HEAVY, though. I'm using it for a smaller open baffle, and I don't think I'll be getting any unwanted resonance.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-4-ft-L-x-25-in-D-Unfinished-Hevea-Solid-...

Randy

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 04/15/23 at 06:21:44

I’ve been looking around for a countertop.  That’s a great price.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 05/31/23 at 22:03:20

I should get my drivers tomorrow.  I already routed the back of my existing baffles.  It wasn't pretty, but I think I have the hole the right size.  Should be an easy install.

I'll give it a little time for setup/breakin but should be able to tell you if these work in an OB setup.  I'll need to futz with crossover placement, etc.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 06/01/23 at 03:36:05

That’s awesome—hopefully, this means Geno should be getting his drivers soon too.  Looking forward to your impressions!

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 06/02/23 at 12:42:01

Straight out of the box impressions are positive.

I just put them in and adjusted nothing for the first couple of hours except to turn the crown up a few notches to more closely match the LO15s to the increased volume of the P10s.

You will not want for volume with a Zen 2 watt-er.  I checked volume a few times to see what I was listening at and it was 86db or higher each time.  I'll note today where I had the volume set on my DAC.  I would guess it was lower than usual.  I do think they like a little power to bloom.

They sort out the detail in the music better.  More detail and micro detail help with providing a more dimensional soundstage, instrument separation, etc.  Also, the instruments have a more realistic timbre.  Many tracks sound like a different mix.  I am not feeling the need to use my upfiring tweeter.  The large soundstage and sizzle is there without it.  Cymbals are more pornounced.

I eventually raised the low pass on the woofers to 180hz.  I'll do some more listening and measurement and see where I go.  Also, these probably just need time for the low end to fill in a bit.

So most of the WTFDID angst is dissipating.  Now its just a matter of time and tweaking.  They hold great promise.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #66 - 06/02/23 at 14:41:17

"WTFDID" was new to me, but within the context of your review, pretty easy to figure out.  :)

Congrats on your new drivers.  May they provide countless hours of pleasure and delight.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Media Converter | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 06/02/23 at 14:53:35

I may have just made that acronym up.

I did a rough level adjustment of the three "systems."  I took the volume all the way down on each amp, then used the P10 as my source system to set the initial volume and then used a meter to make bass drivers and sub all play at the same level.  They all move in sync now when I adjust volume through my DAC.

The result was this morning I listened at low volume and it was fairly balanced and enjoyable.  I was probably around 75db.

So, the break-in has begun.   Playing a 230 song playlist now.

Once I have some hours in, I'll do some measurements.  I can overlay the P10 measurements on top of my C10 measurements to see what I get.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #68 - 06/02/23 at 16:52:11

I echo Tom's description of the P-10 being more resolving than the C-10. I am hearing more detail.

Last night, I started the listening with albums. Pretty even sound across the board. I made no adjustments coming from the C-10. Very happy.

A bit later, I switched to digital (thru my modded CXN) and for the most part was happy. A few of my favorite test tracks sounded a bit bright. Break-in will tell if that evens out.

Tom, I anxiously await your measurement comparisons. I could not help but feel like maybe a little adjustment might be needed to smooth things out.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 06/03/23 at 01:33:42

Tom and Geno—both of your early reports on the suitability of the P10 on OB are very encouraging.  Remind me, are both of you using Lii bass drivers in conjunction with the P10s?

Wondering how much the low end takes a hit (no pun intended) running just the P10 (or P15) full range compared to the Fast 15’s, where the low end is very satisfying.

Geno—looking forward to your next YouTube drop!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #70 - 06/03/23 at 03:16:38

Hey Kamran.

Yep, so far so good with the new drivers. They sound very good. I am using the Lii W-15 bass drivers with mine, and Tom is using Acoustic Elegance 15’s.

You will need bass support with these. Not sure about P-15.

As soon as I feel like these are broken in pretty well, I’ll post a video.

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 06/03/23 at 11:40:37

Hi Kamran,

I am currently crossing with the AE LO15 at 200hz.  About 40hz higher than with the C10.   We’ll see if I lower that as the P10s break in.  I can’t speak for the W15s because I haven’t heard them enough, but the LO15s are excellent drivers.  Combined with the P10s I’m getting the best bass so far.  I do run a sub from 40hz - 20hz.  I like that extension for some music.  

Getting all three drivers integrated takes a bit but it’s fairly seamless.  My son and his friends produce electronic music and love that car rumbling bass and when they hear how tight and musical it can be they flip out.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 06/03/23 at 12:14:19

I'd also add that I am intrigued by Steve's much more purist approach with the folded horn.  His price on the plans is extremely reasonable.  Many moons ago I built the original DNA type setup with the DM945s and separate bass cabinets.  Those were well regarded by all who heard them.  They didn't go that low, but produced some pretty musical bass.

I'm a better wood worker now so I'm sure I could build those cabinets.

But I've been combining 15" mid bass drivers in OBs for some time now.

Under Randy's tutelage, I started with the Eminence 15As, then the Hawthorne Audio Augies.  Then I sprung for the Acoustic Elegance LO15s and haven't regretted it.  I've also heard and been impressed with the Pure Audio Project version of the 15A.  You used to be able to buy them individually.  

There was some dustup between Acoustic Elegance and Lii Song over the design similarities between the W15 and their 15" drivers.  I'd expect they are very similar sounding but I haven't been able to spend enough time with the W15s at the fest to know.

I'm terrible about selling my used gear, so I still have the baffles/crossover/drivers for my TangBand W1808/15A setup that just ran off my Rachael.  That was a more simplistic approach but if you want big bass, you'd need to step up to some of the other, less efficient drivers I've mentioned and pair them with a high watt amp (like a Crown).

If the P10s work out, I am thinking of combining my old C10s with a 12" from AE or Lii in a smaller baffle for my second system with Rachael.  Right now, in that system I am running the 945s with a sub I built.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #73 - 06/03/23 at 15:27:25

I am really enjoying discs by this singer from the Netherlands.

Josee Koning E Grupo "In Concert At Nick Vollebregt´s Café"

From a discogs seller in the Netherlands

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #74 - 06/03/23 at 16:27:24

deleted post

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #75 - 06/03/23 at 16:58:41

Good morning Lon.

FYI, you’re in the wrong thread Wink

Hope you have a great weekend!

Best,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #76 - 06/03/23 at 17:01:25

Yes I see that. Happens sometime. I'll fix that. Thanks. Have a nice weekend. (They're all weekends for me, especially since my wife is also now retired).

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 06/08/23 at 11:43:43

I thought I'd check in as break-in continues.  I listen and tweak each day so this is hardly a control experiment in terms of comparing to my C10 setup.  But here are some thoughts.

First observation is that these drivers can get away from you in terms of volume and resulting glare.  They are very clear, so if you are adjusting volume for lower gain tracks as they pop up on a play list, all of a sudden you can be over 90db on later tracks without realizing it.  Then, say you come up to a track you know can be intense and you wince as the some of the peaks are hit.

I dialed back my zibit and then readjusted the volume on the bass amps and it helps me stay in the 80-85db range.  I intend to continue experimenting with zbit adjustments as that has helped to smooth everything out.  I could also be benefitting from breakin here but I'm not sure.  I don't have that many hours in to them.

I haven't felt the need to mess with speaker position.  I'm about 4' off the front wall with speaker placement (16'X12.5' room).  My ~7' triangle remains the same and I have the drivers toe'd in to where the P10s are pointed at my ear.  If you see it, you might feel its too extreme, but after years of experimenting in my room with toe in and the resulting trade-offs width and depth of soundstage, this toe in is optimal for me.  For my room, the amount of toe in is like adjusting a camera lens.  Want more depth, then more toe in.  Want more width, then more toe out.   I've messed with it a lot, but now the floor is taped for my two OB speaker sets.

"Highs" are very good.  I've heard some high end (expensive) stand alone tweeters and while the P10 is not as good, its really pretty good.  One thing on high end tweeters, for me, is they tend to be noticeable.  They call too much attention to the highs.  Could vary a lot by speaker, but I feel the highs on the P10 are nicely balanced and a significant step above the C10.  They add shimmer and sparkle but its pretty natural and integrated, if you get my drift.  P10s do good cymbal.

Soundstage thoughts.  I was getting great soundstage with the C10s.  Pinpoint positioning.  Great width.  Maybe not the front to back depth and dimension I wanted.  I was thinking about how to improve this before I got the P10s.  Anyway, the P10s have the same pinpoint imaging, but with more definition and detail which helps with instrument separation, soundstage depth, but the big difference from the C10s is the size and what I'll call wraparound factor.

The C10s needed a little juice to produce the big soundstage, and I would get the wrap around your listening position on certain tracks.  I'm finding the P10s to not need as much juice and they achieve more of a wrap around soundstage on more basic tracks.  This helps me keep the volume down while not giving up too much in terms of sonic image.

So overall, at this point, they appear to be keepers despite being a bit of a beast to tame.  I asked myself last night, would I want to go back to the C10s? and the answer was a firm no.  Do I feel the need to build the horns?  Not yet.   I'm still working on integrating the lows but the thought of the sawdust in my newly cleaned garage is not something I want to experience just yet.  I'll give the OB configuration more time.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 06/08/23 at 12:26:42

Thanks for your input on these Palomino. Very helpful. Open baffle just won't work in my room. I am really considering the horns as a final speaker build.
John

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 06/09/23 at 01:56:16

Tom, thanks for the update.  I figure more burn in to tame the nasties—-still early days.  Thanks for mentioning the wraparound effect.  I should have used it the other day when I was describing changes to my rig with the new LPS and TWL cables.  I’ve been getting more of it lately—makes it harder to pry myself from the sweet spot.

I have about 800 hrs on the Fast 15’s conservatively speaking.  Makes me wonder if there is any truth to some reports from F15 customers who observed that their drivers hit the sweet spot in the 800-1000 hr range.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #80 - 06/09/23 at 03:22:08

Great write up, Tom.

Glare can be an issue with these. Your suggestion of turning the Zbit down, and Amp up more, has helped with this.

The Crystals seemed to be more consistent across the board, and I have many favorite tracks, that always sound great on them. But some of these don’t sound as good on the Platinums. I think that with the added clarity of the P10, they are not very forgiving, and expose any weakness in a recording. Other favorites sound better than ever.

My issue with digital, is that I have a huge library of recordings that I have downloaded on computer, from many different sources. The P10’s are exposing some of these to be not as good as I thought they were. I don’t stream from a streaming service.

The most amazing thing with the new drivers, is how much better my phono rig sounds. Tonight, I listened to a high quality recording of an album I’ve listened to since I was 16, and was absolutely shocked at how much better it sounded.

Bottom line is that, with consistently good recordings, these things are wonderful. And I have faith that they will get even better, and smooth out more, as they break in.

*Edit - I got to thinking, if my records sound so much better, maybe I need to try tape. As I type this, I’m listening to a mix tape that I recorded a while back. So much better, that it’s like listening to a different tape. The new drivers react very well to the warmth of analog. Wow!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 06/09/23 at 10:12:37

Now I'm jealous Geno! Looking forward to a visit with Steve and playing with these P10 powerhouses.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 06/09/23 at 11:46:55

I flipped the bias switch to the less aggressive position and listening to that today.  Last night it seemed goid.

It took me quite a while to get the C10s the way I like them.  Tubes, amp settings, Zbit adjustment, etc. The 25th is pretty versatile.  I’d think a mini Torri owner would enjoy tinkering with these drivers.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 06/26/23 at 19:54:00

I dug out some old baffles and recut them for my Crystal 10s and added some Hawthorne Audio Augies and my upfiring tweeter setup.  

These are now my Michigan cottage speakers which I spent the last 10 days listening to.  It was the first time hearing the C10s since getting the P10s.  They sounded great and now I have a louder system, and a decent soundstage at the cottage.

When I got back, I listened to the P10 OBs and was really blown away by the punch, dynamics and detail.  

There are some differences in terms of setup (25th-Home/Rachael- Cottage), Acoustic Elegance woofers vs Augies but the pop in these P10s is the key difference.  

I have been following the folded horn thread and believe every account of Steve's experience.  These P10s are a different experience than any other Lii offering.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 08/07/23 at 23:07:29

Just a quick update.  These drivers have broken in nicely.  No hint of harshness now.  Best speaker setup I've had to date.  I am most anxious to compare what I am hearing in my room to the folded horns at the fest.

IP Logged
MattyW
Verified Member

Reply #85 - 08/07/23 at 23:20:23

I'm visiting China soon so will get to have a listen the the Lii Song built versions of the Headwrecker DFH10. It will be interesting to see how these differ in sound from my big bass reflex cabinets.

In agreeance, these are the best sounding speakers I've ever heard.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 08/07/23 at 23:26:00

I'll be listening to see if the bass is as punchy and clear as what I have with 15" drivers/biamp approach but more coherent.

It's my opinion that the C10 was not at the same performance level of the Acoustic Elegance bass drivers and the P10 is.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print