Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 16:11:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What dry brush are you guys using? (Read 3374 times)
JBzen
Seasoned Member

What dry brush are you guys using?
03/14/23 at 11:05:09

Every since my main home run power was beefed up to 9AWG to the system the vinyl loop has trumped the digital one. Not that the digital is weak or thin or cannot be magical, it just vinly is adding something special 🤔 hard to describe other than it seems more tactical with girth and fluidity.

I cleaned my collection and many more recently added with the vinyl vac system which improved the albums by lowering the noise floor. It is the the power upgrade that made the biggest difference. Anyhow, the Discwasher system brush has been used over the years dry to clean records before play to remove surface dust. The micro cloth fibers on the brush are surely full of oil from my hands because of the bad habit of using palm/finger backs in an attempt to remove collected dust from it after brushing the album. It needs replaced. The companion needle brush is always used after lp play and still going to be used.

What kind of brush do you guys use for prep and post of lp playing? Bristles of camel, carbon, goat? Inline, filbert, fan brush types?

Thanks for any input.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Re: What dry brush are you guys using?
Reply #1 - 03/14/23 at 11:40:11

I use a Hunt EDA Mk6 record brush. Good at removing surface lint & dirt. Doesn't do much to reduce static build up. I think Music Hall may have bought them out, as I don't see much availability through online sources.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 03/14/23 at 15:31:40

I've been using a carbon fiber brush similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT6011-Anti-Static-Record-Brush/dp/B01GE1Z...

just not Audio-Techinca brand. It works fine (for me at least) and buying from Amazon you can try it out for yourself and send it back if you don't like it.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 03/14/23 at 16:38:01

John,

I use the AudioQuest anti static record brush and it works well.  Amazon has it 15% off for like $16 bucks.  It looks exactly the same as the Audio Technica brand that James uses.  I’m sure they are all the same.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006VMBHI?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_VRRGEY8TCR4WN1T34CZN&d...

When I was at Decfest years ago…I saw Steve use a Swiffer Duster to pull dust off an album before playing each side.  Out of curiosity I decided to try it.   So now…before I clean my records...I use the duster to pull surface dust off before it goes through the disc washer.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Zork
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/14/23 at 17:39:40

I have and had used the Audioquest carbon fiber brush with the static discharge feature.  For me it leaves lots of dust behind.  I have been using the MoFi Record Cleaning Brush and I was using teeny drops of distilled water from a small bottle but just the other day I bought some small brown glass spray bottles from Amazon to mist the brush and this is the best day to day solution I've found.  It does not get very wet and helps with static and catches most dust.

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #5 - 03/14/23 at 21:58:28

I use a brush like this one.
https://a.co/d/8ip4BCo
I've had it for the past four or five years and been very happy with it. Great at removing dust and I never have issues with static. Bristles never come loose either. My friends do ask why I keep  a shaving brush next to my turntable, though.  ;)

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #6 - 03/14/23 at 22:13:30

For years I was using the Discwasher brush. I stopped using it since it was leaving more dust than it was removing. I now use a carbon fiber brush.
I also use a Zerostat and canned air to remove all traces of dust.

I still use the Discwasher little wooden handle brush to clean my stylus.

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Master3, Odyssey Candela Preamp and Suspiro phono preamp Counterpoint NP100 amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Goldenear Triton One speakers, CD240 CDP, Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables and IC, Decware IC, ZKit 1, ZDAC.
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #7 - 03/15/23 at 15:08:44

I start with the Zerostat, and finish with this :  https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/42882/AcousTech-The_Big_Record_Brush-Record_C...
leaner

Very effective.

Cheers,                  Crazy Bill

IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/16/23 at 04:36:28

I used to use the audio-technica style with the black bristles, but man, they have a tendency to shed. I prefer this revolv goat hair brush:

https://www.amazon.com/Revolv-Goats-Record-Cleaning-Brush/dp/B01D2DJHR8

I use a herbie's way excellent mat, which cuts down on static.

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/16/23 at 13:13:10

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think, after reading a lot of reviews on the various items, the Discwasher brush is going to continue in service. It never scratched an album of mine and all micro fibers are intact. It does a good job gathering dust. Rubbing it on a mirror leaves no residue so the oil concern is not an issue. I used a new tooth brush to clean the micro fibers...it works well but a bit small for the task.

I took before and after pictures of actually doing the above and will post later.

Going to order this:

Barber Neck Duster Brush Wood Handle with Hook for Hair Cutting (Neck brush+Black brush) https://a.co/d/3AjK65w

The small black brush looks to be a good cleaning tool for the Discwasher brush. The barber brush will be good to have handy for quick removal of incidental debris.

Most of the time reviews on Amazon can be seen threw but this time it was a source of frustration leading to rethinking of retiring Discwasher.

Thanks again.
John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/16/23 at 14:47:30

This a view of how the pictures are taken. The white spot has always been in the fabric and serves as a reference for the next two photos.
This is a shot of the micro fiber’s facing the lense.
A shot with micro fibers facing the othe way.
Shot after brushing a clean disk.
Shot after cleaning Dishwasher with toothbrush.
John

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/16/23 at 15:38:12

I've kept a Discwasher around for ages. Well since I first bought one. I've bought three over the years. My original one came in a nice walnut case, which I kept also.

I've often wondered about those big fluffy brushes as in your link, but never bought one until today. Sometimes, the "dust" is sitting almost above the surface of the LP and there is no need of an additional super fine micro fiber cleaning process, especially if some surface dust adherred from one hand to the next after a good cleaning. The one time price is less than some of my monthly subscriptions.
I barely thought about it; just clicked through to order. I'll be giving that a try soon.

I also have a few carbon fiber brushes I've tried over the years and for a recently cleaned record they seem to do OK. I think the Audio Technica is the best one I have. Bristles seem more fine.
I know it's the frayed ends of those bristles that do all the work, but with finer bristles it just feels like I have a better chance of getting those frayed ends deeper into where they need to be to do thier work.

I have gone with "experimental" cleaning fluids for use in conjunction with the Discwasher brush. Sometimes a preferred brand name fluid is difficult to find without ordering and waiting a week.
I settled on a typical solution of distilled water, tiny bit of Isopropyl (2% to 3% total) and a drop of Photo-flo (surfactant) in a quart. Solutions are all over the internet.

But generally I use a hand cleaning process on new/unknown aquisitions, micro fiber towels and pads, finsh up with distilled water rinse, more toweling and air dry.
And Discwasher in conjunction with carbon fiber just before the needle.
One of those gel stylus pads at each play.
Zero Stat and GO!

Kind of fiddly, but worth it all for a great recording.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 03/17/23 at 10:16:23

Fortunately static is not an issue in my situation so no Zerostat is needed. I use a mixture of distilled water with 99% isopropyl alcohol and Photo-flo for a wash; distilled water and Photo-flo for a rinse. I read that Photo-flo is not ideal for surfactant use. Another solution was recommended. Going to dig that info up the next time cleaning the collection.

My playing time is being shortened by a failing turntable. The caps are going to need replaced in the power supply. LEDs on the speed stabilizer display are starting to die! There is one more album on the way that will certainly need played before a rip down.

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 03/20/23 at 16:50:21

Got the brushes today. Prefect for everyday use and rejuvenate  the old Discwasher...at a good price to boot!

John

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 03/21/23 at 10:37:55

Latest acquisition!

Not for playing records! A Craig list purchase to be used as a platter support for applying cleaner solution. This add-on should trim the cleaning process to just about 3 minutes per album(both sides). Went from 9 minutes at start to 5 minutes after replacement of the Vinyl Vac platter motor which was a disco ball motor. It bit the dust after 250 albums cleaned. The new motor rotates at 3rpm compared to old motor that rotated at .8rpm.

John

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #15 - 03/21/23 at 14:03:54

Very cool John.  I have been looking to up my game from the basic Spin Kleen washer getting something more automated.  

How long have you been using the Vinyl Vac and how do you like it?  I was looking at the vinyl doctor but thought Okki Nokki was more streamlined.   The Nokki is expensive and honestly I’m not thrilled with spending that kind of money. Any thoughts?

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #16 - 03/21/23 at 16:10:34

Don't laugh.
While not a dry method, extremely effective

https://www.google.com/search?q=steam+cleaning+records&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS844US844&...

Cheers,                     Crazy Bill

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 03/22/23 at 15:28:18

Going to remember that video Bill, if I come across any flood/mold damage LPs.

Dom, the Vinyl Vac has cleaned 300 LPs so far(600 sides). Very little signs of wear on the felt that encompasses the pickup slot. There is a spare included with the VV. It does a good job. I do like it and plan on improving for efficiency.

Here is a short video of it in action with the customizations. This video was taken with the old motor driving the platter.

https://youtu.be/IYFD3l3MOEo

It looks like the Vinyl Doctor will do as good as the Nokki at a third the cost.

John

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #18 - 03/22/23 at 19:22:06

John… thanks for sharing the video.  I like the  modifications… it really seems to make the process easier.  Good to know that the vinyl vac has done that many albums and only shows minimal signs of wear.  

The vinyl doctor does seem like it would fit my needs.  I’m acquiring between 50 and 100 used albums from a friend and family member, and the thought of spin cleaning them seems like a daunting task.  Utilizing a vac type system is definitely way more appealing.  

Dom

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 03/23/23 at 10:48:40

That is what happened to me. My son-in-law showed up one day with two boxes of a 100 or so albums. He use to attend library sales and had many duplicates. Lot of old rock that are many of my favorites. Some were abused but most just needed a good cleaning.

Enjoy!

John

IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 03/23/23 at 12:50:30

Hey, JBz, I like your Vinyl Vac!
Your process is one tenth as messy and handsy as what I have been doing for ages.
Also, your DIY effort is above the rest by a good measure.

I am curious as to what your new motor set up is like. I have tried twice to adapt an old turntable to cleaning duty and I find a lack of torque in most motors that size.
I even built a (found on the internet) controller that would slow down a more powerful motor using a portion of the waveform, but the torque issue was about the same.

Anyway, I look forward to more of your ideas!

I'm going to get a Vinyl Vac and make that a part of my routine.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 03/23/23 at 12:58:54

I like my Spin Clean, and the ritual is cathartic and a good thing to do while listening. Wink

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 03/23/23 at 14:47:03

Edit!!

DD,

I started with a similar disco ball motor case like this:
https://a.co/d/3R468FO

Replacement motor is this:
https://a.co/d/3aqI1eU

The replacement motor was a direct fit to the case used in my apparatus. These motors are geared. The gears will jump mesh if too much pressure is applied but had not noticed any of this with use. The clock wise option was chosen. The ones with both directions change when power is reapplied. That direction change will add time to the process because of the slack in the gearing.

So far 50 some LPs were cleaned and the new motor has had no hiccups. Time will tell on longevity.

I plan on doing a recap post of the build in the future.

John

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #23 - 04/24/23 at 00:56:25

As far as a dry brush goes, I'm still cheating using a natural hair shaving brush.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print